Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

We've already taken a massive risk on Richards and I don't want us to do the same on people like Townsend or Huddlestone. It reeks of poor judgement.

Or good judgement if they turn out to be good signings?

Of course, yeah - that goes without saying. On the surface though, I think they'd fail. 

I've managed to persuade myself that Richards, despite being a sicknote, can do a job for us.  Is def a risk, but could well improve on what we've got.

I might be able to persuade myself that Huddlestone, if he can be got fit and into form, can improve things, but also is a risk.

I'm really not sure I can come to terms with Townsend at anywhere near that price. Seems just to run fast without anything coming from it and what we desperately need is good quality delivery from crosses (and from dead balls / set pieces - we don't score nearly enough from the opportunities we get).

Can't believe people are comparing a wide player to a striker.

I'm not a huge Townsend fan but I know he'd be better than Weimann playing out wide. He has more power in pass and shot and the purpose and strength to beat a man on the outside or drive inside, Weimann has neither of those attributes in abundance and he's a great player in the box, not so much outside.

The price quoted is truly ridiculous but I'd rather pay £12million for Townsend than suffer another year of awful wide play, piddly shots and no early crosses.

I've managed to persuade myself that Richards, despite being a sicknote, can do a job for us.  Is def a risk, but could well improve on what we've got.

I might be able to persuade myself that Huddlestone, if he can be got fit and into form, can improve things, but also is a risk.

I'm really not sure I can come to terms with Townsend at anywhere near that price. Seems just to run fast without anything coming from it and what we desperately need is good quality delivery from crosses (and from dead balls / set pieces - we don't score nearly enough from the opportunities we get).

I completely agree

Richards was class when he was first broke through and has been unlucky with injuries and the form of Zabaleta. However I think he can still get ack on track and I think it will be a great signing (if he stays fit)

Huddlestone I've seen enough over the years to know that he is a decent player, the problem is he is inconsistent. however Sherwood knows the player and I feel will hopefully be able to get the best out of him rather than the Tom huddlestone we saw last season. 

Townsend is just a no for me. The guy is a one trick pony who is very frustrating to watch. Law of averages states that if he shoots enough he will score the odd screamer from outside the box but its not worth the 100 odd times he's cut inside, shot and missed beforehand. Not worth the money being touted and there are much better options out there!

Names are a bit underwhelming but then in the context of us finishing 17th what can we expect.

Our aim next season is to hover around midtable ,getting into top 10 would be a great achievement.It's not flashy or that exciting but its where we are currently and once we get into a more respectable position

we will be able to attract better players.

Tim Sherwood wants to sign Tottenham winger Andros Townsend.

The Aston Villa boss is a big fan of the 23-year-old England star, who played in the Euro 2016 qualifying win over Slovenia last Sunday.

He is ready to move for Townsend this summer.

Townsend has three years left on his Spurs contract, signed soon after he helped England to reach the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Sherwood is now set to turn his attentions to Townsend but Villa face a tough task agreeing a deal with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy.

Spurs were ready to allow Townsend to leave for the right offer last summer, but Levy rejected bids of £12million from Southampton and £10m from QPR.

Sherwood is a champion of young English talent and is also keen on former Spurs midfielder Tom Huddlestone, now at relegated Hull.

During his time at Tottenham, Sherwood helped to guide the likes of Harry Kane, Ryan Mason and Townsend along the road to the first team.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-transfers-aston-villa-target-5900623

Would be very happy with this - big potential.

Names are a bit underwhelming but then in the context of us finishing 17th what can we expect.

Our aim next season is to hover around midtable ,getting into top 10 would be a great achievement.It's not flashy or that exciting but its where we are currently and once we get into a more respectable position

we will be able to attract better players.

True.  This lot of signings need to NOT be on long contracts.

I'd definitely take Townsend. I think he's better than Sinclair and it's useful that he can play both RW and LW too.

Sinclair and Townsend would be pretty good down the flanks - if we can get them both playing to their potential.  Has the hallmarks of making us pretty exciting to watch - which would be a pleasant change from the last few seasons.

I'm quite surprised to see Townsend being described as 'dreadful' and the likes. He had an impressive half a season on loan at QPR a couple of seasons back, went back to Spurs and made a positive impact but has since been in and out of the team like many useful wingers there (Sigurdsson, Lennon) to name another two who would improve us but haven't been able to hold down a regular starting place at Spurs. He also was very impressive in his first few England appearances, rightly MOTM I believe in at least one of them. The guy has pace, power, can create chances and chip in with a few goals. People used to say Defoe was a 'one-trick pony' who only ever cut in and shot with power, not exactly made a bad career out of it if so.

• Like 1

In a period where we have played Weimann week in week out and shelled out on players like Bowery, Sylla, Tonev and Helenius are we really turning our noses up at Huddlestone and Townsend??????????????????/

Apparently so. 

Edit - I'm a fan of Townsend. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

We've already taken a massive risk on Richards and I don't want us to do the same on people like Townsend or Huddlestone. It reeks of poor judgement.

Good old VT writing off players before they have even kicked a ball

Sinclair and Townsend speeding on the flanks with Huddlestone pinging balls for them to run on to. That seems to be the thinking. Not so sure on huddlestone though :(

I wonder if people said the same when some had doubts about N'Zogbia?

I think other team's fans would be perplexed if they read these boards. Right - so they've just finished 17th, last summer their marquee signing was Kieran Richardson, the summer before they bought the likes of Tonev to play on the wing, their current option is Charles N'Zogbia, and they aren't happy with potentially bringing in a current England International.

• Like 1

Good old VT writing off players before they have even kicked a ball

Most games are on TV (legal or illegal), it's not like it was 20 years ago when judging a player was hard. Some people (myself included - although not as much recently) have watched hundreds of games in a season. So we are quite entitled to judge based on what we have seen.

• Like 2

I think other team's fans would be perplexed if they read these boards. Right - so they've just finished 17th, last summer their marquee signing was Kieran Richardson, the summer before they bought the likes of Tonev to play on the wing, their current option is Charles N'Zogbia, and they aren't happy with potentially bringing in a current England International.

Players win caps like a whore takes cock. It's not a big thing to play for England anymore. We are not a giant.

Contrary to the popular perception now that England are shit, we're still a very good team in the grand scheme of things. If the world was a league of 20 teams England would be top 3 and probably 2nd. Of course it doesn't mean that a player is automatically good just because they've received caps for England but being a regular England international isn't something that should be sniffed at.

Edited by Mantis

as if townsend wouldnt be an improvement on the rubbish we have.yeah 12 mill is steep but young english international what do you expect this day an age

compared to what we have had to witness over the past 5 years id be chiffed if he joined