Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

If Benteke and Vlaar stay and Cleverly and Sinclair, I don't think we need much more aside from a left back and maybe a young goalkeeper to challenge Guzan?

You not think we need a striker?

Kozak is cover for Benteke, but is still pretty unproven. Weimann is clearly not good enough and Gabby is not prolific enough although still an important player. I think a new striker to play alongside Benteke is crucial. Danny Ings? Charlie Austin? Calum Wilson? Any of those will be ideal.

Given the Tottenham connection I could imagine we will be first in the queue for Andros Townsend who would be a GREAT signing for us....i also have a sneaky feeling Emmanuel Adebayor will come to us with Tottenham paying a chunk of his wages considering his relationship with Sherwood and Tottenham are so desperate to get rid of him.

Bamford would be decent, in and out for Weimann.

I think he wrongly got championship player of the year but yes he's the type of young forward I would like to see us go for, if Chelsea have no interest other than loaning him out year after year.

If Benteke and Vlaar stay and Cleverly and Sinclair, I don't think we need much more aside from a left back and maybe a young goalkeeper to challenge Guzan?

yeah I agree with this too, we have Gardner coming back and Kozak from injury so squad doesn't look too bad
I really don't understand these comments, we are starting to look really improved under Tim and we should avoid relegation but thinking we don't need much more is false in my opinion.

Another season where we've been too close to relegation and yes Lambert should take a big blame for that but we must remember it's still the same players and still now we are only 2 points above relegation.

I don't think we need an overhaul but we certainly need some new players to come in and players to go.

We need more quality if we want to be a top 10 team on a really basis in my opinion.

A lot depends on a) whether we stay up, which is likely and ( Bb) whether we win the FA Cup.

If both happens we probably need to sign players to cover the extra matches we will be involved in in the eufa league

Edited by PaulC

You not think we need a striker?

Kozak is cover for Benteke, but is still pretty unproven. Weimann is clearly not good enough and Gabby is not prolific enough although still an important player. I think a new striker to play alongside Benteke is crucial. Danny Ings? Charlie Austin? Calum Wilson? Any of those will be ideal.

Well, if (and its a big if) Benteke stays and then stays fit for a season then I don't think so. Depends on the formation Sherwood plays I guess. He's already stated that Gabby and Benteke are the best strike force outside the top six so that would indicate he rates him very highly and he'll be a starter. Would Ings, Austin, Wilson, et al, come as backup? 

Given the Tottenham connection I could imagine we will be first in the queue for Andros Townsend who would be a GREAT signing for us....i also have a sneaky feeling Emmanuel Adebayor will come to us with Tottenham paying a chunk of his wages considering his relationship with Sherwood and Tottenham are so desperate to get rid of him.

I can see us going for Adebayor as well if Benteke leaves.

yeah I agree with this too, we have Gardner coming back and Kozak from injury so squad doesn't look too bad
I really don't understand these comments, we are starting to look really improved under Tim and we should avoid relegation but thinking we don't need much more is false in my opinion.

Another season where we've been too close to relegation and yes Lambert should take a big blame for that but we must remember it's still the same players and still now we are only 2 points above relegation.

I don't think we need an overhaul but we certainly need some new players to come in and players to go.

We need more quality if we want to be a top 10 team on a really basis in my opinion.

I think we need to draw a line under what Lambert was getting out of these players and look to see what Sherwood is getting out of them. Our form at present is easily top 10 and I think the quality of our squad is as well. Lambert, for all his faults, and there were many, assembled a good squad. It just needed another manager to get the best out of them.

I would say no to Adebayor and Townsend, also watching Mason yesterday and pretty much all season you could just see how bad he is hope we are never in for him if they ever sell him. Westwood is better than Mason.

Edited by dudevillaisnice
  • Like 2

If benteke stays then I'd like to see a new starting keeper, lb and possibly a striker. Then fill the squad with a defender and midfield player and of course Sinclair and Cleverly.

With the new TV deal, our finances in order and Bent leaving I'd like to think we could have our best summer in years and not break FFP regulations.

If benteke stays then I'd like to see a new starting keeper, lb and possibly a striker. Then fill the squad with a defender and midfield player and of course Sinclair and Cleverly.

With the new TV deal, our finances in order and Bent leaving I'd like to think we could have our best summer in years and not break FFP regulations.

Cue the £5m transfer spend....

I think we need to draw a line under what Lambert was getting out of these players and look to see what Sherwood is getting out of them. Our form at present is easily top 10 and I think the quality of our squad is as well. Lambert, for all his faults, and there were many, assembled a good squad. It just needed another manager to get the best out of them.

fair point re lambert but I'm not convinced our squad is top 10. Our form at the moment is great and making us look like top 10 but this is over a short period. Over a full season we will have dips of form etc and I'm just saying some more options and replacement of some current players would make us a top 10 team over a course of a season and not just a short period like we are in now.
  • Like 1

If Bent leaves.........

Sherwood has alreday said he was annoyed with the club that they allowed Bent to go out on loan. Wether that means he wants him around next season or at least wanted him to be available for the end of this season isn't clear. I think Bent even muted that he may have talks with Villa in the summer IIRC

Like the look of Robertson so would be happy with that if true. Alex Pritchard at Bournemouth has been excellent this season on loan from Spurs, wonder if we're having a look at him as well? Looks a cracking little player

Adebayour and Townsend? Please god no. Much rather look abroad rather than wasting millions on inconsistent spuds. Drmic from Leverkusen and Andre Hahn from BMG if you don't mind Paddy + Tim

• Like 1

Who cares if we spend 5m or 50m, once the right players come in to improve us? benteke cost us about 6m, okore 4m, vlaar 3.5m. The bottom line matters little if the acquisitions are smart

Who cares if we spend 5m or 50m, once the right players come in to improve us? benteke cost us about 6m, okore 4m, vlaar 3.5m. The bottom line matters little if the acquisitions are smart

Nobody cares if we spend £5m or £50m but the reality is a small transfer budget makes it harder to bring in the quality of players we may need.

We've got something to build on here and i'd like Sherwood to be backed properly.

• Like 1

There's nothing to suggest he won't be yet though. Worry about it if it becomes an issue

I'm not worried. The original comment I made was mostly in jest if not slightly tinged with truth.  ;)

Edited by sexbelowsound