Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

My nan makes the most incredible faggots. She is yet to pass on the recipe to anyone. That is a food that we should export.

A lot of American's would be perplexed now… a grandmother that makes faggots

4392736131_cfbbda88ce.jpg

Poured over the top freshly out of the oven with loads of malt vinegar. Beautiful!

TBF, that looks like shit.
  • Like 1

My nan makes the most incredible faggots. She is yet to pass on the recipe to anyone. That is a food that we should export.

Poured over the top freshly out of the oven with loads of malt vinegar.  Beautiful!  

Would love to know how to make those!

The faggot is famously made from liver and heart, which gives them their strong flavour.

You can get them frozen.

5516830c.jpg

As a matter of interest, do the Americans eat much offal?

Faggots with spotted dick would a a source of consternation

I keep the secret recipe in my fanny pack.

Poured over the top freshly out of the oven with loads of malt vinegar. Beautiful!

TBF, that looks like shit.

You really do need to eat more fibre ;)

On my one and only trip to the states (new york) I ordered a 'tea' from the bar of our hotel. After a long day trekking around the wonderful sights of NY i thought this would be the perfect pick me up.

Where do I start

It was weak

It was served in a tall glass

It was served in a tall glass with a handle & a long spoon

There was no milk

The sugar didn't seem sweet, no matter how much i put in

It was shoite

Before you say it, I know, what did I expect!

The faggot is famously made from liver and heart, which gives them their strong flavour.

You can get them frozen.

5516830c.jpg

As a matter of interest, do the Americans eat much offal?

No, especially these days. We obviously have too much food here, so the offal is used industrially for all kinds of things but not in ordinary kitchens. Very different about 40-50 years ago, but that older generation is dying off now. My plumber was telling me recently about how his late father would eat every single part of the pig apart from the nose. (On a side note, around here, people used to eat bear, too. I've had it -- it's actually quite nice, very sweet.)

Edited by Plastic Man

I think I'm weird because I like Hershey's.

I love daily milk too but Hershey's is good in its own way.

Regular Hersheys is considerably better here than the Cadbury-branded chocolate here. We use a lot of Hersheys for our baseline chocolate. It's cheap, too. I bet that if you could taste the "Cadbury's" here, you would prefer Hersheys over it.

On my one and only trip to the states (new york) I ordered a 'tea' from the bar of our hotel. After a long day trekking around the wonderful sights of NY i thought this would be the perfect pick me up.

Where do I start

It was weak

There was no milk

It was shoite

In the States, it's hit or miss with English style tea. Coffee rules here, there just isn't a huge demand for old fashioned tea. We probably consume more herbal tea than black tea.

• Like 1

Regular Hersheys is considerably better here than the Cadbury-branded chocolate here. We use a lot of Hersheys for our baseline chocolate. It's cheap, too. I bet that if you could taste the "Cadbury's" here, you would prefer Hersheys over it.

I doubt it.  Hershey's tastes like they've made it with tramp's vomit, it's just about the nastiest thing I've ever tasted.

Where do I start

It was weak

There was no milk

It was shoite

In the States, it's hit or miss with English style tea. Coffee rules here, there just isn't a huge demand for old fashioned tea. We probably consume more herbal tea than black tea.

Spot-on. Only caveat is the deep south, where tall glasses of sweet iced tea are still de riguer at most restaurants, wouldn't you agree?  

I doubt it.  Hershey's tastes like they've made it with tramp's vomit, it's just about the nastiest thing I've ever tasted.

Advice for you. Don't go here: 

chocolate-world.jpg

Reeces pieces are awesome socks.

I also liked tootsies rolls, a bar of toffee?

There was a chocolate, maybe a babyruth, which was "ashy peanut butter".. not sure if i liked it, or hated it because of the amount stuck in my teeth.

• Like 1

Reeces pieces are awesome socks.

I also liked tootsies rolls, a bar of toffee?

There was a chocolate, maybe a babyruth, which was "ashy peanut butter".. not sure if i liked it, or hated it because of the amount stuck in my teeth.

Tootsie Rolls are very old -- going way back -- and not quite as popular as once were.

Babyruths are caramel and peanuts and chocolate nougat -- and yes, very very sticky somehow. I like 'em.

1280px-Baby-Ruth-Split.jpg

Babyruths sound like Snickers - which used to be called Marathon (much better name) until they got Americanised. At least Twix haven't been rebadged as Raider. Yet.

Babyruths sound like Snickers - which used to be called Marathon (much better name) until they got Americanised. At least Twix haven't been rebadged as Raider. Yet.

Snickers have been ruined here. They changed them a lot over the last few years. Twix, too, for that matter -- horrible now. A lot of the old American classics have been tinkered to a disgrace. I live in a place that has both large and small manufacturers still, many of them even US-owned. Here's an old American "candy" you won't see abroad but it's still locally made -- and adored. I love these things ...

Mallo-Cup-Wrapper-Small.jpg

When I was a kid, my dad wouldn't stop jabbering about these. Somehow the name always came up in any discussion of The Motherland. My brother and went a couple times when we were very little child to a sweets shop in Handsworth. I remember the shop man teasing us relentlessly as American kids utterly gobsmacked in his shop. He gave us all kinds of free stuff. He said if I could put a whole CurlyWurly (?) or something like that in my mouth in one go, he would give it to me for free, but then when I tried to do it, he just laughed his head off at me and gave it to me anyway.

TEACNDY1000027999_-00_Bassetts-Everton-M

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 2

Â