Ask the Brit a stupid question

Marka Ragnos

Is gristle actually ... the healthy part?

Bone gristle is high in collagen and elastin, and broths or dishes made from bone gristle may help reduce overall bone loss, according to a study published in a 2012 issue of “Osteoporosis International.” Scientists found that a diet containing hydrolyzed collagen helped improve overall bone mineral density over a period of 26 days. This animal study also found that taking hydrolyzed collagen one month before surgery prevented bone mineral density loss. While the study found that a diet containing collagen helped reduce bone loss in mice, further human and longterm study is needed.

Is gristle actually ... the healthy part?

Bone gristle is high in collagen and elastin, and broths or dishes made from bone gristle may help reduce overall bone loss, according to a study published in a 2012 issue of “Osteoporosis International.” Scientists found that a diet containing hydrolyzed collagen helped improve overall bone mineral density over a period of 26 days. This animal study also found that taking hydrolyzed collagen one month before surgery prevented bone mineral density loss. While the study found that a diet containing collagen helped reduce bone loss in mice, further human and longterm study is needed.

When you're chewing on life's gristle, give a little whistle......always look...

• Like 1

In my student days, I'd always stock up on Fray Bentos pies at the beginning of the term, before the money ran out! These days, and as a consequence of living in the North, I have access to a far superior range of pies, including imo, the best butcher's pies in North East of England, which would put them in with a good shout of the UK crown.

Edited by dAVe80
  • Like 1

In my student days, I'd always stock up on Fray Bentos pies at the beginning of the term, before the money ran out! These days, and as a consequence of living in the North, I have access to a far superior range of pies, including imo, the best butcher's pies in North East of England, which would put them in with a good shout of the UK crown.

Tempted to put a plane ticket to Newcastle on my credit card and go get one or twenty of those. So unfair that we don't have good meat pies here ... 

• Like 1

Tempted to put a plane ticket to Newcastle on my credit card and go get one or twenty of those. So unfair that we don't have good meat pies here ... 

Please note that it is Wigan which is considered the pie capital of England and Wiganers are referred to as 'pie-eaters'.

See Stuart Marconi's book: Pies and Prejudice (a fine work on all things northern).

• Like 3

Please note that it is Wigan which is considered the pie capital of England and Wiganers are referred to as 'pie-eaters'.

See Stuart Marconi's book: Pies and Prejudice (a fine work on all things northern).

Indeed.  As a long-time former resident of Wigan, I can confirm that Wigan is indeed the centre of the pie universe.  My waistline further attests to this fact.  The nickname "pie-eater" though, is believed to go back to the great strike of the 1920s.

• Like 2

I've been to Wigan and eaten their pies, and although excellent, I've yet to find a pie that can whack a Taylors steak and kidney. Their pork and black pudding effort is a thing of beauty too. Best pie I've had at a football ground was a meat and potato pie at Blackburn. That may have been more to do with all the ale I'd supped in the Fernhurst before hand though.

On a side note, Wigan was the fist place I ever saw an advertising hoarding for "Uncle Joe's Mint Balls". Oh how I laughed! I later discovered they are sweets, and can be purchased from my local Home Bargains.   

• Like 2

Sorry, nothing beats a shire balti pie at villa park.

My home made ones are better :)

Oh yeah, if we're going down the home made route, then our Nan's steak and mushroom is my favourite. Alas she's gone now, and didn't pass on the recipe. Selfish old witch!

• Like 2

Work with a guy who also works for the American air force, so he can buy American goods over here tax free at the base. Did us all a bbq today, man those American burgers are excellent. And the condiments were also so tasty. Probably made from all sorts, it didn't taste wholesome, but very good.

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 1

My nan makes the most incredible faggots. She is yet to pass on the recipe to anyone. That is a food that we should export.

A lot of American's would be perplexed now… a grandmother that makes faggots

My nan makes the most incredible faggots. She is yet to pass on the recipe to anyone. That is a food that we should export.

It's actually such a deeply offensive term here, I suspect some Americans would realize the word had a different meaning. It's wood sticks, too, isn't it?

4392736131_cfbbda88ce.jpg

Poured over the top freshly out of the oven with loads of malt vinegar.  Beautiful!  

• Like 1

4392736131_cfbbda88ce.jpg

Poured over the top freshly out of the oven with loads of malt vinegar.  Beautiful!  

Would love to know how to make those!

Faggots with spotted dick would be a source of consternation

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

Â