2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Phil Knight could be plausible I suppose. His links to Nike could provide us with great sponsorship deals in the future worth a pretty penny, I mean he may not be at Nike anymore but I am sure he has a few favours he could call in if he wanted to pump extra revenue into the club. Certainly a step up over Randy Lerner anyway as far as finances and network links are concerned. Hope it's true, but merely to get this whole saga over and done with..

I think we're due an update from the club, just to give the fans a better idea of what's going on. I know people might say something like how can you expect an update on every little thing, but rats to that. At least tell us if a buyer is in exclusivity or something. I think I'm right in saying that at about this time last year we had an update.

Is it such a disaster if the club doesn't get taken over? The structure of the club with Fox, Reilly and Sherwood seems to be working at the moment and with bids for Gueye and rumoured bids for Amavi and Chery it looks like we have money to spend. New owners could just unsettle things.

A poster on r/avfc is claiming that there are strong rumors that the new owner is Phil Knight and the announcement will be made tomorrow. Anyone can post in that thread so could be a troll but let me just say it would be incredible if he was the buyer. He's the co-founder of Nike and worth over $20 billion.

There won't be any such announcement tomorrow, not of that nature.

So what exactly do you know about this supposed takeover?

Is it such a disaster if the club doesn't get taken over? The structure of the club with Fox, Reilly and Sherwood seems to be working at the moment and with bids for Gueye and rumoured bids for Amavi and Chery it looks like we have money to spend. New owners could just unsettle things.

Yes it is. We have not seen anywhere near enough to suggest things are going to

change dramatically under Lerner.

I'm not going to get upset if it doesn't happen because I no longer care enough for football to upset me but I would be a lot happier if it did.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Seeing as we're speculating a lot.. Those saying that we have a good thing with Fox, Reilly and Sherwood. What if one of Lerner's requirements was that those three are kept on. Maybe it's taken this long because he's had to turn down buyers that were going to make wholesale sweeping changes that would have possibly had a negative impact on the club. It's all speculation but just because new owners come in doesn't mean the old guard are instantly removed..

Seeing as we're speculating a lot.. Those saying that we have a good thing with Fox, Reilly and Sherwood. What if one of Lerner's requirements was that those three are kept on. Maybe it's taken this long because he's had to turn down buyers that were going to make wholesale sweeping changes that would have possibly had a negative impact on the club. It's all speculation but just because new owners come in doesn't mean the old guard are instantly removed..

Based on how the clubs starting to turn round this might be the best way to steady the ship, at least in the short term.

Personally, I'm starting to think the deal is all but done, and any announcement is being held off until Tim can get his first targets in for as cheap as possible. As soon as the takeover is announced we'll be paying hefty fees all over the shop

Based on how the clubs starting to turn round this might be the best way to steady the ship, at least in the short term.

Personally, I'm starting to think the deal is all but done, and any announcement is being held off until Tim can get his first targets in for as cheap as possible. As soon as the takeover is announced we'll be paying hefty fees all over the shop

I agree with this.

A poster on r/avfc is claiming that there are strong rumors that the new owner is Phil Knight and the announcement will be made tomorrow. Anyone can post in that thread so could be a troll but let me just say it would be incredible if he was the buyer. He's the co-founder of Nike and worth over $20 billion.

There won't be any such announcement tomorrow, not of that nature.
So what exactly do you know about this supposed takeover?
Probably the same as the rest of us, he's merely applying some common sense.

Trent has a reputation for knowing a little bit more than 'the rest of us'.

He also has a reputation of not giving much away though.

That takeover 'rumour' is nothing but wishful thinking and 2+2=5 with him recently leaving Nike and forming this new group.

I've just noticed the 'not of that nature' part. I reckon that the announcement will be that a deal is being worked on but it could take a while yet, so in the meantime we've got Cortese on board to help out. I've seen David Dein's name bandied about too. As for the actual details of the takeover only a select few are going to know about that.

You can't sell your business and demand its run how you want after the fact.

New owners will do what they want. See Kraft's buyout of Cadbury.

You can't sell your business and demand its run how you want after the fact.

New owners will do what they want. See Kraft's buyout of Cadbury.

That is true - Lerner's takeover nearly never happened as good old Uncle Doug (hero to the few) told Lerner to buy the club and let him run it as Chairman. Thank God others involved salvaged the deal.

The new owners will bring in who they want albeit they may leave the status quo for a while to keep the ship steady.

Edited by nazvfc
  • Like 1

Trent has a reputation for knowing a little bit more than 'the rest of us'.

He also has a reputation of not giving much away though.

That takeover 'rumour' is nothing but wishful thinking and 2+2=5 with him recently leaving Nike and forming this new group.

https://www.google.it/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=aston%20villa%20exclusivity

The top 5 results there would seem to suggest it's not a "rumour"

EDIT: sorry misread your post, the "rumour" you mean is the Nike fella, which is founded on nothing :)

Edited by romavillan

Ha ha Richard Dawkins must have been in this thread based on this that he retweeted:

@rawatson1: @RichardDawkins Either my house will be hit by a flying iceberg, or it won't. 50/50 chance, then...

Edited by Wainy316
  • Like 1

Â