Living Wage

limpid

The highest paid players in the league earn a cleaner's annual salary in just two hours.

If our Premier League teams can afford to pay these kinds of huge salaries, why not pay all their staff the Living Wage? Add your name to the petition below:

http://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/24?decision_id=21207

• Like 3

This is unacceptable and Scudamore's attitude was a disgrace. The Fiver's paradoy of it was spot in:

The reality is,” he brayed, “just like in the film industry, in the pop industry, the talent, the absolute talent, gets paid a disproportionately high amount.” A valid viewpoint, even though nobody’s been asking for the tea lady to trouser the same salary as Ángel Di María, just that she gets an extra £1.35 an hour and can thus hopefully avoid a life of Just Scraping By.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/11/the-fiver-the-marie-antoinette-of-football-administration

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 1

This is unacceptable and Scudamore's attitude was a disgrace. The Fiver's paradoy of it was spot in:

The reality is,” he brayed, “just like in the film industry, in the pop industry, the talent, the absolute talent, gets paid a disproportionately high amount.” A valid viewpoint, even though nobody’s been asking for the tea lady to trouser the same salary as Ángel Di María, just that she gets an extra £1.35 an hour and can thus hopefully avoid a life of Just Scraping By.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/11/the-fiver-the-marie-antoinette-of-football-administration

Scudamore really is nothing more than a sorry sack of shit. 

Signed.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Signed.

I think other clubs do this but it doesn't cover agency staff.

from what i saw in the week i think its chelsea do everyone, man city do only directly employed staff

none of the other clubs do it

i understand the argument against it but when the money at the top is so sickening that argument just doesnt stand up to scrutiny 

Edited by villa4europe

A living wage? Who at Aston Villa gets less than this made up figure? Or is it a cause because it sounds right but without knowing exact details? I'd guess most permanent staff are on more than it and only those part time ie Matchday staff are on minimum wage. Your job is worth what it's worth if you don't like it get another one or better yourself in the one you've got. The minimum wage was brought in to achieve a certain level of living standard without bankrupting companies. The living wage is made up by left wingers just to have a moan about capitalism. Forgetting about the new TV Deal would you want your ST increased to pay this living wage?

• Like 1

A living wage? Who at Aston Villa gets less than this made up figure? Or is it a cause because it sounds right but without knowing exact details? I'd guess most permanent staff are on more than it and only those part time ie Matchday staff are on minimum wage. Your job is worth what it's worth if you don't like it get another one or better yourself in the one you've got. The minimum wage was brought in to achieve a certain level of living standard without bankrupting companies. The living wage is made up by left wingers just to have a moan about capitalism. Forgetting about the new TV Deal would you want your ST increased to pay this living wage?

not this

...The living wage is made up by left wingers just to have a moan about capitalism. Forgetting about the new TV Deal would you want your ST increased to pay this living wage?

Strange comment, dn. When the clubs have gazillions of income, they can certainly afford £7.85 an hour for all the staff and employees. Look at the prices they charge for bottles of pop, beer, pies, crisps and so on. And people who serve us that stuff ought to be able to earn £15.70 for two hours they spend serving us - it's not a fortune, it's not some left wing made up rubbish - it's basic human decency - it's a figure worked out as that needed to let workers lead a decent life.

...The living wage is made up by left wingers just to have a moan about capitalism. Forgetting about the new TV Deal would you want your ST increased to pay this living wage?

Strange comment, dn. When the clubs have gazillions of income, they can certainly afford £7.85 an hour for all the staff and employees. Look at the prices they charge for bottles of pop, beer, pies, crisps and so on. And people who serve us that stuff ought to be able to earn £15.70 for two hours they spend serving us - it's not a fortune, it's not some left wing made up rubbish - it's basic human decency - it's a figure worked out as that needed to let workers lead a decent life.

that is the clubs argument against it though

yes villa earn a lot of money, do they earn more than mcdonalds? no, so why should the bloke serving chips at VP be on more than the bloke serving chips there, do they earn more than the arcadia group? no, so why should the cleaners at VP be on more than the cleaners who work for them?

its the disparity between the match day staff and the players that skews the argument, but the argument why should villa do it when bigger more profitable companies in the UK dont is actually a pretty sound one IMO

• Like 2

Just quoting this in case you decide to delete it after the revolution.

• Like 2

I don't want to go into a big political debate as its a football forum but the living wage is a political football. Chelsea are mentioned as paying this but they're in London and any so called living wage would be higher there than elsewhere in the country. I think villa4europe summed it up perfectly.

Without doing anything different, or extra, Prem clubs' income is going to increase by an absolute ton next season. Heaven forfend that the people who work for the club who aren't players should benefit in any way from that. Chelsea manage it and at the higher London rate (good for them).

I'd be quite pround if Villa (or any club) decided that they'd pay the cleaners and pie servers a wage which is recognised as enough to lead a decent life , and that Villa isn't like MacDonalds and the others, with their MacJobs - that the club pays the local people a decent wage. Not excessive, not wasteful but just a little bit better than the legal minimum. I think I'd like to be served by people who feel a bit better about the club, and are a bit happier, because we look after people and recognise how hard it is to live on basic wages. We might get better service from them, too.

Â