The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I am not looking forward to next season.

Will be a season of baffling decisions and more player blaming I reckon.

The bounce has worn off already, and I think sooner rather than later the players will turn on him.

I don't like his ego, his arrogance and his billy big bollox not my fault attitude.

That's not strictly true - he will accept blame. For example. he admitted that he got his tactics wrong for the game against Man Utd. 

He is searingly honest, which will obviously not be to everyone's liking. For me though, I am still finding it refreshing.

I'm still not sure about Sherwood, I mean I want to believe but some of his decisions baffle me.

Given over Guzan?

Not playing Gil but using CNZ?

Playing Okore and Vlaar together again after the Southampton debacle? Both are right side center backs, against Southampton he didn't have much choice but Baker was fit for the final which might have made a better balance in defence.

Dropping Bacuna for Hutton?

Hutton playing LB when Cisskho is apparently fit?

Yeah I'm sure you could make valid points/reasons for each of these but no matter what anyone say's I can't shake the feeling that Sherwood is winging it and we are in the sh...mire.

spot on for me

aye me to.

He kept us up.

But I have serious misgivings about him for next season.

Who would you ideally want in then? Realistically of course

Do either of us need to suggest anybody else? Have either of us said Sherwood out? Or have we said we have some doubts at the minute? 

There is a massive difference between just having doubts and having "serious misgivings"

However, just for you, I will re-phrase it:

Who would you ideally want in, who wouldn't give you "serious misgivings". Realistically of course.

To me, not just saturday, he can't organise a defence, he is already bombing out perfectly good players, Gil, Given, Cissokho. We all asked for someone marginally better than Lambert, and thats precisley what we have, someone marginally better. That marginally better, might prove not be good enough come November\December, then we have another mid season change to make.

Replacing TS now would be incredibly harsh, but we are in harsh business here.

Marginally better? So far he's miles better. Compared to Lambert he is like Mourinho.

Cissokho and Given shouldn't be anywhere near our team next season. They are not good players at all.

To me, not just saturday, he can't organise a defence, he is already bombing out perfectly good players, Gil, Given, Cissokho. We all asked for someone marginally better than Lambert, and thats precisley what we have, someone marginally better. That marginally better, might prove not be good enough come November\December, then we have another mid season change to make.

Marginally better? So far he's miles better. Compared to Lambert he is like Mourinho.

Cissokho and Given shouldn't be anywhere near our team next season. They are not good players at all.

Given was a typo for Guzan afaik and Cissohko, however lowly you rate him, is probably our best LB.

I think the wounds are still very raw and the conversation on here is even less rational than normal.

I get it, I feel the same, but I think in terms of drawing any long term conclusions we should all take a deep breath and go on holiday or something.

Edited by villaglint
  • Like 3

I wonder if there would be so much negativity if we'd lost to Leicester before Sherwood officially started? We've got doom and gloom about the future under Sherwood based on a few games, why are they the ones that are going to show our future and not the ones where we played our best football in years and absolutely dominated some good teams?

Given was a typo for Guzan afaik and Cissohko, however lowly you rate him, is probably our best LB.

There is no proof he is bombing Guzan out for a start. Cissokho might be our best LB but that isn't saying much, he's no good on the ball, same as Hutton. 

And I'm willing to bet that he didn't tell the players to find a new club during that 30 minutes locked in the dressing room. He probably told some players a while back that they could look for new clubs but it won't have been anyone that is involved in the run in, he isn't that stupid.

I think Richardson has been decent since the QPR game and was probably the only player on Saturday who shouldn't be ashamed of himself.

I am not looking forward to next season.

Will be a season of baffling decisions and more player blaming I reckon.

The bounce has worn off already, and I think sooner rather than later the players will turn on him.

I don't like his ego, his arrogance and his billy big bollox not my fault attitude.

And the sensationalism begins....

• Like 1

I think Richardson has been decent since the QPR game and was probably the only player on Saturday who shouldn't be ashamed of himself.

I agree fwiw

I still think Cissohko is our best LB but none of them are good enough in reality.

I didn't think Arsenal were great Saturday, dont get me wrong they were good but we were woeful. I was sat watching the warm up, must have been 40+ shots on Guzan, I can remember 1 goal, 2 saves, and everything else was over the bar or wide, think Jack hit the post with one actually.

I was watching this thinking how can pro footballers no hit the target under no pressure

AVFC

Edited by dakid007

I don't see why people have to vehemently stick to one side of a debate.

Sherwood has done remarkably well to keep the team in the league and to also reach a cup final.

For me, whilst his self confidence is undoubtedly one of the reasons for this, and also one of his strength's, it's so close to the border of arrogance that it may also be/become a weakness long term.

There are arguments for both, like the apparent locking players in the dressing room after the final, and the lazy players claim:

Was it needed? = yes I think so

Was it needed straight after the final whistle? Or does that show a Di Canio esq reactionary personality that I don't believe works at this level? = yes I think I see that that view as well.

Ultimately time will tell, but I think its fair to celebrate his achievement to date whilst being sceptical of what lies ahead.

Edited by av1

I find it utterly bizarre thats some fans that were prepared to give Lambert all the time in the world are slating Sherwood in his short tenure. Yes, Sherwood has made some mistakes with team selections, tactics and things so far. But this is Lamberts team, not Sherwoods. Give him a transfer window and build his own team. If we are near the bottom again at Christmas, yes, i will be not too happy. My faith and excitement in Villa has returned. The Liverpool semi-final shows us all how well Sherwood can motivate a team. Why judge him on the Southampton game onwards??  I love his honest and direct attitude, telling it like it is, instead of 'We were excellent' every week.

• Like 1

Sherwood does not currently play with wingers. He plays with full backs who can bomb forward and get crosses in. This is where the width comes from and why Richardson starts ahead of Cissohko. It is also why Hutton played at left back recently.

I think the wounds are still very raw and the conversation on here is even less rational than normal.

I get it, I feel the same, but I think in terms of drawing any long term conclusions we should all take a deep breath and go on holiday or something.

We are all hurting now, but in a few weeks (and a couple of signings have been made) we will be revitalised for the new season. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 3

Bottom line is sherwood kept us up he did what lambert would never have done. I will be pleased to see what he does pre season.

In the interests of balance ,  the last few years under Lambert when in actual fact he did keep us up suggests that the phrase "would never have done" is not entirely accurate.

By the way this is not me advocating for Paul to be rehired,  I think the timing of his departure was about right in fairness and disappointingly 

Lambert would never have kept us up this season so the original statement is true for me. 

I find it utterly bizarre thats some fans that were prepared to give Lambert all the time in the world are slating Sherwood in his short tenure. Yes, Sherwood has made some mistakes with team selections, tactics and things so far. But this is Lamberts team, not Sherwoods. Give him a transfer window and build his own team. If we are near the bottom again at Christmas, yes, i will be not too happy. My faith and excitement in Villa has returned. The Liverpool semi-final shows us all how well Sherwood can motivate a team. Why judge him on the Southampton game onwards??  I love his honest and direct attitude, telling it like it is, instead of 'We were excellent' every week.

Couldn't agree more. Top post

Â