The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Well if we sell Benteke I'd presume we'd spent a bit more. But personally I'd rather we didn't sell him for obvious reasons and because I'm not sure I'd trust Sherwood to spend the money wisely.

Why? He's never even had a chance.

I also don't think he will be fully in charge of transfers and targets.

so are you trying to say we should sack Sherwood before the window because you dont trust him. Maybe we should bring back Lambert for you :)

No, I think he's saying he's not sure Sherwood would spend any potential money from a Benteke sale wisely because he's got no experience in the transfer market.

Fairly tiresome people bringing up Lambert all the time.  He was sacked over 3 months ago ;)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

We don't need to spend £40m to push on. We do however need to spend a lot more than we did last summer.

With Vardy and Austin being rated at 15m, it'll take a lot for us to do anything with (say) £20m. Especially if a player like Vardy is rated at 15m. We need to be spending 40m minimum. 

That's only because Vardy is English and current flavour of the month. £25-30m would be plenty to push on provided it's invested wisely and not hindered with ridiculous wage restrictions.

We don't need to spend £40m to push on. We do however need to spend a lot more than we did last summer.

With Vardy and Austin being rated at 15m, it'll take a lot for us to do anything with (say) £20m. Especially if a player like Vardy is rated at 15m. We need to be spending 40m minimum. 

That's only because Vardy is English and current flavour of the month. £25-30m would be plenty to push on provided it's invested wisely and not hindered with ridiculous wage restrictions.

My opinion of course but I think we need...

Right back, left back, attacking midfielder, holding midfielder, a winger and a striker (perhaps sell Weimann and Kozak to raise funds).

I think 8m(ish) each and that is what we need to spend.

Not all of those players would not to be proven quality first teamers. If we keep Benteke for example we certainly won't need to be spending £8m on another striker likewise if we sign Cleverley on a free then we won't be needing to spend £8m each on two midfielders. I'm not even sure we'd necessarily need to spend £8m each on both full-backs either - it depends on what's out there but you can get some good deals provided you look hard enough.

Not all of those players would not to be proven quality first teamers. If we keep Benteke for example we certainly won't need to be spending £8m on another striker likewise if we sign Cleverley on a free then we won't be needing to spend £8m each on two midfielders. I'm not even sure we'd necessarily need to spend £8m each on both full-backs either - it depends on what's out there but you can get some good deals provided you look hard enough.

If we keep Benteke, the back-up is Kozak, who we are not sure will be the same, Agbonlahor, who is not the sort of player we want leading from the top, Weimann, the less said the better and then Robinson. We don't have nearly enough quality - and if Benteke gets injured we will struggle.

Sanchez has a lot to prove, I am not sure he will be at the club next season - I think Sherwood will want somebody who is a little more solid. Westwood is a good little player, really good, but there are times when he fades away. Cleverley is a good shout but if he doesn't sign we will need at least 8m to replace that hole in the team.

Two years ago we spent £20m, now the money in football has doubled and thus we need to look at the fact prices will double.

I didn't say we wouldn't need another striker, just that we wouldn't necessarily need to blow £8m on a squad player.

The problem with a couple of seasons ago was that we bought a lot young prospects (most of which didn't really work out) and had pretty strict wage restrictions - that's why I said £25m-30m would be enough but only if we don't have those wage restrictions.

I don't think either Fox or Sherwood would be here if they'd been told the spending will stay the same as last few years. Throw in the fact that there was a chunk of money to sign Lambert that wasn't used and Krulak had a rant about how PL didn't use all of the money he was given. Sherwood and Delph have both alluded to how different things are going to be once we get this season over with.

I reckon we'll have a surprisingly sizeable chunk to spend this summer.

We're getting a Liverpool employee responsible for transfers? Isn't that a bit like hiring a goalkeeping coach from Arsenal or a QPR employee responsible for contract negotiations?

• Like 1

We're getting a Liverpool employee responsible for transfers? Isn't that a bit like hiring a goalkeeping coach from Arsenal or a QPR employee responsible for contract negotiations?

Word is he's the chap who convinced Lambert that we should sign Benteke.

I'm confident that even without a takeover we will still spend better, in both wages and fees, than we did during lamberts time at the club

I would be absolutely thrilled if that was the case, as for all his faults, Lambert spent money pretty well all things considered.

Completely agree with this. Lambert did brilliantly with his signings, he just couldn't get things to work on the pitch.

• Like 1

Word is he's the chap who convinced Lambert that we should sign Benteke.

He's also the chap who convinced Rodgers to sign a bunch of nobodies from Spain.

I didn't say we wouldn't need another striker, just that we wouldn't necessarily need to blow £8m on a squad player.

The problem with a couple of seasons ago was that we bought a lot young prospects (most of which didn't really work out) and had pretty strict wage restrictions - that's why I said £25m-30m would be enough but only if we don't have those wage restrictions.

I don't think we will have a choice. I think there are going to be a lot of stupid prices for average players. For us to get a decent player we will have to pay even more. I hope I am wrong, I just cannot see it. If we are looking at 15m as the starting point for an average player, 30m will get us two of those average players - and we already have enough of those. We need at least four higher quality players who can come straight in and make a difference. If we don't have Benteke we need five.

My opinion, of course.

It's really hard to predict where Sherwood will shop too, as he hasn't bought a player before. Will be a weird summer.

Edited by DK82

He was with us prior to that when we signed Benteke and Vlaar.

I'm confident that even without a takeover we will still spend better, in both wages and fees, than we did during lamberts time at the club

I would be absolutely thrilled if that was the case, as for all his faults, Lambert spent money pretty well all things considered.

Lamberts biggest mistake was spreading his budget too thin with a clutch of sub £2m players that weren't good enough or rarely used. Hopefully even if Sherwood gets the same budget he'll buy less but better quality and use the kids to supplement instead of cheap buys.

Agree but I meant in terms of money spent rather than quality. I think Sherwood will be given more to spend due to our better financial situation.

• Like 1

Â