The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

How do people think there are 3 worse teams than us?

We have been absolutely terrible but are above one team, on the same points as two others and within a handful of points of another four teams.

The reason I think we are better than at least three sides in this division is that on paper we have been punching below our weight and a number of others have been either punching above theirs or doing about as well as you would expect.

One of the first things Sherwood said when he came in was that you look at our squad and it is a mystery to most in football why we have struggled so badly. The reason we did for me is that the previous manager could pick a player and assemble a squad but was absolutely clueless in terms of getting them organised in a way that got the best out of them individually and collectively as a team.

We now have a manager that may be able to get the best out of them and that alone gives me hope that we can survive.

Going by the form guide we are the worst team in the league, the teams at the bottom are all battling since the start of the season where as we have been in free fall for what seems like forever. The way things are going reminds me of how we finished last season but this time we don't have the comfort of 30 odd points to rely on.

Going by the form guide we are the worst team in the league, the teams at the bottom are all battling since the start of the season where as we have been in free fall for what seems like forever. The way things are going reminds me of how we finished last season but this time we don't have the comfort of 30 odd points to rely on.

I agree the teams at the bottom have most likely been battling all season but they haven't made a very good fist of it given that we would all acknowledge we have been dire yet find ourselves still well in the mix to survive.

As I said earlier there are a few teams who have punched above their weight yet we have punched well below ours. Your right we are the worse team on current form but as much as the teams around us are, as you have stated battling, Leicester have won one of their last 6 and taken 3 points, QPR won one of their last 6 taken 4 points and Burnley and Sunderland have each won one of their last 6 and taken 5 points.

Put it this way at this stage would I rather be the team that has given their maximum and find themselves in deep shit or be the side that has under performed and find themselves in trouble? I'll take the latter especially now we can perhaps gain some positive momentum under the leadership of a new manger and coaching staff.

Edited by markavfc40

I agree the teams at the bottom have most likely been battling all season but they haven't made a very good fist of it given that we would all acknowledge we have been dire yet find ourselves still well in the mix to survive.

As I said earlier there are a few teams who have punched above their weight yet we have punched well below ours. Your right we are the worse team on current form but as much as the teams around us are, as you have stated battling, Leicester have won one of their last 6 and taken 3 points, QPR won one of their last 6 taken 4 points and Burnley and Sunderland have each won one of their last 6 taken 5 points.

Put it this way at this stage would I rather be the team that has given their maximum and find themselves in deep shit or be the side that has under performed and find themselves in trouble? I'll take the latter especially now given we can perhaps gain some momentum under the leadership of a new manger and coaching staff.

I admire your optimism but feel it's based on hope more than anything else. If Benteke hits form then I feel that will be what keeps us up, Burnley and Qpr each have in form strikers that are capable of getting them the goals needed to pick up the points where as we are stuck hoping that our main striker hits form but the reality is he looks hopeless.

I also fail to see how sherwood would give any confidence for turning it around, he looked out of his depth vs Stoke. His tactics and line up were a big factor in how crap we were and the fact we only created 2 shots after going 1 up is really bad considering we have the players for counter attacking football and should of caused stoke alot more trouble. We didn't create a chance til the 88th minute after the goal, way below the type of performance we need to be putting in to get points out of games.

Edited by Bunnski
  • Like 1

As I said earlier there are a few teams who have punched above their weight yet we have punched well below ours. Your right we are the worse team on current form but as much as the teams around us are, as you have stated battling, Leicester have won one of their last 6 and taken 3 points, QPR won one of their last 6 taken 4 points and Burnley and Sunderland have each won one of their last 6 taken 5 points.

Put it this way at this stage would I rather be the team that has given their maximum and find themselves in deep shit or be the side that has under performed and find themselves in trouble? I'll take the latter especially now given we can perhaps gain some momentum under the leadership of a new manger and coaching staff.

I admire your optimism but feel it's based on hope more than anything else. If Benteke hits form then I feel that will be what keeps us up, Burnley and Qpr each have in form strikers that are capable of getting them the goals needed to pick up the points where as we are stuck hoping that our main striker hits form but the reality is he looks hopeless.

I also fail to see how sherwood would give any confidence for turning it around, he looked out of his depth vs Stoke. His tactics and line up were a big factor in how crap we were and the fact we only created 2 shots after going 1 up is really bad considering we have the players for counter attacking football and should of caused stoke alot more trouble. We didn't create a chance til the 88th minute after the goal, way below the type of performance we need to be putting in to get points out of games.

Sherwood has been here a week! He has his backroom team in place since Friday.

If we won I suppose you'd be saying he was the second coming?

It's way too soon to judge him.

• Like 3

[A]t this stage would I rather be the team that has given their maximum and find themselves in deep shit or be the side that has under performed and find themselves in trouble? I'll take the latter especially now we can perhaps gain some positive momentum under the leadership of a new manger and coaching staff.

If things eventually worked themselves out 'logically' then I'd probably agree, but this view operates on the basis that 'quality' will always assert itself sooner or later, and that doesn't necessarily always happen.  If Villa are to avoid relegation, they're going to have to up their effort and commitment; you fight your way free of trouble (has a team ever finessed their way free?).

Agree with both of you, I'm not sure I explained myself particularly well. I think that whilst I am sure they are giving it 100% I think that they are too physically and mentally broken for that to have enough of an effect. Basically, I am worried that their valiant effort is going to go unrewarded because they simply no longer have the legs or the mental capacity for it. They are playing afraid right now, understandably.

That said, all it will take is one win and maybe the bounce will return to their step. Saturday can't come soon enough. 

Think youre over egging it - 1 win you say ?  - Had we not beaten Leicester the week before ? - It was an injury hit stoke side and we got off to the perfect start. - The feelgood factor should have been there. In Delph and Sanchez he had the wrong pairing in the middle - both gave the ball away to much.

I think Sherwood needs to drill the players to have better technique - we need a pattern of play - just 'get the ball forward' was taken too literally by our players - Im sure thats what he will be working on this week

In the cup. Against a side perhaps, astonishingly, worse than we are. "The feelgood factor" was there, yet it did not last. All it took was one kick in the nuts and we fell apart. 

• Like 1

I'll fully form my opinion of him at the end of the season but that doesn't mean that I won't judge each game as I see it. He looked out of his depth vs Stoke, that may change over the next few weeks but the signs aren't good.   My point is that people saying we will turn it around and having faith in the manager are basing it purely on blind hope as we have shown nothing to suggest we are better than 3 other teams. 

I think our time has come. This could have been the season where we finally stopped being dross at the bottom of the table but sadly not. Two consecutive periods where we lose six games on the trot, worst goal difference, switching the style of play mid season, sacking the manager far too late and starting players who are out of form or just completely lacking in quality will be the metaphorical nails in our coffin.

In some ways I think the relegation may be the best thing for this club. The chances of a takeover seem awfully minute while Lerner demands £200,000,000 and perhaps a move down a division will wake him up and severely cut the price, and then a forward thinking owner who understands the complications of FFP will be more likely to come in for a cand follow the direction taken by other clubs.

Proud history, bleak future.

Newcastle really is a massive game for us. If we can't pick up at least a point against a team who have been on the beach since Christmas then I fear we are royally screwed. For what its worth I think we will get that point.

Hull was a massive game for us. Stoke was a massive game for us. 0 points. What's going to change? The team obviously isn't good enough and is unable to pick up the points required.

Newcastle really is a massive game for us. If we can't pick up at least a point against a team who have been on the beach since Christmas then I fear we are royally screwed. For what its worth I think we will get that point.

Hull was a massive game for us. Stoke was a massive game for us. 0 points. What's going to change? The team obviously isn't good enough and is unable to pick up the points required.

Well lets see what working a full week with his new staff on getting these players in to some sort of shape will bring. 3 points against Newcastle and the job of staying up is 25% done IMO. which woudl give him a bit of breathing room to get our house in order to acheive the other 75%. Lose and the being completely screwed feeling grows and grows....

I think our time has come. This could have been the season where we finally stopped being dross at the bottom of the table but sadly not. Two consecutive periods where we lose six games on the trot, worst goal difference, switching the style of play mid season, sacking the manager far too late and starting players who are out of form or just completely lacking in quality will be the metaphorical nails in our coffin.

In some ways I think the relegation may be the best thing for this club. The chances of a takeover seem awfully minute while Lerner demands £200,000,000 and perhaps a move down a division will wake him up and severely cut the price, and then a forward thinking owner who understands the complications of FFP will be more likely to come in for a cand follow the direction taken by other clubs.

Proud history, bleak future.

I sorry to say I think relegation would be a total disaster for the club. Any half decent player left would be sold, our 'brand value' would drop by about 90% overnight and we would be lucky to get 25,000 in at Villa Park for most games. Every club would treat coming to us as a big game and given our recent history I doubt this squad would be able to cope with the pressure of this. Lerner would demand more cuts and Sherwood would have huge pressure to start well or get the sack. And if we didn't go up in the first season we would be miles behind the rest of the premier league for years to come. We would be like Leeds without the comedy value. 

• Like 1

If the teams around us lose then I don't think a loss to Newcastle would be the end of the world, as long as we show something that indicates if we play like that for the rest of the season then we can stay up.

My biggest concern is that whilst I get it was "only 1 day" there was no marked sign of improvement on the pitch anywhere.  From players to tactics, from shots on goal to substitutions made...nothing.

I really thought that Saturday, everything was ripe for "the bounce".  There was a massive air of optimism on our coach on the way there, a local supporters coach that was marginally fuller than it had been for a long time and whilst plenty of empty seats a more vocal fan base at the ground on my arrival.  Stoke were pretty turd, and from what I recall not even at full strength...I thought this is it, with a rocket up their arses the boys might perform here.  Sadly, none of that was to be...and the supposed magic of the "half time talk" from the previous game was notably absent for this game.  The only improvement was we scored the first premier league goal that I've been able to witness this year.

That's the negative side to me out, but ya know...there are positives.  I think we have a better run in than the rivals around us, we only need to string a few wins together to get our of the mire...and maybe, this was part of Tim's master plan to play out the supposed "best players" and take a consensus on who wants to fight.  He has a large uphill battle now of withdrawing those who don't have the fight in them and finding suitable replacements from our squad, but if he gets a team of battlers...given our better run in, we could do it still.

Well, I live in hope...

If the teams around us lose then I don't think a loss to Newcastle would be the end of the world, as long as we show something that indicates if we play like that for the rest of the season then we can stay up.

if all the teams around us lose and we come back from the toon empty handed we'll have missed a massive opportunity to improve our lot, how many more like that would we get?

• Like 2

If all the teams around us continue to lose, we have to win at some point to capitalize on that.  If we can't do something at Newcastle, jesus wept...and for the poster above who said he thinks relegation would be a disaster, I think it's nailed on that relegation for us would be full on kamikaze...we're not coming back.

I don't even want to contemplate actually going down.

• Like 1

Indeed. Every new game seems to be the next 'must win' game, when we lose to Newcastle it'll be the game after that, but in reality the Hull and Stoke games are where we've really blown it, two crucial games, mainly because of Hull able to pull away and Stoke at home, with the injuries they have and poor form they were in, we simply had to pick up points. I think those games we'll look back at when relegated as key games. 

• Like 1

If all the teams around us continue to lose, we have to win at some point to capitalize on that.  If we can't do something at Newcastle, jesus wept...and for the poster above who said he thinks relegation would be a disaster, I think it's nailed on that relegation for us would be full on kamikaze...we're not coming back.

I don't even want to contemplate actually going down.

Newcastle will be a tough game, they're still not mathematically safe themselves and their fans will be really up for this particular match after 'who's your new messiah' stuff. A draw would be a good result but I think we have to play well too.

I'll fully form my opinion of him at the end of the season but that doesn't mean that I won't judge each game as I see it. He looked out of his depth vs Stoke, that may change over the next few weeks but the signs aren't good.   My point is that people saying we will turn it around and having faith in the manager are basing it purely on blind hope as we have shown nothing to suggest we are better than 3 other teams. 

How on Earth did he look "out of his depth"?

Â