The 2015 General Election

tonyh29

General Election 2015  

178 members have voted

1. 1. How will you vote at the general election on May 7th?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib Dem
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Regionally based party (SNP, Plaid, DUP, SF etc)
    • Local Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • Spoil Paper
    • Won't bother going to the polls

This poll is closed to new votes

...It has neglected the Lie Dems, who do seem willing, as has been proven 5 years ago, to get into bed with pretty much anyone in order to get a taste of power. So you could see a situation where the 'progressive alliance' of the left have more seats than Tory & Kipper, but the Lie Dems get into bed to prop the Tories up. In that scenario, every single Lib Dem MP should be immediately shot, and every Lib Dem supporter should feel ashamed of themselves.

For the sake of discussion, isn't there a case to say that if you stand as an MP for whatever party, a part of your aims and reason for doing so would be to have it so you can put into place your policies? Otherwise why bother?

Now the next part is if the election brings about no overall winner, and the opportunity arises to actually be part of the Gov't, I guess you need to decide if they are so intolerable that you can't contemplate going them, or if you listen to what they say and think "OK, well they're not the same as us, in outlook, but we could at least work with them, get some of our policies implemented and try and persuade them not to be such hits with th some of their other stuff.

And if the alternative to doing that is to either basically have another election soon, or join with a different party, then isn't there an argument to say that in times of trouble, you actually pretty much have to join the biggest party in making a coalition for several reasons - do some of your policies, help stabilise things, take the edge of the other ones...and yes get yourself some minister jobs...

I kind of understand why they did what they did, and I kind of like that they showed with the tories that coalitions can work, without causing  utter collapse and chaos, which is what had been said would happen beforehand.

They'll get a shoeing for it, and some of that is richly deserved. I don't think the tories will get the same shoeing, despite them also breaking promises, "doing anything to get a taste of power" and all the rest of it.

In other words, I acknowledge why they will get a beasting, but think that they are being judged on different criteria to everyone else. As far as the various parties go, they're pretty sane in my eyes. Yes they play the game two ways, but mostly as individuals they come across well - better than most of the others, to me at least. They don't scare me basically, like some of Labour and Tories and SNPs and UKIPs (OK all of tories and UKIPs) do.

• Like 1

From speaking to a few mates about voting, the swing is as follows

Conservative +2

Green +1

Labour -3

According to the Huff Post we will have to wait until 6am to see if Farage has failed in Thanet. 

God I hope he does. I would love it.....love it if he loses. /Keegan

According to the Huff Post we will have to wait until 6am to see if Farage has failed in Thanet. 

I'm hoping Al Murray takes the seat

Interesting that a video of Farage calling gay people" fags" has suddenly emerged today in the Heil  ... the event only happened in July 2001  .... next up a video of Ed Miliband from 1977 drinking his school milk through a straw and looking funny

• Like 2

I don't think Al will get in but he'll get his deposit back easily enough. 

Haven't seen the video but surprised the Tory press have sat on that one for as long as they have.

I get the impression a lot of undecideds will vote Lib Dem.

Isn't that how they usually get their votes? The 'cop-out' party, for unsure voters.

The problem the Lie Dems have this time is that the Lib Dems are now tainted and have betrayed much of their core vote, and so it's not such a 'safe' option. People will worry that a vote for Lie Dems = prop up the Tories.

They weren't expecting that last time. Once bitten ...

• Like 3

Interesting that a video of Farage calling gay people" fags" has suddenly emerged today in the Heil ... the event only happened in July 2001 .... next up a video of Ed Miliband from 1977 drinking his school milk through a straw and looking funny

What's your point Tony? That since then he has clearly had an epiphany and become a much more liberal, open minded human being?

It shows the measure of the man when this barely makes a dent in my impression of him.

• Like 1

I get the impression a lot of undecideds will vote Lib Dem.

I'm leaning that way, mainly because as I understand it, only Labour or Lib Dem can realistically win my constituency.

And as I don't want to vote Labour, that would be the best way of helping them not get the seat.

I don't really like tactical voting, I'd rather vote for the party I like the most. But given I think they're all scum, it seems the best way to do it.

• Like 1

Interesting that a video of Farage calling gay people" fags" has suddenly emerged today in the Heil ... the event only happened in July 2001 .... next up a video of Ed Miliband from 1977 drinking his school milk through a straw and looking funny

What's your point Tony? That since then he has clearly had an epiphany and become a much more liberal, open minded human being?

It shows the measure of the man when this barely makes a dent in my impression of him.

That's also why it won't have much impression on people that will vote Kipper anyway. They probably secretly (some not so secretly) agree with him. There have been so many 'gaffes' that seem not to have dented their support too much, that the only conclusion one can come to is that their supporters agree with the views being espoused.