• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

I have. I still don't get it. When we were pushing for the top 4 he spent a lot of money on absolute shit. He backed O'Neill, backed Houllier, backed McLeish to an extent. He only really pulled the plug on spending that kind of money when Lambert came in (cue Lambert's only remaining defence). 

You've got that one wrong by quite a long way.

Mcleish's transfer activity while he was at the club gained the club (net) approximately £23m while Lambert has spent (net) close to £50m in his time at the club.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

I have. I still don't get it. When we were pushing for the top 4 he spent a lot of money on absolute shit. He backed O'Neill, backed Houllier, backed McLeish to an extent. He only really pulled the plug on spending that kind of money when Lambert came in (cue Lambert's only remaining defence).

Mcleish's transfer activity while he was at the club gained the club (net) approximately £23m while Lambert has spent (net) close to £50m in his time at the club.

Comparing 1 season to 3 suggests that Lerner did back McLeish - (£23m-ish/1 =£23m-ish) vs (£50m-ish/3 = 16m-ish) per season

(Feel free anyone to correct my maths)

Unless I've missed the point in which case apologies in advance

Also please don't mistake this for backing either of them. Enough is enough and they have to go

Edited by AstonMartyn88

Comparing 1 season to 3 suggests that Lerner did back McLeish - (£23m-ish/1 =£23m-ish) vs (£50m-ish/3 = 16m-ish) per season

Also please don't mistake this for backing either of them. Enough is enough and they have to go

I think he means Mcleish made a profit in his time here he sold Downing\Young for around £38m - and brought Hutton\Nzog - £14m - approx...

I listened on my way back home to Lamberts post match interview with a growing sense of incredulity.  There is no way that having a decent bit of the game in the second half should be the main thing we take away from this performance.  We didn't begin to play until after we were a goal down yet again.  The first half line up was horrid and we got everything we deserved with it.  Taking the shackles off when you are already a goal down is simply pointless (literally these days).  There is no excuse for not trying to score until the situation = score or lose the game.  Once Liverpool were a goal up yes  we pressed forward a bit and Gil looked pretty good, but FFS why are we waiting to be a goal down before trying to compete.  So yes the second half was better, but it was too little too late and the main theme I took away from the game is that we had already lost it before we even tried to win it.

8 hours 42 minutes since our last goal

It is a next level pile of crap.

Edited by Straggler
  • Like 3

I listened on my way back home to Lamberts post match interview with a growing sense of incredulity.  There is no way that having a decent bit of the game in the second half should be the main thing we take away from this performance.  We didn't begin to play until after we were a goal down yet again.  The first half line up was horrid and we got everything we deserved with it.  Taking the shackles off when you are already a goal down is simply pointless (literally these days).  There is no excuse for not trying to score until the situation = score or lose the game.  Once Liverpool were a goal up yes  we pressed forward a bit and Gil looked pretty good, but FFS why are we waiting to be a goal down before trying to compete.  So yes the second half was better, but it was too little too late and the main theme I took away from the game is that we had already lost it before we even tried to win it.

It is a complete shambles. Lambert is in denial, Lerner is doing heaven know what and there are still some (very) aggressively defending Lambert as the best thing since.....whatever. We are a laughing stock, a joke of a side, the whipping boys of the Premiership  but don't worry Lambert is the right manager to lead us to glory.

• Like 1

I think he means Mcleish made a profit in his time here he sold Downing\Young for around £38m - and brought Hutton\Nzog - £14m - approx...

Yes, correct.

Mcleish had a net transfer inflow of about £23m.

Lambert has a net transfer outflow of about £50m.

So much for pulling the plug on spending!

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

Yes, correct.

Mcleish had a net transfer inflow of about £23m.

Lambert has a net transfer outflow of about £50m.

So much for pulling the plug on spending!

If Lambert had Young and Downing to sell for £38m, that would be £12m over 3 seasons or £4m per season. Not forgetting the wage bill during Lamberts seasons would be lower.

I listened on my way back home to Lamberts post match interview with a growing sense of incredulity. There is no way that having a decent bit of the game in the second half should be the main thing we take away from this performance. We didn't begin to play until after we were a goal down yet again. The first half line up was horrid and we got everything we deserved with it. Taking the shackles off when you are already a goal down is simply pointless (literally these days). There is no excuse for not trying to score until the situation = score or lose the game. Once Liverpool were a goal up yes we pressed forward a bit and Gil looked pretty good, but FFS why are we waiting to be a goal down before trying to compete. So yes the second half was better, but it was too little too late and the main theme I took away from the game is that we had already lost it before we even tried to win it.

It is a complete shambles. Lambert is in denial, Lerner is doing heaven know what and there are still some (very) aggressively defending Lambert as the best thing since.....whatever. We are a laughing stock, a joke of a side, the whipping boys of the Premiership but don't worry Lambert is the right manager to lead us to glory.

Glory? I dont think anyone's said that.

If Lambert had Young and Downing to sell for £38m, that would be £12m over 3 seasons or £4m per season. Not forgetting the wage bill during Lamberts seasons would be lower.

IF - we can only deal with the reality - he didn't!

Getting back to today's game.

The big negative IMO was the team selection - totally got it wrong yet again.

The big positives were the crowd (almost 40k despite the crap that has been served up) and also the debut of Gil who looked promising.

The big positives were the crowd (almost 40k despite the crap that has been served up) and also the debut of Gil who looked promising.

I reckon at least 5k was birmingham based plop fans

Well yes, that's the point, it's ridiculous to use those figures as some reason why Lambert is even more terrible than McLeish because they're totally skewed by McLeish having two very in demand players sold for him.

Edit: Or to suggest that spending hasn't been cut

Edited by a m ole

Well yes, that's the point, it's ridiculous to use those figures as some reason why Lambert is even more terrible than McLeish because they're totally skewed by McLeish having two very in demand players sold for him.

The players were sold during Mcleish's tenure so they form part of his transfer activity. 

The same way if Lambert sold Benteke or any high value asset in his time he would get the benefit for it.

Regardless, the point was that spending had been cut when Lambert came in.

When Lambert came in spending actually increased in his first season compared to Mcleish. Also, on average per season he has spent more than Mcleish did.

Sorry, they're just facts not ifs and buts.

The players were sold during Mcleish's tenure so they form part of his transfer activity.

The same way if Lambert sold Benteke or any high value asset in his time he would get the benefit for it.

Regardless, the point was that spending had been cut when Lambert came in.

When Lambert came in spending actually increased in his first season compared to Mcleish. Also, on average per season he has spent more than Mcleish did.

Sorry, they're just facts not ifs and buts.

it's a non-point. You can point and say 'look, facts!' but I'd prefer to consider circumstances and reasons. Are you arguing Lambert has had a decent budget? let's not forget that the wages is as big an issue as the transfer fees.

Benteke and Gabby might as well been holding hands in the first half as neither gave the other space. Gabby is useless and unfortanelty Benteke and Delph look as if they want to play somewhere else. Except for one dire pass the almost resulted in a goal, Sanchez was class as was his old Elche partner in the middle. 

Edited by clayton8321

Â