Carles Gil

bose

Well looking at the other major leagues and Verona have 8 points, Levante or whoever is bottom in Spain has 10 points, think Troyes has more points than us so yes of the major euro leagues I don't think there's a team with fewer points bottom of their league than us.

It isn't working out, but given our plight during his time here it's not surprising. 

Shouldve been our Arteta or Mahrez, but just hasn't made a good enough case yet. There's some YT clips where he looks outstanding in a Villa shirt, but goes to show what YT can do because they must have the only 3 minutes of form he has shown since he's been here.

Certain he will be another one who embarrasses us once he leaves by being a star, but that's our luck and place in the world at the moment!

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think other than the top two everyone would struggle and at least half would struggle in the Championship. Spanish football is even more broken than ours.

I can't agree with that. Atletico would probably be title contenders, Villareal and Celta Vigo would be top 6 at least. Sevilla and Valencia maybe top half on this seasons performances,

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, thunderball said:

It isn't working out, but given our plight during his time here it's not surprising. 

Shouldve been our Arteta or Mahrez, but just hasn't made a good enough case yet. There's some YT clips where he looks outstanding in a Villa shirt, but goes to show what YT can do because they must have the only 3 minutes of form he has shown since he's been here.

Certain he will be another one who embarrasses us once he leaves by being a star, but that's our luck and place in the world at the moment!

And I am just as certain that he won't.

1 hour ago, myko said:

If that's the case then I don't really understand the outrage over suggesting that a club doesn't deserve a player who looks better than the rest of those in that position yet consistently gets very little chance. 

He doesn't look better.

1 hour ago, myko said:

Say if Liverpool were struggling for goals and refusing to give Benteke any chance for a prolonged period of time besides the odd 5 minutes here or there then I'm sure some Villa fans would be thinking they don't deserve him. Perhaps "deserve" wasn't the right choice of word. Wasn't suggesting Gil is bigger than the club or even the best player, was just trying to look at the situation objectively.

People on VT love ganging up on a post over a slip of the tongue or  someone having an opinion which doesn't match their's, puts me off. 

That is what VT is about. Discussion. I do not necessarily have to agree with you, or you with me.

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

That is what VT is about. Discussion. I do not necessarily have to agree with you, or you with me.

Can still respect other's opinions without dismissing them like they're inconceivable though? 

• Like 1

I love it when VT discussions descend (ascend?) to the sphere of Human Rights/respect for others etc.

As for Gil, I've thought from the start that, while he has nice touches on the ball and neat passing ability, he looks lightweight, lacks a little pace in front of goal and is a bit tentative in the last third. Not the first player you'd choose to help us scrap our way out of relegation.

The irony of the current discussion is that there was a time when I kept my head down on this issue because anyone expressing doubts about Carles was immediately shot down in flames.

9 hours ago, myko said:

Can still respect other's opinions without dismissing them like they're inconceivable though? 

Of course. I don't agree with you in this case, but I am not dismissing your opinion. They are opinions, therefore each of us in our own mind thinks he is correct. Perfectly valid to discuss them, though, and agree to disagree. Let's do that and move on, as we are probably boring the other posters.

Although at this stage, other posters are probably skipping past our posts anyway. :)

• Like 1

I think it's a real shame.  We're not exactly blessed with strength in depth (or even at first choice).  It seems Remi wants to use Veretout in the more advanced CM role and Gil hasn't really shown enough out when he has been played out wide.  There would be many more names on my list to ship out before we get to Carles, but if moving him on (with Gabby, Zog and Kozak) gets us a more balanced side to play the way Remi wants then I'll go with that.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

As for Gil, I've thought from the start that, while he has nice touches on the ball and neat passing ability, he looks lightweight, lacks a little pace in front of goal and is a bit tentative in the last third. Not the first player you'd choose to help us scrap our way out of relegation.

The irony of the current discussion is that there was a time when I kept my head down on this issue because anyone expressing doubts about Carles was immediately shot down in flames.

I don't think you're right there. The criticism you're giving him there is fair, you back it up and don't go overboard. I think it's when people just come up with the "he's shit, should **** back to Spain" or something like that when they get "shot down in flames".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I love it when VT discussions descend (ascend?) to the sphere of Human Rights/respect for others etc.

I respect your right to post that.  Actually, past just being a smart ass reply... of everything I've seen you post here lately.  I think I agree more with your thoughts on Gil than anything else you've said.  Which proves that your right about him, and wrong on much else.  But I respect that.   :) 

• Like 1

Cant really see Betis interested at all with Dani Ceballos in their team. Gil has showed some promise but we need better immediately and cannot wait for Carles to come really good so a loan or sell to Primera team would be good.

Â