New manager

reykjavik

Former Aston Villa manager Brian Little, who was the last man to lead the club to a major trophy, has been speaking to BBC Sport about the current situation at Villa Park.

"I'm not sure I would want to be the football manager at the club. I would love to help out in some capacity but I think at the moment the job is for someone who is very current and someone who is right in amongst it.

"Their main choice now is whether it's a short term appointment to make sure we stay up or is it a long term appointment."

From BBC Sportsday

This 'Managing Villa is a bad job, nobody would want it' is media fed bollox, look at the facts

Lambert was the Premier Leagues second longest serving manager with the poorest record of them all. Villa is an excellent opportunity for a good manager, they will be given time by the owner and the fans, unlike 90% of other premier league teams, money may be tight but the squad we have is strong and has been for years.

If a manager isn't good enough to get the most from the opportunity they have been given, to manage Villa, then they have destroyed their own career's.

Agree to an extent - but you can't argue with the fact that not many managers leave Villa to go on to bigger and better things (maybe only GT leaving for England), and not many actually go on to achieve anything of any significance.

Villa is the door to career suicide....its not appealing to successful established managers, its only appealing to those who are stepping up from lower leagues, or to those who have nothing to lose.

The Doc managed Scotland and Man U after us so he was an exception, Graham Turner had some success at other clubs, but generally its true. I think most people find it a very tough job mentally and are normally burnt out afterwards. This happened to Little and Gregory.

How many managers of similar teams go on to better things, David Moyes Everton to Manure? Can't think of many more. Fact is, Lerner doesn't sack managers without a very good reason, he gives them the best chance to succeed in the League, to date, but they still have to perform, if they don't then they have to go.

Well the point is, you have to compare like with like. You can't compare us to Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. as for the last 20 years they havn't been shopping around for managers, they have either had long term manager in place or have changed managers and appointed big names....

The clubs that are simliar to us are arguably, off the top of my head -

1) Spurs - Hoddle went to England, Redknapp was linked with England

2) Everton - Moyes was there a long time and went to Man Utd, but it didn't work out

3) Wigan - Martinez left to go to Everton

4) QPR / Fulham - Hughes did well and left both and is still doing well

5) Stoke - Pulis left has done well since

6) Newcastle  - Hughton was sacked and went on to find employment although he did take Norwich down eventually! Pardew will do well at Palace

7) Southampton - Pochetinno went to Suprs, and Koeman looks like he will be great for them

8) Swansea - Rodgers went to Liverpool, and although Laudrup was sacked, his reputation is still in tact

9) Norwich - Lambert did well for them and left to take a step up to us

Obviously not every manager of these clubs have been a success, but they have at least had some managers who havn't been failures!

The only recent manager we have had who was a "success" was probably MON. He was linked at least passing with the England job both before and after he joined us, and when he left we had just had a decent season and his reputation was relatively in tact, at least with everyone other Villa fans.

The point is, if you were looking at the Villa job, there is not many people you can look at where you could say - "he did well, and then went on to do XYZ"

That's because we are the pinnacle for a lot of managers coming here. They wouldn't get better offers at the time. We have dropped a bit but with the right manager we could easily be pushing top 6 again with big crowds etc in a couple of years. After that you only have a handleful of clubs that are bigger and better and they attract the very best managers ones who wouldn't come to us in the first place.

• Like 1

With the rubbish that's been linked with us, I'd much rather have Laursen and Mellberg as his number 2 put in place until the end of the season.

Whats Sherwood done that he gets linked so heavily? If we cant get an experienced relegation battled manager then get these 2 in who have about the same amount of experience as Tim bloody Sherwood

I bet Steve Bould is offered the job.

Yeah, if i was a betting man, thats who my money would be on

But people are only guessing at Arsenal connections because of Richard's suggestion that this time we getting a letter from Wenger rather than Ferguson. As I say would Wenger really be writing a letter asking us to employ Bould when he's still at Arsenal.

There are ALWAYS the same names that get put to the top of the betting list for every job in the league. The fact that Sherwood has been favorite for the WBA, Palace, Leicester, Newcastle & QPR in the last 6 months shows the bookies know knob all.