The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

12 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't doubt this but it would be interesting to see what they defined as 'foiling an attack'.

The term conjures up images of guys getting raiding as they're soldering the wires to the c4, whereas I'd suspect that the more accurate take would be that they've picked up a load of guys who popped up on a list as having looked at dodgy material the intelligence services have flagged.

It doesn't remove the great standard of work GCHQ and co are doing but probably ranks down the threat mentally when it's actually more often than not picking up guys that present a risk rather than an imminent threat.

The Security Service are more inclined to watch, observe and record plotters for as long as possible until the risk is considered too great to let them continue their preparation. This allows them to gather more evidence and increase the likely hood of prosecution, in addition to hopefully exposing more of their network over time. That unfortunate business with Irish Republicanism gave the UK a very good grounding in this sort of thing. 

The one good thing for us about Paris is Cameron and Co. finally having their hands forced in terms of funding for our foreign and domestic intelligence services, which were both (moronically) cut following the London Olympics. 

Edited by Awol
speoling
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I don't doubt this but it would be interesting to see what they defined as 'foiling an attack'.

The term conjures up images of guys getting raiding as they're soldering the wires to the c4, whereas I'd suspect that the more accurate take would be that they've picked up a load of guys who popped up on a list as having looked at dodgy material the intelligence services have flagged.

It doesn't remove the great standard of work GCHQ and co are doing but probably ranks down the threat mentally when it's actually more often than not picking up guys that present a risk rather than an imminent threat.

I think the numbers being quoted should surely counter this view, 7 threats in 12 months.

I think it is fair to assume that there have been more than 7 instances or groups of individuals picked up by the intelligence services based on this criteria including limpid!

Personally I take it to mean things a little more significant when they use they talk about foiling plots against the UK.

Given there is an accusation that May and co will use any excuse they can to invade civil liberties, don't you think they would be inflating that figure a bit higher than 7? Not that they'd have to do so based on the definition you are attributing to the number.

Just now, omariqy said:

Out of interest how many people have been convicted of said incidents say over the last 5 years?

Getting convictions is such an antiquated idea. We just disappear these people nowadays. ;)

Just now, omariqy said:

Out of interest how many people have been convicted of said incidents say over the last 5 years?

A fair question, I don't know the answer but will take a look and see if its out there.

I would though imagine that convictions don't follow in all cases as I'd imagine its possible to foil an attack without securing a conviction.

I also imagine that we never even hear about some of the cases.

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/home/about-us/what-we-do/the-threats/terrorism/international-terrorism/arrests-and-convictions.html

Actually, that was quite easy to find and quite definitive I think.

[quot]The cases below represent notable terrorist convictions since the beginning of 2002. Counter terrorism statistics relating to arrests and their outcomes are published by the Home Office. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I think its far too easy to blame geography. Yes there is little to stop people crossing a border but there is also little to stop people crossing the sea in boats, I mean people swim it its that close.

I think its far more down to the security services than luck.

Just on the point about crossing the channel (smuggling) it's really not easy at all. UK maritime domain awareness is very, very good.

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Uh huh. So a CIA black op', or Mossad? 

Please elaborate why you exclude these possibilities.

Not referrig to quote:

The Police in my city (Bern) are patrolling with machine guns today. Does this mean I should be scared?

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

23 minutes ago, YGabbana said: A person is going to commit mass murder, takes his passport with him.

Seems legit

Uh huh. So a CIA black op', or Mossad? 

Nope, but maybe they are guessing who carried out the attacks as 1 of them blew himself up but the passport survived lol.

Wernt 2 of them french citizens? Why would they need to carry passports with them anywhere.

2 hours ago, Awol said: Uh huh. So a CIA black op', or Mossad? 

Please elaborate why you exclude these possibilities.

Not referrig to quote:

The Police in my city (Bern) are patrolling with machine guns today. Does this mean I should be scared?

Because he knows everything.

3 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Wernt 2 of them french citizens? Why would they need to carry passports with them anywhere.

They'd likely be carrying their national identity cards (if anything), I'd have thought.

Edited by snowychap

23 minutes ago, Awol said:

Just on the point about crossing the channel (smuggling) it's really not easy at all. UK maritime domain awareness is very, very good.

I'm sure it is but surely people and/or goods can and do enter the UK regularly either through ports or other means. Is that not how most imported drugs reach our shores?

Â