The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

Hopefully I'm stating the obvious here.

ISIS tend not to all wear the same uniform and march in formation. We can disrupt them, we can inflict massive defeats on them and deplete their numbers with carpet bombing and selected assassination of leaders. All brilliant. I'll cheers everytime. But there will not be an end date when we 'win'. There isn't going to be a set piece tank battle. If it gets truly grim for them, they will melt away. It's the nature of the thing. An unmonitored USSR didn't defeat the mujahideen, Bush didn't annihilate the Iraqi military. Ditto, Libya, ditto Yemen, ditto Al Qaeda after Bin Laden, ditto, ditto.

We can and will disrupt them, smash them up and help get countries and communities functioning again. But it will be a long time before the last death cult nut job gives up and just goes home.

• Like 2

I'll be damned if I can figure out how to make this work.

Search YouTube for Dan Carlin Paris. Interesting listen on the conflict between the gut reaction and the thoughtful considered reaction to Paris.

Edited by Chindie

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Hopefully I'm stating the obvious here.

ISIS tend not to all wear the same uniform and march in formation. We can disrupt them, we can inflict massive defeats on them and deplete their numbers with carpet bombing and selected assassination of leaders. All brilliant. I'll cheers everytime. But there will not be an end date when we 'win'. There isn't going to be a set piece tank battle. If it gets truly grim for them, they will melt away. It's the nature of the thing. An unmonitored USSR didn't defeat the mujahideen, Bush didn't annihilate the Iraqi military. Ditto, Libya, ditto Yemen, ditto Al Qaeda after Bin Laden, ditto, ditto.

We can and will disrupt them, smash them up and help get countries and communities functioning again. But it will be a long time before the last death cult nut job gives up and just goes home.

Quite right. The near term strategy should be to try and decimate them and cripple their operations. 

But long term, it's the Saudis who bankroll them, and who will bankroll whoever comes after them that is the problem. 

And to bring it full circle, it's the US/UK funding of the Saudis which seemingly makes the problem totally intractable. 

Too much money being made on this strife to slow it down anytime soon.

So what is the real solution?

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

And all the while, China is sitting back, watching, and waiting...

If the west get it wrong, it's China who'll be paid (in oil) to rebuild the countries of the Middle East. I doubt their agenda is more than that.

57 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

no surprises there then. i always forget that we are as bad as the terrorists groups.

It's not us though.

We're back to the suits again.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

And all the while, China is sitting back, watching, and waiting...

They're quite happy, beavering away at the resources of Africa.

3 minutes ago, Xann said:

It's not us though.

We're back to the suits again.

They're quite happy, beavering away at the resources of Africa.

well yeah i did not mean me and you but the people who run this joint and im not on about limpid either:)

Edited by Rugeley Villa

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

If the west get it wrong, it's China who'll be paid (in oil) to rebuild the countries of the Middle East. I doubt their agenda is more than that.

My point was more that they won't mind one bit if the Allied powers and Russia too all get bogged down in one sloppy mess for a while. 

17 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Well worth a watch. 

On the light hearted side but relevant.

Likable guy with good points to make, but as a practicing member of one of the Abrahamic religions, he has some core beliefs that are pretty **** crazy

8 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Thought it might potentially change some peoples opinions slightly.....

was pretty funny tbf. the way i view things is that in places like say alum rock for instance or any other big muslim area,or ghetto as i like to call them i invision in my head that those areas are full of extremists and the majority of people there are pro islamists and anti britain. now before anyone gets upset im probably wrong but thats the vision my mind takes of those areas, and ive been through those areas and worked there and i dont at all feel at ease with what i see. like i said im almost certain im wrong but its the view me and many people have. always said id love to get to know some muslims so my mind would possibly change and id see other sides of the religion.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

was pretty funny tbf. the way i view things is that in places like say alum rock for instance or any other big muslim area,or ghetto as i like to call them i invision in my head that those areas are full of extremists and the majority of people there are pro islamists and anti britain. now before anyone gets upset im probably wrong but thats the vision my mind takes of those areas, and ive been through those areas and worked there and i dont at all feel at ease with what i see. like i said im almost certain im wrong but its the view me and many people have. always said id love to get to know some muslims so my mind would change and id see other sides of the religion.

That's your opinion and nobody has any right to say you are wrong.

I do think though that if you lived around these areas and interacted with these people you would see very quickly that the vast majority just want to live good, happy lives like the rest of us.

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

That's your opinion and nobody has any right to say you are wrong.

I do think though that if you lived around these areas and interacted with these people you would see very quickly that the vast majority just want to live good, happy lives like the rest of us.

your possibly right. round my parts its still predominantly white british so it will be a while yet before we have much contact with people from the islamic world.

Â