The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

6 minutes ago, coda said:

Just heard today is the anniversary of the Breivik attack.

It is. 5 years ago. Deadliest terror attack by a single killer. It takes a special kind of word removed to walk around an island executing teenagers.

Off topic though, unless this has become a de facto terrorism thread.

As for Munich, given what we know of the incident so far, which isn't much, I'll be astonished if that death toll doesn't rise. A shooter, or more, at a shopping centre, on a Friday afternoon? It'd be carnage.

And the perpertrator, able to completely vanish. Munich locked down. GSG9 apparently being flown in...

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

What's GSG9? 

German anti-terror/hostage elite police force. Have a long history of dealing with this kind of thing on German soil or involving German interests, although their actual operations rarely get reported. Basically they're very good at tackling this kinda thing, The problem currently however would seem that nobody has a clue what the situation is for them to deal with. I guess they could organise things to track down whoever did this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

What's GSG9? 

Elite German counter-terrorism, hostage rescue and special operations police unit.

Wiki was my friend.

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So possible right wing attack is the thinking?

Nobody knows. Theres been some talk of things supposedly said by whoever did this, that might suggest it's not your typical Islamic madman/men. But until you've got witnesses, or the suspects, you don't know. And the shooter didn't appear to fit the stereotype of Muslim killer, if we're to crash violently towards racism. But again that's no proof of anything.

Now getting some talk of (one of?) the killer(s) having shot himself.

They haven't caught any of the shooters yet either still at large

One of gunman is german yelling that he's on benefits and footage seems to suggest he has a limp?

Edited by AshVilla

28 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Now getting some talk of (one of?) the killer(s) having shot himself.

Poor weapon handling skills! 

Sky saying German plod confirmed 3 active shooters at large with rifles. 

Very strange choice of targets for right wing extremists but clearly no one knows very much at this point.*

*note this post is a non expert opinion.

Edited by Awol

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

Poor weapon handling skills! 

Sky saying German plod confirmed 3 active shooters at large with rifles. 

Very strange choice of targets for right wing extremists but clearly no one knows very much at this point.*

*note this post is a non expert opinion.

Very dark ;)

If it's right wing, which is miles from certain, I guess a shopping centre might have allowed the choice of targets. A cross section of society to pick your hatred from.

But, again, who knows. The inevitable shootout in a few hours could reveal the shooter(s) to be the most stereotyped of stereotypical Islamic men.

The video of the guy on the car park roof is utterly bizarre. The guy who looks like the McDonalds shooter is walking around whilst a bloke from a block of flats nearby is shouting at him apparently loads of abuse (it seems this is where the '**** foreigners' thing came from, it's NOT from the alleged killer it appears) and the guy shouts back odd stuff like 'I'm German, I live on benefits, I've had mental health issues, and I've not done anything'...

Eyewitness claims to have heard the shooter shout "Allahu Akbar" in McDonald's. And then there's the reports of him, or another of them, shouting about foreigners. 

Either way, what an utterly depressing year this has been so far.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Very dark ;)

If it's right wing, which is miles from certain, I guess a shopping centre might have allowed the choice of targets. A cross section of society to pick your hatred from.

But, again, who knows. The inevitable shootout in a few hours could reveal the shooter(s) to be the most stereotyped of stereotypical Islamic men.

The video of the guy on the car park roof is utterly bizarre. The guy who looks like the McDonalds shooter is walking around whilst a bloke from a block of flats nearby is shouting at him apparently loads of abuse (it seems this is where the '**** foreigners' thing came from, it's NOT from the alleged killer it appears) and the guy shouts back odd stuff like 'I'm German, I live on benefits, I've had mental health issues, and I've not done anything'...

Yep it's a strange one. On the plus side they don't yet appear to be stacking up dead victims by the dozen which is a welcome break from recent trends. 

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

If its a group, unfortunately i'm guessing its terrorism.

Even an individual can cause terrorist acts, no? That could include anyone of race, religious beliefs or just downright evil mindedness. 

Either way, it is sad times.  

Edited by trekka

1 minute ago, trekka said:

Even an individual can cause terrorist acts, no? 

Indeed they can, but its rare a group go on the rampage, unless it's terror related.  It's scary, its the new war!

5 minutes ago, Awol said:

Yep it's a strange one. On the plus side they don't yet appear to be stacking up dead victims by the dozen which is a welcome break from recent trends. 

Reading some of the translations coming from that video, it almost seems like a high school shooting in the US - the guy seems to talk about being bullied and having to have mental help.

2 minutes ago, trekka said:

Even an individual can cause terrorist acts, no? 

Many would argue that they can't. Not something I'd agree with though.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Many would argue that they can't. Not something I'd agree with though.

Aye.  I'd happen to agree with wiki though:

Terrorism, in its broadest sense, is defined as the use or threatened use of violence (terror) in order to achieve a political, religious, or ideological aim.

Just now, Chindie said:

Reading some of the translations coming from that video, it almost seems like a high school shooting in the US - the guy seems to talk about being bullied and having to have mental help.

Fair enough, but what about the other gunmen? School chess club? 

Hopefully the other gunmen haven't managed to leave the area (if indeed there are other active shooters) or it could start again later in another location. 

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

Fair enough, but what about the other gunmen? School chess club? 

Hopefully the other gunmen haven't managed to leave the area (if indeed there are other active shooters) or it could start again later in another location. 

I'm not sure it's been confirmed if there are other shooters yet - police seem to be working on the assumption there are but every one of these incidents always has the 'there were 2/3/4 shooters' reports.

However even if that rooftop video is accurate (and moreover the translations accurate) it doesn't preclude it being your typical Islamic flavour attack - word removed of Islamic (given it's Germany, Turkish?) background with mental health issues and unhappy background turns to nutjob religion that says go kill for Allah, and does it with some other words removed.

Â