The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Surely anyone that hits a woman, breaks in to a house at Christmas, rapes, takes illegal and dangerous drugs, smokes or drinks too much is also 'mental'?

No, they may simply be a member of the house of Lords.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

No, they may simply be a member of the house of Lords.

No blandy, there not mental just not fit to stand trial.

Meanwhile talking of mental Assad is claiming 3 members of the Syrian army were killed by an allied air strike, they are saying they weren't operating in the area at the time. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has reported coalition planes bombed a army camp killing 4.

Syria is now calling on the UN Security Council to stop such acts of aggression.

Seems highly likely to me that having previously pretty much welcomed allied bombing of ISIS Assad would now like to push them back out and depend on Russia.

15 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Meanwhile talking of mental Assad is claiming 3 members of the Syrian army were killed by an allied air strike, they are saying they weren't operating in the area at the time. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has reported coalition planes bombed a army camp killing 4.

Syria is now calling on the UN Security Council to stop such acts of aggression.

Seems highly likely to me that having previously pretty much welcomed allied bombing of ISIS Assad would now like to push them back out and depend on Russia.

I can't find evidence of such a claim claim on their (SOHR) website.  But anyway, whether it's true or not, it's conceivable that it or a similar future event might happen. The difficulty I have is that Syria (Assad) asking the UN SC to tell the coalition not to do that sort of thing is kind of going nowhere at best (the people who allegedly did it are on the SC) and furthermore the UN just asked them to do everything necessary to stop the ISILs, so 3 or 4 real or imaginary dead Assad soldiers killed by whoever is not going to change that.

I guess Russia and Assad "would say (and do) that wouldn't they". That's the difficulty -  so many different parties with so many different interests and wishes.

15 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

That is very surprising although I'd suggest a great portion of 'Christians' are non practising and just chose it as default due to this supposedly being a Christian country along with having been force fed it at school.

By chance, I was just reading page 39 of my newspaper which says "49 percent of Britons say they are of no religion", but not where they got that from. So I Mooneyed it, and found a pdf  which summarises that

The findings from NatCen’s British Social Attitudes survey show that the proportion of British adults who say they are Anglican fell from 40% in 1983 to 17% in 2014. However the shift has been most dramatic over the last decade as the proportion has fallen by two fifths in ten years, down from 29% of the population in 2004.

In real terms, this suggests that the number of Anglicans in Britain fell by as many as 4.5 million over the last ten years from around 13 million people to about 8.5 million.  

The rise of atheism?

The biggest group remains people who say they have no religion, which accounts for around half (49%) of all people in Britain, up from 31% in 1983 and 43% a decade ago

All from natcen

That looks more likely.  I generally thought we are considered an atheist country now.  People regularly cite the irony that we are non-religious with bits of religion ingrained into the constitution (the monarch being god's representative etc) and America being formed completely as a secular country despite having a large amount of religious erm wackjobs.  And that includes a lot of the politicians.  

Reading some updates and as ever it is the civilian population that suffers.  The price of gas and oil is extortionate now as a lot of the supply lines are being bombed. I may be wrong but I think they are in the middle of winter so there will be lots of innocent people suffering again because of a lack of heat and important resources.

The NatCen figure 'feels' more realistic. But it's from a varying sample size of circa 4,000 people. I think the census was a bigger sample. 

If we accept the Nat Cen figure without question and presume you can extrap 2,800 answers in 2014 across an adult population of over 50,000,000 that's still over 25,000,000 mental people in Britain. That still feels like quite a big number with mental problems.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

25,000,000 mental people in Britain

It is a teeny bit mentalist to believe in a benevolent, almost omni-present, supernatural being in control of everything and punishing those who stray whilst rewarding those who comply and so on. There long been requests for proof of His existence, but all the "evidence" has been shown to be false and hoaxes and such like.

Has anyone ever seen Father Christmas? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

It is a teeny bit mentalist to believe in benevolent, almost omni-present, supernatural beings* in control of everything and punishing those who stray whilst rewarding those who comply and so on.

I thought we weren't supposed to comment on moderation. :mrgreen:

*sneakily edited.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

It is a teeny bit mentalist to believe in a benevolent, almost omni-present, supernatural being in control of everything and punishing those who stray whilst rewarding those who comply and so on. There long been requests for proof of His existence, but all the "evidence" has been shown to be false and hoaxes and such like.

Has anyone ever seen Father Christmas? 

Yes, he was at my garden center last night when I went to pick up my tree he said hello or was it ho ho ho, I'm not sure, either way it was more polite than that Jesus fella.

• Like 1

I wouldn't listen to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It's in Coventry and relies on sources on the ground that are rarely verified. I presume that most of the reports come from Raqqa is being Slaughtered Silently, who are accurate and on the ground. The fact that they're still operating is a miracle, what with Russia and France/US/us bombing them, the nutters who occupy the city running amok and, probably most frighteningly, managing assassinations of contributors outside the warzone in Turkey.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, islingtonclaret said:

I wouldn't listen to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It's in Coventry and relies on sources on the ground that are rarely verified. I presume that most of the reports come from Raqqa is being Slaughtered Silently, who are accurate and on the ground. The fact that they're still operating is a miracle, what with Russia and France/US/us bombing them, the nutters who occupy the city running amok and, probably most frighteningly, managing assassinations of contributors outside the warzone in Turkey.

Agreed... SOHR stinks in a Chalabi-esque manner. 

Now you would think they would be suffering given the array of adversaries, but we know that the US has been very tentative in their bombing (unsurprising given their duplicitous geopolitical aims), while France initially targeted abandoned ISIS targets provided by the US and well the 6 bombs dropped by Her Majesties army is a rather pointless effort whose goal is simply to gain access to the adult discussion table.

19 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Office of National Statistics, 2011 Census. Info released 2013. 

ONS

figure1_tcm77-305936.png

As it happens, figures out today prove that chart is rubbish. And yes, by definition, if anyone has a faith (believing in something without evidence) then I don't trust their mental reasoning.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

That's a bit crass.

...as intended then. The actions of the British government will make no difference to improving the situation in Syria or in finding a long term solution, and amount to no more than the most disgraceful grand standing by Cameron and the government he leads. 

Please note, that the actions of the British government are illegal in terms of international law, just as those of the USA, France and Israel in bombing the nation state of Syria. Now I realize that international law is, strictly speaking, only enforceable via the rules of the Jungle. But in order to find a comprehensive solution to what is going in the middle east as a whole, and in this epoch where the global power balance is returning to an equilibrium post WWI/II, nation states are going to have to start playing by the "rules" again. We have absolutely no credibility nor ethical/moral legitimacy given our recent and current course of actions.

2 minutes ago, villakram said:

...as intended then.

My condemnatory comment assumed that you held a different position and the adult table comment implied something about the maturity of accepting violence as a ticket to the top table.

My assumption was obviously incorrect - apologies. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

...as intended then. The actions of the British government will make no difference to improving the situation in Syria or in finding a long term solution, and amount to no more than the most disgraceful grand standing by Cameron and the government he leads. 

Please note, that the actions of the British government are illegal in terms of international law, just as those of the USA, France and Israel in bombing the nation state of Syria. Now I realize that international law is, strictly speaking, only enforceable via the rules of the Jungle. But in order to find a comprehensive solution to what is going in the middle east as a whole, and in this epoch where the global power balance is returning to an equilibrium post WWI/II, nation states are going to have to start playing by the "rules" again. We have absolutely no credibility nor ethical/moral legitimacy given our recent and current course of actions.

It would be pretty ironic to "play by the rules" where ISIS are concerned. 2 can play at that game.

Â