What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

22 hours ago, tinker said:

I forgot all about them. Always lots of passion in their music ...

On 04/09/2022 at 18:05, bickster said:

So brilliant. I'm thinking they get more respect than pounds in their accounts. Thanks for sharing that. Adored locally by the hipster cognoscenti and by a few knowing national critics, but can't sell too many records? Reminds me a little of the Fall and, in my country, Pere Ubu. What a great and funny song.   

Edited by Marka Ragnos

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

So brilliant. I'm thinking they get more respect than pounds in their accounts. Thanks for sharing that. Adored locally by the hipster cognoscenti and by a few knowing national critics, but can't sell too many records? Reminds me a little of the Fall and, in my country, Pere Ubu. What a great and funny song.   

There's a film directed by the comedian Stuart Lee, who is a big fan of the band called King Rocker. That film is partly responsible for the return of the King Kong Statue to Birmingham

To be honest, I think they are more revered nationally than in Brum but yes, The Fall and Pere Ubu are decent comparisons, especially The Fall

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's a film directed by the comedian Stuart Lee, who is a big fan of the band called King Rocker. That film is partly responsible for the return of the King Kong Statue to Birmingham

To be honest, I think they are more revered nationally than in Brum but yes, The Fall and Pere Ubu are decent comparisons, especially The Fall

If bands like the Nightengales could have just 0.5% of the Taylor Swift market, we'd have a better world. I'll have to see if I can see that film.  Yeah, in Akron only a tiny group of aging proto-punks and their interesting, lip-studded children know Pere Ubu. 😞 

On 04/09/2022 at 16:36, Marka Ragnos said:

Nice! Cool Les Paul that’s sure getting a lot of attention in that video. The singer’s eyeglasses are the same my geometry teacher wore in 1982. 

By coincidence, he is a teacher. Well, a lecturer. In music.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

By coincidence, he is a teacher. Well, a lecturer. In music.

Oh, wow, almost perfect. If his specs just had those dark "Transition" tints, he'd be off-the-charts nerd-cool. Looks like a very underground act. Great bluesey song. Les Paul and excellent drumming carry it off well. Are they unsigned? 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

22 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh, wow, almost perfect. If his specs just had those dark "Transition" tints, he'd be off-the-charts nerd-cool. Looks like a very underground act. Great bluesey song. Les Paul and excellent drumming carry it off well. Are they unsigned? 

They’re part of the local music scene, part of the network. I’ve got 4 or 5 of his albums, as Keys, The Keys, Murray The Hump. The drummer on that track is the guitarist in a band called Boy Azooga who are equally good. They put out records on Libertino, or See Monkey Do Monkey and so they are sharing labels with the likes of Papur Wal, Adwaith, Colorama. Pretty much the heart of the local £12 gig scene.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

They’re part of the local music scene, part of the network. I’ve got 4 or 5 of his albums, as Keys, The Keys, Murray The Hump. The drummer on that track is the guitarist in a band called Boy Azooga who are equally good. They put out records on Libertino, or See Monkey Do Monkey and so they are sharing labels with the likes of Papur Wal, Adwaith, Colorama. Pretty much the heart of the local £12 gig scene.

Fantastic. Never in a million years would have heard if not for VT. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Â