What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Couldn't name a single song by P. J. Harvey - I've probably only ever heard a couple. So I was quite surprised to see that there is one of those 'Uncut' specials (every album reviewed, etc.) dedicated to her. The others in the series are Dylan, Neil Young, Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, etc. 

Is she really that big? 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Couldn't name a single song by P. J. Harvey - I've probably only ever heard a couple. So I was quite surprised to see that there is one of those 'Uncut' specials (every album reviewed, etc.) dedicated to her. The others in the series are Dylan, Neil Young, Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Springsteen, etc. 

Is she really that big? 

She's worthy of it. Obviously not as well known/sold as many records as the others you've listed, but in terms of awards and critical acclaim, then yes. She's also on a bit of a hot streak of consistently good albums.

Ultimately, too, Uncut want to sell magazines.

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

She's worthy of it. Obviously not as well known/sold as many records as the others you've listed, but in terms of awards and critical acclaim, then yes. She's also on a bit of a hot streak of consistently good albums.

Ultimately, too, Uncut want to sell magazines.

Well, yes - but in my ignorance I didn't think PJH would sell many magazines, except to a relatively small, cult readership. Shows how out of touch I am, as usual. 

I think PJ is like the vast majority of artists, if they’re not already on your list then there isn’t the exposure to push them on to your list. But for those that ‘know’ then there’s a whole host of stuff out there all considered better than ‘just pop’. Though I’m not sure who decides when an artist is ‘serious’?

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned something about Nick Cave to my missus, and she claimed never to have heard of him. I said ‘red right hand guy’, nope, nothing.

I’d put Sparks in a similar sort of pot. Most people might register them as a two hit 1970’s novelty act with a weird looking fella in the background. But they’ve made 20 plus albums. For me, I’m looking forward to their next album more than anything else released this year. Gigs coming up in London, Manchester, Bristol etc., majority of people wouldn't know - and why should they, Olly Murs is perfectly adequate for background music whilst you pre load for a night in 'spoons.

• Like 3

Â