Relegation v4.0

BleedClaretAndBlue

Hulls defending was absolutely awful. We might be shit at scoring goals but we have a decent defense.

Why - because we kept clean sheets against Palace and Sunderland ?

Was the defence decent yesterday ?

I think weve been largely decent in defense yes, certainly better than the last 2 seasons. I definitely dont think we've defended as bad as hull did today.

The defence isn't great by any means. It's just a lot better than it was.

To be honest I measure a defence in terms of clean sheets - of which we don't keep that many.  A lot of teams take the foot of the gas at 2-0 up - so bumbling along loosing 1-0 , 2-0 and taking comfort that isn't 5-0,6-0 is a false comfort IMO.....

I'd go with that.

I'd also add that some of the worst teams on the planet often can appear to be defending valiantly with 10/11 men behind the ball.

Though the defensive players have improved, how much of our better defensive record is down to the fact that, more often than not, we do nothing but defend.

I'd go with that.

I'd also add that some of the worst teams on the planet often can appear to be defending valiantly with 10/11 men behind the ball.

Though the defensive players have improved, how much of our better defensive record is down to the fact that, more often than not, we do nothing but defend.

Going on our starting line up against Liverpool, I counted 2 out-and-out attackers in our run on squad. You could cycle Sanchez, Cleverly, Westwood and Delph through the same holding midfield role - and we played all 4 of them.

So you are correct: Our defense is slightly improved...

... because that is all the team is sent out to do.

• Like 4

I'd go with that.

Going on our starting line up against Liverpool, I counted 2 out-and-out attackers in our run on squad. You could cycle Sanchez, Cleverly, Westwood and Delph through the same holding midfield role - and we played all 4 of them.

So you are correct: Our defense is slightly improved...

... because that is all the team is sent out to do.

I think the plan will be to play Gil.

Like I've said elsewhere, I'd expect the way we finished the game against Liverpool (4-3-3 with Gil, Sanchez and Delph in midfield) to be the way we start games going forward.

Maybe no in the next two, because we'll understandably be a bit more defensive against those teams. But once they're out the way I expect that to be the midfield going forward.

I think Lambert just didn't want to throw Gil in after being in the country for a couple of days. Once he's up to speed (which he already looks like he is given his cameo!) then he'll be starting for sure.

• Like 1

Oh dear, more pressure on Gil.

Hope someone has explained to him he just has to turn us into a footballing side, capable of effective attacking football, and create lots of goals (and maybe score them given Benteke's current dry spell).

Simples.

• Like 1

Hope someone has explained to him he just has to turn us into a footballing side, capable of effective attacking football, and create lots of goals (and maybe score them given Benteke's current dry spell).

Simples.

Haha. Yes. At least that's a weight off Grealish's shoulders though.

• Like 1

Call me a pessimist but the fact we are so poor at scoring goals this season will undoubtedly cost us our premiership status.

Derby County has the record of scoring the fewest goals in a season which was the grand total of 20, they finished bottom and were relegated.

The club who finished 19th was our neighbours who scored 46.

Anybody think we will get to 20?

Simples.

How is suggesting the formation might be slightly different with Gil starting putting more pressure on him?

Simples.

To be honest, that's pretty much his job description, and hel get a very handsome wage whether he performs it or not.

Hopefully, he will be one of the few villa players who fulfil his role!

So Palace & Albion change their managers and what do you know? after a few games they are both above us.

Forget the magic of the cup. next up for us, Chelsea & Arsenal. No goals and no points there then.

Forget the goals, the good defence, the negative records, new signings, all the pluses & minuses.

Fact is Lambert has proved he cant do the job of managing this club.

When Lerner doesnt have the balls to sack him because he dont know who to replace him, then ask even Doug to find a manager if he cant be bothered. Doug would love the boast of "I saved the Club from going down" he'd probably do it for free.

Our ONLY hope is that 3 of Burnley, Sunderland, Leicester, QPR & Hull are worse than us.

Edited by Grasshopper

thanx to P3te

Next week's relevant fixtures:

Hull v Newcastle - Toon in freefall 1-0/1-1

Palace v Everton - Everton cant score either atm 1-0/0-0

Man U v Leicester - 1/2/3/4-0 sure thing

Stoke v QPR - 1/2/3-0 sure thing

Sunderland v Burnley - 2-1/2-2/1-2 winner goes above us

Arsenal v Villa how many?-0 no goals no points

The following week's fixtures:

Villa v Chelsea 0-how many? no goals no points

Leicester v Palace 0-2

City v Hull how many?-0

QPR v Southampton 0-2

Swansea v Sunderland  2-1/2-2/1-2 S'land go above us?

Burnley v WBA 2-1/2-2/1-2 Burnley go above us?

Villa 0 points, Hull 1/3 points, Sunderland 0-6 points, Burnley 0-6 points, Leicester 0 points, QPR 0 points) the table would look like:

15. Villa 22 pts

16. Sunderland 20-26 pts/Villa 22 pts

17. Burnley 20-26 pts/Villa 22 pts

18. Hull  19-22 pts/Villa 22 pts

19. QPR  19 pts

20. Leicester 17 pts - gone

Edited by Grasshopper

This the bottom of the table after 22 games from last year

13 West Bromwich Albion  22 4 10 8 24 29 -5 22
14 Stoke City  22 5 7 10 22 36 -14 22
15 Swansea City   22 5 6 11 27 33 -6 21
16 Crystal Palace 22 6 2 14 14 31-17 20
17 Fulham  22 6 1 15 22 48 -26 19
18 West Ham United  22 4 6 12 22 33 -11 18
19 Sunderland  22 4 6 12 21 36 -15 18
20 Cardiff  22 4 6 12 17 38 -21 18

It just goes to show how quickly things can change.

This the bottom of the table after 22 games from last year

13 West Bromwich Albion 22 4 10 8 24 29 -5 22

14 Stoke City 22 5 7 10 22 36 -14 22

15 Swansea City 22 5 6 11 27 33 -6 21

16 Crystal Palace 22 6 2 14 14 31-17 20

17 Fulham 22 6 1 15 22 48 -26 19

18 West Ham United 22 4 6 12 22 33 -11 18

19 Sunderland 22 4 6 12 21 36 -15 18

20 Cardiff 22 4 6 12 17 38 -21 18

It just goes to show how quickly things can change.

Three years in charge and there has been no change.