Paul Lambert

limpid

Firstly, can I just say recently I've been questioning if Lambert was the right man at this time, where as all along I've kept faith in him that he would turn it around. I still wonder what he could do with a budget. However, it's not so much about results, I just wonder if he can ever produce the kind of football that will see us get where we need to be. I'm only 25 & there is people on here who'll have been watching us far longer than me, but definitely since Gregory (probably before that too but I was only a kid) left we've seemed to struggle against the smaller teams, not only in the league, but even in the cups. 

I kind of feel sorry for Lambert, to be honest anyone who would want the Villa job the last few years would have had to have been crazy, and fair play to him for risking his reputation at Norwich for this. Over the last two season Paul Lambert has managed 72 Premier League games, he's named 11 starting players 72 times, which is 792 player starts. Of these 792, 255 were players who came through the Villa academy, that's 32%.

People are saying he's worst than McLeish, people need to look what he had to work with.

McLeish's average starting XI: Given. Hutton, Collins, Dunne, Warnock. Gabby, Petrov Herd NZogbia. Bent Heskey. (2011/12) avg. cost per player about £4m-£5m

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. Bannan, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2012/13) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m 

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. El Ahmadi, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2013/14) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

I think above anything else Lambert deserves our support for these last 4 games.

Two points occur to me from this.

First, Lambert is probably a bit better than McLeish but that isn't saying a lot, is it?

Secondly, the team needs our support - they are the ones who have to get the 1 or 2 points needed to ensure we stay up. Whether we "support" the current manager or not will be irrelevant.

So, cheer for the team.

If we get money Lambert should not be the one to spend it

Why? Lambert is a huge reason why we may now have cash to spend this summer.

How did you work that one out?

Firstly, can I just say recently I've been questioning if Lambert was the right man at this time, where as all along I've kept faith in him that he would turn it around. I still wonder what he could do with a budget. However, it's not so much about results, I just wonder if he can ever produce the kind of football that will see us get where we need to be. I'm only 25 & there is people on here who'll have been watching us far longer than me, but definitely since Gregory (probably before that too but I was only a kid) left we've seemed to struggle against the smaller teams, not only in the league, but even in the cups.

I kind of feel sorry for Lambert, to be honest anyone who would want the Villa job the last few years would have had to have been crazy, and fair play to him for risking his reputation at Norwich for this. Over the last two season Paul Lambert has managed 72 Premier League games, he's named 11 starting players 72 times, which is 792 player starts. Of these 792, 255 were players who came through the Villa academy, that's 32%.

People are saying he's worst than McLeish, people need to look what he had to work with.

McLeish's average starting XI: Given. Hutton, Collins, Dunne, Warnock. Gabby, Petrov Herd NZogbia. Bent Heskey. (2011/12) avg. cost per player about £4m-£5m

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Lowton, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. Bannan, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2012/13) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. El Ahmadi, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2013/14) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

I think above anything else Lambert deserves our support for these last 4 games.

But Given, Hutton, Bent and Nzog are still on the books of the club. Last season they all could have been utilised more by Lambert (not saying some would've improved the team) and this would've put Lamberts average higher. He choose not to utilise those players.

• Like 1

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. El Ahmadi, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2013/14) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

Yes, i agree, Lambert has had to deal with financial constraints, but what has let him down in my opinion is some of his own decisions. Albrighton starts a few weeks ago, and everyone was saying how well he played and must stay in the team. So what does he do? Yes,he drops him. Then he will wait until 80 minutes to put on a sub when it is far too late. Also some of his tactics have been dire. I really want Lambert to succeed, but alot of his downfall is down to himself.

• Like 1

Lambert's average starting XI: Guzan. Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark. El Ahmadi, Westwod, Delph. Gabby, Benteke, Weimann. (2013/14) avg. cost per player about £1.5m-£2m

But Given, Hutton, Bent and Nzog are still on the books of the club. Last season they all could have been utilised more by Lambert (not saying some would've improved the team) and this would've put Lamberts average higher. He choose not to utilise those players.

The difference is, that 3 of the 4 were signed by McLeish.

Except when he's in the shite and calls Given to ask for help because his mates have been made scapegoats for Lamberts own failures? Remember our wages INCREASED last year adding to our losses. He had the bright idea to treat them without any respect and basically told every club out there that they were worth nothing. Genius bit of business there Lambo!

• Like 1

First, Lambert is probably a bit better than McLeish but that isn't saying a lot, is it?

Secondly, the team needs our support - they are the ones who have to get the 1 or 2 points needed to ensure we stay up. Whether we "support" the current manager or not will be irrelevant.

So, cheer for the team.

I find this, just like Faulkners outburst the other week, really patronising to Villa fans. The fans have have supported the team over the last 4 years through thick and thin, and have been mostly served up a shower of shit from the team. You talk as if the supporters havent really bothered to turn up this year and we need them now? They have and always will be there, its upto the team to do their side of the bargain for a change.

I just think he deserves a chance under a new owner with money.  Especially if he knew at outset that this was the plan and he would have to keep us up on a shoestring budget and not play our more experienced players.  Who knows what deal RL and PL have between them.

I would probably reassess in January 2015.  Not a great deal of time but enough to see if he can do the job.

• Like 1

...Lambert has had to deal with financial constraints, but what has let him down in my opinion is some of his own decisions. Albrighton starts a few weeks ago, and everyone was saying how well he played and must stay in the team. So what does he do? Yes,he drops him. Then he will wait until 80 minutes to put on a sub when it is far too late. Also some of his tactics have been dire. I really want Lambert to succeed, but alot of his downfall is down to himself.

I think that's fair. he has got a really hard job, yet it has exposed many shortcomings in his own judgement around the games. No one will get it right all the time, and given his hard task, and the injuries, it's reasonable to give him a deal of understanding, time, patience and so on, and I think we more than did that, as a fanbase. But over the two years, the home record and the poor ball retention and single style of play, hasn't improved, if anything it's got worse. Not all of that is his fault, but as the manager I don't really feel he's had a positive overall effect in that regard.

What he has done and been part of is the reshaping of the squad, the movement towards a better balanced wage-bill to income ration, on a relatively small sum of net spend compared to the opposition.

I don't really go with comparisons with Pulis or whoever, as his effect has been over 6 months or so, not 2 years. There's every chance he'll carry it on, or that Palace will fall away again - it's too soon to tell. Look at Swansea - gone from superb to strugglers. Hull might do the same. But anyway, back to Villa, where's the progress?

There's almost no-one who thinks the club, judged against a kind of percieved status as maybe a top 8 club, is performing in line with what it should be. And that included Lambert himself. If we judge on all the things we've discussed, like low feees, quality of squad, circumstances etc. then there's again a minority who feel he's really demonstrated good skills and ability. He'll be lucky if he keeps his job. Perhaps he desrves some luck, as he's had none this season.

...The fans have have supported the team over the last 4 years through thick and thin, and have been mostly served up a shower of shit from the team. You talk as if the supporters havent really bothered to turn up this year and we need them now? They have and always will be there, its upto the team to do their side of the bargain for a change.

I think the fans have turned up more than can be reasonably expected. The team hasn't. I also think that it's not likely to be the case next season. ALthough our money now makes up a smallish percentage of income, it's still something that is taken into account, and it's likely that if there is change, things like concern over season ticket renewals and empty seats will be a significant factor in that change.

I just think he deserves a chance under a new owner with money. Especially if he knew at outset that this was the plan and he would have to keep us up on a shoestring budget and not play our more experienced players. Who knows what deal RL and PL have between them.

I would probably reassess in January 2015. Not a great deal of time but enough to see if he can do the job.

I just can't see how these two years means he deserves anything but the sack. There's a very good chance we will get less points than McLeish did. Not sure how they deserves a chance.

• Like 3

The average cost per player doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things at Villa.

Just because McLeish's squad cost more doesn't make them significantly better and it certainly didn't make McLeish a better manager than he was at SHA.

Both managers are poor and both squads were/are poor.

You've missed the point, if Lambert had been able to field a team worth the same as McLeish then its likely we'd see better results. Obviously a more expensive team doesn't automatically mean that but when Lambert's spent more he's spent well.

I just think he deserves a chance under a new owner with money. Especially if he knew at outset that this was the plan and he would have to keep us up on a shoestring budget and not play our more experienced players. Who knows what deal RL and PL have between them.

I would probably reassess in January 2015. Not a great deal of time but enough to see if he can do the job.

I just can't see how these two years means he deserves anything but the sack. There's a very good chance we will get less points than McLeish did. Not sure how they deserves a chance.

I am sure if you looked at McLeish's reign there are plenty of excuses we could use to justify not sacking him similar to Lambert but it was still right to sack him.

Like Moyes at Man U some jobs are just too big for some people and we are a step too far for Lambert capabilities.

I cant believe that folk still think Lambert is a good Manager for Villa just look at the stats, if we have new owners then he needs to go, If Randy Stays the likelihood is he will get another season or part of it under the same parameters we have in place now, that would be grim indeed plus he would need new backroom staff. I am not saying that Paul does not care or try his best but it clearly isn't good enough as two years of relegation battles under his tenure proves it. Also the style of football is awful in particular at Villa Park,

I do respect peoples opinion and if they like PL and want him to carry on then fair enough.

Edited by Moorski
  • Like 1

The average cost per player doesn't make any difference in the grand scheme of things at Villa.

Just because McLeish's squad cost more doesn't make them significantly better and it certainly didn't make McLeish a better manager than he was at SHA.

You've missed the point, if Lambert had been able to field a team worth the same as McLeish then its likely we'd see better results. Obviously a more expensive team doesn't automatically mean that but when Lambert's spent more he's spent well.

I don't think I 'missed the point' as you put it as that point was not made. I thought it read as a straight comparison between two managers and the average value of their players. Do you read things that are not there?

I just can't see how these two years means he deserves anything but the sack. There's a very good chance we will get less points than McLeish did. Not sure how they deserves a chan

If the 'Grand Plan' was to finish with less points (and possibly no higher up the league) in year 2 as he did in year 1 then I accept that he is well on course to succeed. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that he was supposed to do better in year 2 in which case he has failed miserably and deserves the sack.

• Like 2

I think you've missed some points. As I Pointed out earlier, Nzog, Bent, Given and Hutton are still on the wage bill, they could have been utilised last yr which would have put Lambert's average team value up.

I think you've missed some points. As I Pointed out earlier, Nzog, Bent, Given and Hutton are still on the wage bill, they could have been utilised last yr which would have put Lambert's average team value up.

Last year or last season?

So, cheer for the team.

I find this, just like Faulkners outburst the other week, really patronising to Villa fans. The fans have have supported the team over the last 4 years through thick and thin, and have been mostly served up a shower of shit from the team. You talk as if the supporters havent really bothered to turn up this year and we need them now? They have and always will be there, its upto the team to do their side of the bargain for a change.

OK, well I will receive that comment as evidence that I have totally failed to express well the point I was trying to make! 

I certainly wasn't intending to echo Paul Faulkner. In fact, I want him, his boss Mr Lerner, and his gofer Mr Lambert out of the club asap because I think they have let the club - and in particular its fans - down badly. Hopefully that will all change this summer.

So what was I trying to say?

I was picking up on the bolded comment, that "above anything else Lambert deserves our support for these last 4 games"

Well, I don't think that, ABOVE ANYTHING ELSE, Lambert deserves our support. In fact, I don't think he deserves our support at all. He has failed us and he deserves to go. But we probably do need to get a couple of points to stumble to safety, so we do need to help the team - however lacking we think the squad is - to get those points. 

That's all I was saying. Nothing will come of "supporting Lambert", and he hasn't deserved it.

I'm sure the away support will be magnificent at Swansea, as they have been all season. The fans have turned up to every match, home and away, in very impressive numbers, far more impressive than either the team or the manager have deserved in almost all performances this season, and mostly they have supported the team beyond what is reasonable given the rubbish that has been served up on the pitch. So I'm sure they will be cheering the team on as ever tomorrow. I just don't think anyone should take that as backing for Lambert. I think most fans want him gone, and Lerner and Faulkner.

I hope I've been more clear this time!

Â