Paul Lambert

limpid

Lambert needs more time to develop the club. Having one manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward. We cannot afford to keep sacking managers every season because of poor form, we do not have the resources to be able to run the club in that fashion. 

I agree. The money that would be spent changing in manager (paying off current staff and employing new ones) could be better spent supporting the one we have in my view. What we really don't need is yet another manager coming in and starting all over again especially given how little money seems to be available.

• Like 1

Lambert needs more time to develop the club. Having one manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward. We cannot afford to keep sacking managers every season because of poor form, we do not have the resources to be able to run the club in that fashion. 

NO.  No, no, no, no.  Having a GOOD manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward.  In my opinion, Lambert isn't a good manager. 

• Like 3

Based on the last 4 and the last 2 under lambert it wouldn't be ridiculous to suggest a similar one, the evidence is there. Fairplay to anyone who is optimistic at this point though.

He's had a massive rebuilding job and he's been restricted financially. If some of those restrictions are relaxed then who knows what might happen.

I never even mentioned being optimistic - I just said you can't claim to know what will happen in the future. Why does everything have to be black and white?

Because its villa? Its usually that way. Again im not claiming to know what will happen as a fact it was just a saying suggesting we know whats likely coming. Easing of financial restrictions wont suddenly make an average manager a good one either and thats even if they are lifted.

If we have another season like this one next season it won't be "because we're Villa" it will most likely be because the financial restrictions are still in place.

• Like 1

NO.  No, no, no, no.  Having a GOOD manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward.  In my opinion, Lambert isn't a good manager. 

Who would you like?

• Like 3

Who would you like?

Well it doesn't really matter who he would like because Lambert isn't going anywhere. In my opinion Lambert is a good manager, that is also the opinion of Faulkner and Lerner, our players and many of our fans, hence why he is getting a new contract.

He has made mistakes, he isn't the world's best manager, but so far he is doing okay. I will leave my judgment of this season till the end of it, as I have said all along, but constantly moaning and calling for his head is incredibly pointless because it is not going to happen.

• Like 2

Well it doesn't really matter who he would like because Lambert isn't going anywhere. In my opinion Lambert is a good manager, that is also the opinion of Faulkner and Lerner, our players and many of our fans, hence why he is getting a new contract.

He has made mistakes, he isn't the world's best manager, but so far he is doing okay. I will leave my judgment of this season till the end of it, as I have said all along, but constantly moaning and calling for his head is incredibly pointless because it is not going to happen.

I agree with you on almost all of this.

But if people are saying he should be replaced, I personally would like to hear who they would like him replaced with.

I agree with you on almost all of this.

But if people are saying he should be replaced, I personally would like to hear who they would like him replaced with.

Better yet, who would genuinely do a better job? As in, who would have us any higher in the league than we are already?

You'll probably get the usual answer: "Well it isn't my job to sign a manager is it" 

It is, however, their job to sack them :)

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 4

I'm a bit confused by this. Lambert's job is to develop the team, and, more importantly, try to set them up each game to compete as effectively as possible. He clearly isn't doing that very well at the moment - the variation in focus, morale and determination of our players from match to match is alarming in my view.

Whether staying in the job for a long time will make him any better at this is open to question, but I don't see any automatic relationship between staying in a job a long time and getting better at it.

I don't see it as Lambert's role to develop the club, Isn't that more for the board and the Chief Executive? This sort of reminds me of a comment that HairyHands made some time ago about how Lambert saw Villa as a sleeping giant and wanted to "awaken" us. This is a lofty ambition but I'd rather he concentrated in getting better as a manager and getting the team to put in a decent performance each game. Any talk about developing the club should be binned.

• Like 1

I have given up on caring who is in charge, this idiot's as bad as the last one with his boring tactic's however without serious money we will continue to be one of the league's whipping boy's.

For us to continue to be something we would first have to have been it to begin with. Villa are nothing close to being one of the league whipping boys

• Like 1

If anybody thinks there is a chance Lerner will spend big in the summer then they really are deluding themselves IMO

Nobody is expecting us to spend big though, just to spend the same amount on fewer player, meaning bigger individual buys, but less players in. Instead of £20m on 7 players, people are expecting £20m on 3 and any change on a prospect

Who would you like?

A progressive European manager.  Somebody like Lucien Favre.

*awaits usual dismissive replies*

• Like 3

If anybody thinks there is a chance Lerner will spend big in the summer then they really are deluding themselves IMO

Nobody is expecting us to spend big though, just to spend the same amount on fewer player, meaning bigger individual buys, but less players in. Instead of £20m on 7 players, people are expecting £20m on 3 and any change on a prospect

Some have mentioned a potential spending spree once's they books are balanced.

If it's 20 million given each year and fans feel that is sufficient to progress in this league then I guess Lerner is a decent owner after all.

Some have mentioned a potential spending spree once's they books are balanced.

If it's 20 million given each year and fans feel that is sufficient to progress in this league then I guess Lerner is a decent owner after all.

Spending any more would have us in trouble on the domestic ffp rules potentially. I'm happy to have us spending only what we can afford to be honest, however that turns out

Who would you like?

A progressive European manager.  Somebody like Lucien Favre.

*awaits usual dismissive replies*

Favre is a good manager, although he is currently challenging for European football and just signed a new contract with Monchengladbach the other day.

That isn't me being dismissive, but realistically a manager 'like' Favre isn't going to be coming to Aston Villa any time soon.

• Like 1

I would like lambert a whole lot more if he managed to train our defence to do the basics

I know he is working with Brain dead morons like Clark and Baker but you defend from the front

And our whole starting eleven just gets waltzed through every single match

I thought lambert was quite a tough hard man midfielder but he's built a team of pussies

Edited by sonic_bouma

Â