Paul Lambert

limpid

Guys I'm pretty sure FFP only applies if you are in Europe. Yet I keep seeing it mentioned to justify the clubs spending.

Happy to be corrected here....

Edit : suttonpaul kindly explained this in another thread.

Edited by Amo69

Lambert needs more time to develop the club. Having one manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward. We cannot afford to keep sacking managers every season because of poor form, we do not have the resources to be able to run the club in that fashion.

Newcastle thought the same when they awarded Alan Pardew an eight-year contract. Stability for stability's sake it a futile exercise.

Well look it up, Premiership to league two is covered under FFP

Pardew has done an alright job too considering where he started.

Yeah considering the shit he's had to put up with above him he's done remarkably well. They stuck with him last year through a poor season. Ok he goes a bit mental sometimes but I don't see how picking him as an example proves a point against stability when they're safely top 8 and most of the bottom 6 have sacked their manager this season.

But FFP is pretty irrelevant to the club's spending policy really. It may have been an excuse wheeled out in the early days of the spending cuts, but by now it's pretty clear that RL doesn't have the cash to exceed the FFP limits even if he wanted to.

Personally I'd rather Aston Villa didn't qualify for the Europey cup: A million extra games to play, and if the manager fields anything other than the strongest squad in every one there's a fan meltdown like the one after MON's famous retreat from Moscow in 1812.

Lambert needs more time to develop the club. Having one manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward. We cannot afford to keep sacking managers every season because of poor form, we do not have the resources to be able to run the club in that fashion. 

NO.  No, no, no, no.  Having a GOOD manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward.  In my opinion, Lambert isn't a good manager. 

According to you all he signs is "lower league dross". Yet this "lower league dross" has been mid table pretty much all season.

If the players are so bad then surely Lambert must be a good manager to keep them mid table.

If FFP is irrelevant why have all the clubs been working towards it for years?

Will FFP be irrelevant when we get points deducted?

Also what is the point in exceeding the total 45m overspend over the period of  3 years if you aren't getting into Europe anyway?

People really need to think.

• Like 1

Ok is if fair to say we can't compete with the current top 7 teams financially? (With the exception of Everton who already have a good team).

So that leaves an almost in mini league of 13 which we are currently 5th. So really the aim for each season is to stay out of the bottom 3 and hope we can get a good cup run.

Staying up is the definition of success I'm afraid guys. Anything else is a bonus.

NO.  No, no, no, no.  Having a GOOD manager in charge for a substantial amount of time is the ONLY way forward.  In my opinion, Lambert isn't a good manager. 

According to you all he signs is "lower league dross". Yet this "lower league dross" has been mid table pretty much all season.

If the players are so bad then surely Lambert must be a good manager to keep them mid table.

No.  For a start we haven't been mid-table all season at all.  Secondly, the football is horrific.  The defence is still shite, and so are the forwards. 

So if all of those things are as bad as you say, then why aren't we miles adrift at the bottom?

And we haven't been mid table all year? Erm, yes we have. Unless you have a warped perception of what 'mid table' consists of.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 4

No.  For a start we haven't been mid-table all season at all.  Secondly, the football is horrific.  The defence is still shite, and so are the forwards. 

Where in the league do you think we should be?

Christ, whoever was talking about "lowered expectations" was right.  There was a time when getting battered 4-1 two games running would be enough to get people rightly pissed off with the boss.  Instead these days we get the usual limp defences of Lambert.

• Like 1

Christ, whoever was talking about "lowered expectations" was right.  There was a time when getting battered 4-1 two games running would be enough to get people rightly pissed off with the boss.  Instead these days we get the usual limp defences of Lambert.

You didn't answer my question. Rather dodge it with some nonsense about expectations.

• Like 1

Nobody is defending anything, or even mentioned the last two games. Or are the last two games the entirety of our season?

Where do you think we should be in the league?

I'm starting to think a select bunch of people are unsure of what they want to be honest, apart from wanting Lambert out that is. We've been good this season, we've been bad this season. If we could perform consistently well then we'd much higher up the table and Lambert would be labeled as a magician for doing so with a squad that cost so little in such a short space of time. Unfortunately, Lambert isn't a magician, so mid-table is probably a very realistic target in his second season with us.

I've said from the outset, I'd be personally happy with us keeping away from the relegation zone and hopefully pushing up towards the middle of the table. So far that is what has happened but again, there isn't much point in calling a season good or bad until it is finished. If get dragged down into the fight then I'll say it is bad, if we continue to stay away from it and achieve 12th position upwards then I'll say it has been good.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Yea no one has said anything about being happy about the last two games, some people however only really care about where the club is going and look forward over a season or two.

It's that simple.

We can win 2 games 1- 0 and lose the rest of them 4-1 and I will be pleased as we will be staying up, mid table and we will have the summer to spend our usual budget on 2-4 players rather than 7 or 8 i.e. first team quality players to improve the team.

Asked at the start of the season what I wanted...... That was it.

• Like 2

Â