Paul Lambert

limpid

while you've still got an ounce of self-respect left, resign. If you don't, you deserve all of the stick and more that's going to be heading your way.

Tantamount to bully boy tactics right there

Yet I don't seem to recall the same level of condemnation when it was directed at the likes of O'Leary, Houllier and McLeish.

Where's the outrage? :o

while you've still got an ounce of self-respect left, resign. If you don't, you deserve all of the stick and more that's going to be heading your way.

Yet I don't seem to recall the same level of outrage when it was directed at the likes of O'Leary, Houllier and McLeish.

Where's the outrage? :o

Edit:  Strange, your edit seemed to have messed everything up :D.  Even so, not really much condemnation/outrage at all.  Lambert is a completely different kettle of fish to McLeish/O'Leary who actively went against the fans, in one way or another.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

I think we should be 12th 10th because the likes of Benteke, Vlaar, Delph, Sanchez, Okore and Guzan are good players and that spine is no worse than a number of clubs and capable of far, far more.

Lambert has been restricted in what he can spend, as have Swansea, an significantly smaller club, yet we can't compete on the pitch with them.

It also doesn't explain away Lambert tactical inefficiencies. How do we play? What is our means of breaking a side down? Why has there been no improvement in two and half years in style of play or quality of football? We have gone from ineffective lumping to ineffective square passing. It's nowhere near good enough and that is down to the manager that is clearly out they're depth.

What are they good players based on?  Benteke has scored goals (for the same manager) in one season - next to sod all else.  Delph has played for Villa and produced next to nothing.  Sanchez wasn't even heard of until the World Cup; same as Vlaar really (a Dutch guy I know ridicules him from his time in Holland; I've always said he's wrong).  Okore has this season come back from a bad injury - having previously played in Denmark.  Guzan now looks a good keeper... one that was released by Aston Villa.

In short, there's absolutely no basis for this "we should be at least 10th/12th" message that people are saying.  None at all.  None of these players have achieved this in the Premier League.  None.  I just don't understand where people are getting this "should be at least 10th" stuff from.

I think the time has come for Lambert to go, but some of the chat on here is as if we're bottom of the Premier League by a significant margin with no hope of getting out.  We haven't been in the relegation zone all season - and unless Hull beat Man City away, we won't be in there having played Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool twice.  If we don't see an upturn at all by the end of March then I'll join in with this panic.  Until then, though....?

Hilarious that people think there is "no harm" in protesting and creating an even more toxic atmosphere by the way.  How can that even be the case?

Guzan, Delph, Vlaar, Okore, and Benteke are good players, they would not be a part of their respective international setups if they weren't, and they wouldn't be linked with the likes of United, Liverpool etc either. You don't have to 'achieve' something in the Premier League to be classed as a good player, Cleverley, Joe Cole, and Richardson all have Premier League winners medals, yet shouldn't be anywhere near our starting XI. The issue that we currently have is getting the best out of these players, and that lies completely with Lambert.

I do agree with the 'panic' sentiment though. We are not in the relegation zone, and despite our woes in front of goal, we have the 9th best defence in the league despite the Arsenal result. We need 6 wins from our remaining 15 games and we have to play the teams currently sitting from 14th-20th again. If we are in the relegation zone after QPR on 18th April, then I'll panic....

Yet I don't seem to recall the same level of condemnation when it was directed at the likes of O'Leary, Houllier and McLeish.

Yet I dont seem to recall anyone ever saying to those managers 'go now or we'll hound you until you do and you'll deserve it' which is the sentiment at least of the post quoted.

Can you show me those posts directed at the three managers you have mentioned?

The Hull result and performance is key for me, if we get turned over over there without scoring that will be just unbearable!

If we go to Hull and lose without scoring then I think even I might be forced to add my voice to the Lambert out chorus. You just know they've already got that one circled on their calendar as an absolute must-win. Should be a humdinger because no doubt we have too.

Can 0-0s ever really be described as a humdinger?! ;)

0-0 will probably be seen as a good result, unfortunately.

while you've still got an ounce of self-respect left, resign.  If you don't, you deserve all of the stick and more that's going to be heading your way.

I don't see it like that.

He has actually had another option, improve and put out a side worthy of Aston Villa. He has consistently failed to do that and we look as bad as ever this season, despite him having the best squad he has ever had.

It deserves repeating time and again; 19 games; 2 wins and 7 goals.

I am not sure how anybody can even begin to defend that.

• Like 3

while you've still got an ounce of self-respect left, resign.  If you don't, you deserve all of the stick and more that's going to be heading your way.

I don't see it like that.

He has actually had another option, improve and put out a side worthy of Aston Villa. He has consistently failed to do that and we look as bad as ever this season, despite him having the best squad he has ever had.

It deserves repeating time and again; 19 games; 2 wins and 7 goals.

I am not sure how anybody can even begin to defend that.

NO-ONE IS DEFENDING HIS RECORD OR CURRENT FORM.

• Like 2

Some may think this squad should be around 10th others may disagree.

But surely we all agree that there should have been some improvement. After his 3rd season in charge we really should be looking forward rather than going backwards and still worrying.

Yes, I think we all agree with this.

I, personally, disagree with the amount of crisis talk that is being mentioned, though. If we have a decent end of season, we once again finish lower-mid-table and there's a realistic chance that we have our best finish under Lambert this season. Bizarre.

We need 20 points from the next 15 games to beat his first seasons point total. I can't see that happening at the moment. It looks like another backwards record breaking season.

• Like 1

Edit: Strange, your edit seemed to have messed everything up :D. Even so, not really much condemnation/outrage at all. Lambert is a completely different kettle of fish to McLeish/O'Leary who actively went against the fans, in one way or another.

Yeah, outrage was too strong a word. When did McLeish 'actively go against the fans' out of interest?

Yet I dont seem to recall anyone ever saying to those managers 'go now or we'll hound you until you do and you'll deserve it' which is the sentiment at least of the post quoted.

The fact is the said managers were 'hounded out' and there was scant opposition to this on the forums, especially regarding O'Leary and McLeish. Nor should there have been - fans turn on unpopular managers, it's a natural process. For some reason the usual customs do not apply to Paul Lambert though.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

Some may think this squad should be around 10th others may disagree.

But surely we all agree that there should have been some improvement. After his 3rd season in charge we really should be looking forward rather than going backwards and still worrying.

Yes, I think we all agree with this.

I, personally, disagree with the amount of crisis talk that is being mentioned, though. If we have a decent end of season, we once again finish lower-mid-table and there's a realistic chance that we have our best finish under Lambert this season. Bizarre.

We need 20 points from the next 15 games to beat his first seasons point total. I can't see that happening at the moment. It looks like another backwards record breaking season.

Yes, Lambert's idea of progress is clearly different to that of normal people. Every season he delivers worse than the last. 

Edit: Strange, your edit seemed to have messed everything up :D. Even so, not really much condemnation/outrage at all. Lambert is a completely different kettle of fish to McLeish/O'Leary who actively went against the fans, in one way or another.

Yeah, outrage was too strong a word. When did McLeish 'actively go against the fans' out of interest?

r.e: McLeish - from Day One.  Not his fault, of course, but he was never wanted.  We can try and play the moral highground of "honest guv, it's not because he was a Blue and took them down" but it is exactly that.  He had no chance being a success at Villa.

Where you been? Sorry but OLeary and Mcleish had far more hatred thrown their way when they were in charge. If Lambert had half the stick Mcleish had he would've been gone ages ago. Making out people are bullying Lambert is as ridiculous as it gets.

Sorry but we don't all agree. This is unrealistic in my view and here's why. Going back to the Poundworld analogy from earlier. After Lambert's 1st season in charge of Villa he was shopping in Poundworld for precisely 1 season. Now after 3 years in charge he has now been shopping there for 3 years. So why should we expect an improvement after a further 2 years of being forced to water down a Premier League squad? It is not a given when you are replacing bigger wages with smaller wages that you will improve. In fact it will invariably and inevitably have the opposite effect. This is what brings me back to Lerner. It's also why, regardless of who is in charge, if we continue down this route then it is an inevitability that we will go down. It will not be the manager's fault no matter who that is, although no doubt whoever happens to be in charge at the time will get more than their fair share of flack. For me the buck will stop categorically at the chairman's door.

What your saying then is the manager has no bearing on the performances of the team only money does? Line up, formation, tactics, nothing matters because it's all about the money invested? Absolute nonsense! We've been played off the park many times in the last 3 years against teams that cost a fraction of our own so called "Poundland" squad.

The thing is it's probably a good 18 months since we had to water anything down. Only players to improve have been brought in - no ones really been sold. So what if were not spending 10,15 or 20mil on players. Is that reason to say the manager is never culpable? If that is the case why not just get rid anyway, after all it can't get any worse can it?

Edited by avfc1982am
  • Like 2

Sorry to say but no we don't all agree on this point. This is unrealistic in my view and here's why. Going back to the Poundworld analogy from earlier. After Lambert's 1st season in charge of Villa he was shopping in Poundworld for precisely 1 season. Now after 3 years in charge he has now been shopping there for 3 years. So why should we expect an improvement after a further 2 years of being forced to water down a Premier League squad? It is not a given when you are replacing bigger wages with smaller wages that you will improve. In fact it will invariably and inevitably have the opposite effect. This is what brings me back to Lerner. It's also why, regardless of who is in charge, if we continue down this route then it is an inevitability that we will go down. It will not be the manager's fault no matter who that is, although no doubt whoever happens to be in charge at the time will get more than their fair share of flack. For me the buck will stop categorically at the chairman's door.

Have we watered down the squad? For me its a better squad than his first year.

Also he's had 3 years to work with the players and implement his ideas and tactics.

If we don't expect to improve at all then what's the point in keeping him?

Paul lamberts appointment was asked for BY the fans, Live with your FM decision and stick by your man and hope our team can turn things around

Sound logic!

Just dont see how any protesting/booing is gonna help from here on in. Need to help the team has much as we can from now

• Like 1

Paul lamberts appointment was asked for BY the fans, Live with your FM decision and stick by your man and hope our team can turn things around

I didn't so don't generalise based on a couple of thousand fans at Carrow Road please. Even for those who did want him, they are allowed to change their minds if he has failed to meet their expactactions. By this notion, voters must stick with the same party for every election? Ridiculous logic either way.

Â