Paul Lambert

limpid

It's not an exact science but I don't think it needs to be.

As you allude to progression overall isn't shown - but surely after 2 and a half years there should be ;)

I don't disagree with that. I do think though that he probably realised the direct football had reached its limit and has decided to try a different option which probably means it'll stagnate a bit. Who knows, defence is bloody awesome though!  ;)

You forgot "teams stop scoring goals and allow weaker teams to catch up!"

If you are going to play you need to replace your customary !! with a  ;) please.

• Like 1

Yes, the defence is looking improved which is pleasing to see but that has been achieved to the detriment of the attack.

I wonder if we'll only know truly how good the defence is when we have a proper balance to the team.

I should hope that is the next stage, yes. I'm not naive enough to think that we will stay in this league on defence alone. We must start scoring. 

I should hope that is the next stage, yes. I'm not naive enough to think that we will stay in this league on defence alone. We must start scoring. 

Reassuring you think we need to score goals too ;)

Remember, its not black and white. I'm firmly in the grey. Slightly towards the white though  ;)

Reassuring you think we need to score goals too ;)

Remember, its not black and white. I'm firmly in the grey. Slightly towards the white though  ;)

Definately not in the Pink ;)

It's a means for comparison and considering Lambo has said it is his strongest squad he has I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that after 20 games (where we are now) that we would see an improvement in position, points and goal difference from last season.

Now the Holte have turned Lambo may have to up his managerial performance.

I thought the holte had turned before?

After 2 and a half years though? It's a pretty big change. A change that I think will take at least 2 or 3 months to be effective. A good change I agree but it just seems to have come out of the blue.

I think the change has been season long, but two stages.

First stage seemed to be to imrpove the defence, and then build from there by implementing a passing game.

Why he chose now to go from defensive counter attacking to possession, I don't know. My guess would be the favourable fixtures we've had recently. Maybe he felt it best to weather our hard run and then attack the passing?

Whether this has been his plan all along, who knows?

Well he certainly missjudged the timing.

Sun 7 16:00 H Leicester City PREM W 2-1

Sat 13 15:00 A West Bromwich Albion PREM L 1-0

Sat 20 15:00 H Manchester United PREM D 1-1

Fri 26 15:00 A Swansea City PREM L 1-0

Sun 28 15:00 H Sunderland PREM D 0-0 35,436

January 2015

Thu 1 15:00 H Crystal Palace PREM D 0-0 29,047

6pts

should have got 12pts

You kind of missed the point I think.

The point was it would be easier to implement a new style against "easier" opponents.

The points we got from those games were pretty much irrelevant to what I was talking about.

Possible

I missed your point

you mine

AVFC are missing the points

I didn't miss yours.

I recognise the point you're making.

It's just, as I said, largely irrelevant to what I was getting at.

If this new tactic is one that Lambert is hoping will win us games, then I suppose you could argue that he misjudged the timing Stevo.

Of those 6 games, Palace, Sunderland, Baggies and Leicester are all teams that are battling for survival, and will therefore be more inclined to park the bus and let us have the ball. Against Leicester the tactic worked, but against Baggies, Palace and Sunderland, it could be argued that it didn't work (of course, red cards played a part in this).

Arguably, our two best performances out of those 6 fixtures (note: performances, not results), were against Man Utd and Swansea, the two best teams our of that 'easy' run.

In hindsight, it might have actually been better for us to stick to a more direct approach for the easy games, and try this passing game against the teams that are directly above us, or are expected to be tougher fixtures (Southampton, Everton, West Ham, Newcastle etc).

• Like 1

But that's my point. If you're implementing a new style then you're probably not expecting it to "work" during the bedding in period. Or at least not work as well as it should.

It will take some bedding in. Is it better to go through that bedding in stage against lesser teams or the really good teams?
I'm not sure what the answer is.

If we'd try to implement it against teams like City and Chelsea would we have had the chance to get used to it and then implement it better against the lesser teams?
It's a valid argument. But I think there's just as much chance of it being impossible to implement that new style against a team like Chelsea and therefore we'd be in the same position against the easier teams anyway.

All I was saying is maybe Lambert looked at the fixtures and thought "well our fixtures are tough up until November/December. So let's get as much as we can out of the first few games playing as we are, and then if we're in a relatively "safe" position we'll worry about trying the new style when the fixtures are more forgiving"

I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, I'm just saying that MIGHT have been why it's "taken him so long" to change the style this season.

Maybe we could have picked up more points playing our old way in our recent fixtures. But then we'd still be playing the same way.

It's a catch 22 really isn't it. At some point you'll have to go through a bedding in process if you're implementing this new style.

Pre season would be ideal. But I suspect the goal was to sure up the defence first and foremost this season, and then build from there with the new system.

Again, I'm not really trying to justify the timing. Just explaining what I think might be the thought process behind it.

Saying we misjudged it because results weren't as good as they should be recently is all well and good. But if you're changing the way you play, you're almost guaranteed to get a period like that.

Edited by Stevo985

To those who keep saying we're 12th. Just curious, if we were say 14th/15th right now would your opinion be any different?

Position means nothing at this time of the year, I'll look at that come the end of the season. Where it really matters right now is points in the bag, and how many we are clear from those bottom spots...

To those who keep saying we're 12th. Just curious, if we were say 14th/15th right now would your opinion be any different?

Slightly different - we'd be lower in the table.  It would depend on the larger circumstances too (do we look in danger of being relegated etc etc).

Would yours be any different if we were, say, 9th/10th?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Yea but creating imaginary scenarios is way more fun Straggler, especially if it suits your argument!

Would you be happy if we were bottom of the Conference North and just lost 100-0 against Kiddy Harriers - I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T!!! #RAGE.

• Like 3

Yea but creating imaginary scenarios is way more fun Straggler, especially if it suits your argument!

Would you be happy if we were bottom of the Conference North and just lost 100-0 against Kiddy Harriers - I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T!!! #RAGE.

Oh man, If that happened i'd be so pissed off!

• Like 1

Nonsense, we would have secured a place in the record books and our name would live on for all time.

I'd be thrilled.

Slightly different - we'd be lower in the table. It would depend on the larger circumstances too (do we look in danger of being relegated etc etc).

Would yours be any different if we were, say, 9th/10th?

Yeah it probably would as we'd have picked up more points and more than likely scored more goals.

I wasn't creating a scenario to suit my argument. It was a pretty simple question, not having a go or arguing with anyone.

Â