Paul Lambert

limpid

What I find slightly odd is that sections of fans on Villa talk have bemoaned the turgid football of the last 4 managers, O'Neill included and yet when Lambert attempts to evolve our style of play he gets destroyed for it.

This is my main problem with the current negativity.

I'm not saying we should be positive, because things aren't great.

But possession football is what the fan base have been crying out for for years. We are now seemingly attempting to implement that and people are moaning.

I don't mind the moaning about the lack of goals. That's a legitimate concern. But it's seemingly now the same people who were moaning about our direct style of football are moaning about possession football.

You can't just flick a switch and go from one style to another flawlessly. it will take time. Hopefully we'll add goals, that is certainly the worry.

What ISN'T a worry, imo, is that our team are now starting to pass the ball around.

What improves though ? - do we get better at passing it sideways ? - where does that take us ?

If we begin to pass it faster, and get more confident of passing the ball out wide - then yes I would be prepared to give it more time. - However we don't seem to be trying to do that - the strategy seems to be to keep the ball and hope that a goalscoring chance presents itself.

Well yes, that's exactly it. 

You keep the ball and hope a chance presents itself rather than hoofing it to Benteke and hoping he does something.

That way if a chance doesn't present itself, you still have the ball. As opposed to constantly giving possession back to the opposition.

The problem is that our movement up front is poor and we lack any midfielders adept enough to make an incisive pass and create a chance. Not that we're passing it sideways. So a chance rarely presents itself.

Honestly, this passing it sideways talk is absurd. Go and watch Barcelona play, or Bayern Munich, or Spain. That's what they do for 90 minutes. They pass it around and keep it away from the opposition.

The difference, like I said, is that they then have the players to create a chance on the back of that possession.

Passing the ball is not the problem.

Well I don't watch CL football because that keep ball does nothing for me. I was brought up on Graydon, Morley, etc , I quite liked Downing and young going down the flanks in more recent times. - Ye pays yer money.......(or not !)

It has to be said though, that I'm not really supporting the possession football.

I do believe it's the best way to play the game, but I also believe that you should play to your team's strengths. There are plenty of examples of people playing what is perceived as good football and doing terribly (Mowbray's West Brom, Martinez' Wigan). I've always believed that good football is winning football, regardless of how you get there.

To get the best out of the team you play to your strengths.And I'm not sure that our strengths currently suit a possession based game (which would be backed up by current results).

I am, however, willing to concede that it could be a stepping stone to better performances and therefore results going forward.

The point I'm making is merely that "Passing it sideways" which has been put on some sort of pedestal as the biggest problem with the team at the moment is not a bad thing. In fact I'd argue it's a particularly good and necessary thing if you ever hope to implement a possession based approach.

Lambert is nothing like McLeish. I find the comparison absolutely ridiculous.

Just because you find it ridiculous, it doesn't mean others also do. Lambert's style of football has been pretty close to that of McLeish.

How does Lambert use just as many defenders? Do you mean a back 4? If so then most managers use that.

Hutton, Okore, Clarke, Cissokho, Sanchez, Cleverly, Bacuna. Add Guzan and that's 8 predominantly defensive players from 11.

And please, don't call Bacuna or Cleverly attacking.

How does Lambert use just as many defenders? Do you mean a back 4? If so then most managers use that.

Hutton, Okore, Clarke, Cissokho, Sanchez, Cleverly, Bacuna. Add Guzan and that's 8 predominantly defensive players from 11.

You are listing a keeper as a defensive player?!??!

Maybe you have a point, Lambert should play and attacking keeper like all the other teams!

Is that the only issue with his opinion?

I think most team actually play 6 (7 if you include the keeper) defensive players.

Also bacuna isn't a starter so can't really include him. So therefore what Lambert is doing isn't bad at all and nothing like McLeish who was happy to let the other team have the ball and hopefully nick something.

Just because you find it ridiculous, it doesn't mean others also do. Lambert's style of football has been pretty close to that of McLeish.

Maybe you have a point, Lambert should play and attacking keeper like all the other teams!

I think most team actually play 6 (7 if you include the keeper) defensive players.

Also bacuna isn't a starter so can't really include him. So therefore what Lambert is doing isn't bad at all and nothing like McLeish who was happy to let the other team have the ball and hopefully nick something.

Currently we aren't playing like McLeish, previously we were. People also forget McLeish had a lot of injuries, as well as losing Petrov. Something which is an excuse for Lambert (injuries). Edited by DK82

Currently we aren't playing like McLeish, previously we were. People also forget McLeish had a lot of injuries, as well as losing Petrov. Something which is an excuse for Lambert (injuries).

So now that Lambert has changed this why are people still using it as a stick to beat him with?

To be fair to the people who chanted Lambert Out, sitting watching us fail to score at home to Blackpool for 85 minutes after two consecutive goal-less home games would be frustrating to anyone.

Doesn't change the fact that calling for the manager's head is pretty stupid and mean when we're 12th in the league on a tiny budget and the man who's put 200 million pounds into the club clearly wants him to stay.

I'd say ignoring most facts and just looking at the league table at this moment is pretty stupid.

Bet you wouldn't be saying that if we were in the relegation zone but showing signs of improvement.

• Like 1

The change in style was necessary as we were very one dimensional. As mentioned above this is not going to see an overnight improvement as these things take time to come to fruition. The style will evolve over time with the addition of players who fit into the system and current players confidence in the style growing, our players currently are all high energy and have been used to playing long ball counter attacking football which is ok as a plan b but not a plan a. A lot of people on here have been talking about buying in a creative midfielder, which to be honest in our previous system he would probably have been a waste. If the rest of the team can't keep the ball, then a creative midfielder would not get enough of the ball to do anything with.

In my opinion the players most at threat of losing their places in the first team with this new system should be Gabby and Andi. Neither of those two have offered anywhere near enough of a goal threat, or much in the way of assists. Also both have a tendancy to lose the ball with bad control. We have clearly not scored enough and if we continue with this formation then those would be the two I would be looking to replace.

Wait what! Did I just see that Guzan, Sanchez, Cleverly and Bacuna were used in an argument as being defensive players. What? Seriously? I give up.

Yep. If I weren't on my phone I'd be posting a picture of the Fonz on his skii's right now and I don't mean Nathan.

... and he was constantly abused throughout his management, despite no preseason, player unrest (I'm looking at you, Dunne and Collins) and a big injury crisis.

Oooh, sounds like excuses to me!

Or have you lowered your expectations?

Not at all. They are definitely excuses. Much like the ones used in defense of Lambert. I remember using them at the time for Houllier, just as you use it now.

The difference? Lambert has had 2 more years but is no further along. In fact, I'd say he's still behind the changes Houllier made when he took over.

And he still doesn't have anywhere near the resources Houllier had financially or player wise so it's hardly surprising.

People seem to forget we were fairly sure under Houllier and our results improved in his absence.

He would though have been given a lot more time had his health not let him down.

When our results improved  we had the following team:

Friedel, Walker, Dunne, Collins, Young, Downing, Petrov, NRC, Delph, Young, Bent

That is a very good team. 

Very good team is an understatement. That is a top 8 team for me.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I also don’t get why trying to implement a new style should be lambasted, are we meant to turn in to Barca overnight?

How many years and the lauded Southampton & Swansea systems been worked on, more than the few months ours have.

Our defence has improved, remember the time we scored a few more but you had that horrible feeling every time the other side attacked they would score?

Not scoring now is obviously an issue, i doubt anyone is disputing that but it wont all just happen over night.

• Like 1

I also don’t get why trying to implement a new style should be lambasted, are we meant to turn in to Barca overnight?

How many years and the lauded Southampton & Swansea systems been worked on, more than the few months ours have.

Our defence has improved, remember the time we scored a few more but you had that horrible feeling every time the other side attacked they would score?

Not scoring now is obviously an issue, i doubt anyone is disputing that but it wont all just happen over night.

Not scoring will always be an issue, the movement of Gabby, Wiemann and Benteke is awful to say the least. Benteke is gets caught offside a lot and Wiemann and Gabby are possibly two of the least intelligent footballers you will ever come across and neither one of them could trap a bag of cement.. Id rather play with Nzogbia and Grealish either side of Benteke with Cole playing just behind.  

• Like 1

No problem with the change in style. Only why did it take so long to come into effect?

I would have like to seen this style from the very off this season. Gives us a preseason to work out the kinks. Instead, we had to wait for a record breaking losing run and a trip to Germany before it was considered.

• Like 1

Houllier had the players to play pass and move, also if you look at the team McLeish put out in his last game and what we have now, without that much spent

B6lOpiJCAAASc3X.png

Jesus Christ is that 7/10 outfield defenders I count in McLeish's final game?

Houllier had the players to play pass and move, also if you look at the team McLeish put out in his last game and what we have now, without that much spent

B6lOpiJCAAASc3X.png

Jesus Christ is that 7/10 outfield defenders I count in McLeish's final game?

And Given!!!

Â