Paul Lambert

limpid

Definitely. Entertaining football is massively subjective, winning isn't. I for instance am bored to tears watching Barcelona and Spain play, I much prefer the way teams like Dortmund and Ateltico Madrid play.

Exactly, football matches are by and large boring to watch. I can't watch any Premier League matches that aren't Villa without being in a bar.

Entertaining football to me, isn't passing the ball around for half an hour trying to be Barcelona. Entertaining football is end to end stuff where teams get shots on goal. But satisfaction comes from any and all wins, regardless of how they come. 

Entertaining football for this team this season is wins. 

against non 2013/14 top 6 teams we are

Played 9 Won 4 Draw 4 Lost 1 Goals 8 Conceded 6

Thats not bad form at all except the QPR debacle. If we add more in the Goals column then we are flying

More meaningless statistics and 'ifs'.

they are actual facts

• Like 2

Thats not bad form at all except the QPR debacle. If we add more in the Goals column then we are flying

they are actual facts

How many more facts are going to be put together by boring people studying record books? It has become an obsession.

they are actual facts

How many more facts are going to be put together by boring people studying record books? It has become an obsession.

what are you talking about?

they are actual facts

You'd be amazed, but each season the F.A. decides to have these factual things called "league tables".  They show things like wins, draws, losses, how many you score, how many you conceed etc.  After playing a set amount of games (for some reason, they choose 38 in the Premier League but 46 in the Championship - weird!) they add up points and decide who finishes where.  You can even compare home and away records or use other "tables" to see how you performed against certain teams.

It's utter madness!

• Like 3

they are actual facts

what are you talking about?

Reel them in.

Whole heap of stats reeled out in the last few weeks to show how bad we are with people relying on them at every opportunity.  Now we see some stats to say actually things arent that bad and stats are meaningless

• Like 2

Whole heap of stats reeled out in the last few weeks to show how bad we are with people relying on them at every opportunity. Now we see some stats to say actually things arent that bad and stats are meaningless

Fair comment. However, I believe what I see and we have been very poor except for a few exceptions. There are promising signs but what we have had to endure cannot be glossed over with numbers, apart from goals of course.

Whole heap of stats reeled out in the last few weeks to show how bad we are with people relying on them at every opportunity. Now we see some stats to say actually things arent that bad and stats are meaningless

Fair comment. However, I believe what I see and we have been very poor except for a few exceptions. There are promising signs but what we have had to endure cannot be glossed over with numbers, apart from goals of course.

Even if those numbers are facts? Whether you believe it with your own eyes or not is irrelevant because those stats actually happened.

Even if those numbers are facts? Whether you believe it with your own eyes or not is irrelevant because those stats actually happened.

I go to football to be entertained, not to wait until the next day to be told that a crap match was really good by someone who has had their head buried in Wikipedia.

• Like 1

they are actual facts

You'd be amazed, but each season the F.A. decides to have these factual things called "league tables". They show things like wins, draws, losses, how many you score, how many you conceed etc. After playing a set amount of games (for some reason, they choose 38 in the Premier League but 46 in the Championship - weird!) they add up points and decide who finishes where. You can even compare home and away records or use other "tables" to see how you performed against certain teams.

It's utter madness!

Straight from the H&V / VT smartarse response book.

I go to football to be entertained, not to wait until the next day to be told that a crap match was really good by someone who has had their head buried in Wikipedia.

Eh?

Smacks to me of "you can prove anything with facts"... They're hardly Con-esq random bullshit stats, they actually mean something. They're relevant to form, points on the board.

No they don't define or excuse "entertainment value", but that is a fairly abstract concept as already discussed. I was on a high for a couple of days after Sunday because of not only the result but the "entertainment value", a high I've not felt for a long time where the club is concerned. But I also accept that there is an end goal, points mean prizes. If we keep beating the teams around us we'll achieve that. That alone isn't enough for me under this manager anymore, but it is relevant.

• Like 4

I'm glad this forum isn't just a few people saying "that was shit" or "that was good" - it would be awful.

As patronising as you're being George, the people using the facts aren't using them for no reason, they're using them to re-enforce a point they're trying to make, which is what facts/statistics are for.  It also makes the place more interesting, some of the facts people dig up fascinate me.

And if you go to Villa to be entertained, you wouldn't have go up since MON's 2nd season, because since then, we've been a boring team to watch bar a handful of home matches. You're wasting your own money.

• Like 1

You don't think some fans are watching us play with negative tinted glasses at this stage? Outside of Villatalk and fans who are focused firmly on AVFC - people would consider it ludicrous to sack Lambert right now. Henry Winter (who's generally no fan of Villa) described us as playing with zest at the weekend and how us Villa fans had plenty to sing about.

The Guardian podcast noted a few weeks ago that other than Chelsea, West Ham, Southampton, and maybe Swansea or someone like that every club in the PL has fans calling for either the manager, the chairman, or both to go. Allardyce at the end of last season ids a prime example.

All of the jokes about Cristiano Ronaldo scoring more goals than Villa have had shots on target this year or whatever, are actually being reeled out for loads of clubs across Europe.

I'm glad this forum isn't just a few people saying "that was shit" or "that was good" - it would be awful.

As patronising as you're being George, the people using the facts aren't using them for no reason, they're using them to re-enforce a point they're trying to make, which is what facts/statistics are for. It also makes the place more interesting, some of the facts people dig up fascinate me.

And if you go to Villa to be entertained, you wouldn't have go up since MON's 2nd season, because since then, we've been a boring team to watch bar a handful of home matches. You're wasting your own money.

The football is only 90 mins of the day. We make our own entertainment for the rest of it.

Regarding us being boring since that point in O'Neill's tenure, it as a wonder that the home crowd have taken this long to pick that up; only recently dropping by around 10000.

Â