Paul Lambert

limpid

What's the point in belittling Leicester? They're a Premier League team who still need to be beaten. They turned over Man Utd 5-3 - sure, a blip, but shows that any team can be beaten on their day. We win (comfortably, may I add) and you still have to post "against the mighty Leicester yeah??". **** off.

There's no need for that bobzy. Also, though we had a lot of chances, I wouldn't say our win was 'comfortable' at all. Far from it, infact.

When we went down to ten men, many of the guys by me in the Upper Holte were geniunely worried that we might throw away a hard-earned win.

When you can't hold a civil discussion, then cuss someone out. A real touch of class.

• Like 1

2 wins against the 2 worst teams in the league impress nobody. I predict we're back in the bottom 5 in the coming months, i don't say we're going to get relegated, because there simply are worse teams, but we're never getting mid table under Lambert.

Have a day off. We just won. Streuth.

And I'm happy, I'm also realistic. To think we're going to finish mid table after wins against promoted sides is naive.

One mans realisim is another mans pessimism. Let's aim for reduced moaning while the team are doing well. If we do not solidify as lower mid table and slide back into the bottom 5 then I think quite a few will have had enough, myself included. 

But I think we're going to remain in the 9th-13th region for most of the season. Which I think we can all agree is a good season. 

• Like 1

What's the point in belittling Leicester? They're a Premier League team who still need to be beaten. They turned over Man Utd 5-3 - sure, a blip, but shows that any team can be beaten on their day. We win (comfortably, may I add) and you still have to post "against the mighty Leicester yeah??". **** off.

There's no need for that bobzy. Also, though we had a lot of chances, I wouldn't say our win was 'comfortable' at all. Far from it, infact.

When we went down to ten men, many of the guys by me in the Upper Holte were geniunely worried that we might throw away a hard-earned win.

No need for what?

Our win was comfortable in that Leicester actually didn't create anything of note.  In fact, a very good Nugent volley (and equally good save from Guzan) plus a Chris Wood effort that flashed wide were the only things I remember.  Could be wrong here, of course.

Pressure?  Sure - and given our knack of conceeding late goals, there were definitely some nerves.  Disappointing perhaps not to control more of the last 10 minutes given that Leicester were down to 10 men.

The fact that you admit there was pressure and nerves, surely means it wasn't comfortable? Well, that's not my idea of 'comfortable', anyway!

There was no need for the '*** off'.

• Like 2

a big test for me is when vlaar gets fit.if okore and clark are in this form then he should keep them in and not bottle it and play captain ron.

I think they deserve to keep their places, neither are injury prone and both are young. If they keep playing well they deserve to stay in the team. Esepcially if we are floating around mid table where there is not as much pressure.

I agree. Both have been excellent and it would send out totally the wrong message to not only them but any other player waiting for their chance if they were dropped. I think Lambert will stick with them and his decision should certainly be made even easier by the fact that Vlaar does not see his future being at Aston Villa.

Which is fair, if I were Vlaar I'd be looking to try get to play champions league football if at all possible. Jan or Bosman is when he'd go. 

January, February, March, April, May, June, Bosman, August, September, October, November, December.

Is that right?

• Like 2

We picked up 10 points from our first 4 games and people got carried away and then the s**t period came along (as it always does with Lambert). We have now picked up 9 points from our last 5 games (a poorer return figure) and people are starting to get carried away again. Let's just wait and see if the s**t period returns before creaming ourselves. If the last 5 games are the start of something beautiful then that's brilliant. We've been here before so I'll watch and wait.

I don't think anyone's really getting carried away that much are they? 

I asked a while back what it might make to change some of the people who wanted Lambert out opinions on him staying. That was mostly playing better football, winning games, making more chances. If we perform how we did against Leicester against the baggies and get a positive result having made a load of chances, then surely you'd have to say all of those things have started to happen.

So do the votes on the Yes part of the poll really want him to go now? really?

I also asked a couple of pages back would the people who want Lambert out still do so if we sat on 26 points before the Palace game on Jan 1st. Let's call it 25/26 points at the halfway stage, is that good enough? Or would you still want him out immediately?

Anyone who seriously answers the Question "Should Lambert be fired?" with a "Yes - we've had enough" right now is, for my money, not really thinking hard enough about what's best for us in our current position. Seriously sack him now? Surely that would not have a positive effect on our season?

I'm not getting carried away, I'm not saying we're going to be bothering the top 8, win 10 games on the bounce or anything daft, I'm just saying we should not be sacking Lambert now.

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 1

We picked up 10 points from our first 4 games and people got carried away and then the s**t period came along (as it always does with Lambert). We have now picked up 9 points from our last 5 games (a poorer return figure) and people are starting to get carried away again. Let's just wait and see if the s**t period returns before creaming ourselves. If the last 5 games are the start of something beautiful then that's brilliant. We've been here before so I'll watch and wait.

I asked a while back what it might make to change some of the people who wanted Lambert out opinions on him staying. That was mostly playing better football, winning games, making more chances. If we perform how we did against Leicester against the baggies and get a positive result having made a load of chances, then surely you'd have to say all of those things have started to happen.

I also asked a couple of pages back would the people who want Lambert out still do so if we sat on 26 points before the Palace game on Jan 1st. Let's call it 25/26 points at the halfway stage, is that good enough? Or would you still want him out immediately?

Anyone who seriously answers the Question "Should Lambert be fired?" with a "Yes - we've had enough" right now is, for my money, not really thinking hard enough about what's best for us in our current position. Seriously sack him now? Surely that would not have a positive effect on our season?

I'm not getting carried away, I'm not saying we're going to be bothering the top 8, win 10 games on the bounce or anything daft, I'm just saying we should not be sacking Lambert now.

I believe I have already given my reply to these questions (twice) but just in case you missed it I'll summarise below:

1. Win more than half our home games.

2. Finish at least 12th.

3. Play more entertaining football.

I believe I have already given my reply to these questions (twice) but just in case you missed it I'll summarise below:

2. Finish at least 12th.

So if 1 and 2 happen but 3 doesn't, he goes?

This is what Trent (somebody I assume who's opinion you respect) said regarding his position on the Clark thread:

I am and long have been of his biggest and most consistent critics, I've not changed my mind on him yet but he has improved dramatically in the last few games. If he keeps it up I may have to revise my view on him.

This is exactly where I - others sceptical of Lambert I'd imagine - would be at with Lambert as the priniciple is the same. It took a substantial period for the manager to lose my support and it would take an equally substantial period for him to regain it. A couple of victories doesn't constitute this I'm afraid. The suggestion that we'd suddenly u-turn on the basis of that is actually a bit insulting.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

2. Finish at least 12th.

So if 1 and 2 happen but 3 doesn't, he goes?

1 and 2 won't happen if 3 doesn't happen and you have witnessed that yourself already this season.

This is what Trent (somebody I assume who's opinion you respect) said regarding his position on the Clark thread:

I am and long have been of his biggest and most consistent critics, I've not changed my mind on him yet but he has improved dramatically in the last few games. If he keeps it up I may have to revise my view on him.

This is exactly where I - others sceptical of Lambert I'd imagine - would be at with Lambert as the priniciple is the same. It took a substantial period for the manager to lose my support and it would take an equally substantial period for him to regain it. A couple of victories doesn't constitute this I'm afraid. The suggestion that we'd suddenly u-turn on the basis of that is actually a bit insulting.

Not trying to insult anyone, the way the poll is worded, especially seeing as there's another option to stay judgement til Jan, suggests getting rid of him now. Canning him after 5 unbeaten games with us showing signs of progress is a bit suicidal in my view. Waiting until Jan might be a more sensible reflection of your position?

2. Finish at least 12th.

Ok, fair enough we might get there yet then.

What about the 25/26 points in Jan? That earn him a stay of execution till the summer?

2. Finish at least 12th.

Ok, fair enough we might get there yet then.

What about the 25/26 points in Jan? That earn him a stay of execution till the summer?

Unfortunately 25/26 points in January could easily be 25/26 points in May too so the answer to your question is no.

• Like 2

Not trying to insult anyone, the way the poll is worded, especially seeing as there's another option to stay judgement til Jan, suggests getting rid of him now. Canning him after 5 unbeaten games with us showing signs of progress is a bit suicidal in my view. Waiting until Jan might be a more sensible reflection of your position?

My faith in him as a manager is such, that it'll take him doing it over a season for me to even consider giving him another chance. My problem with him is that I have no belief that he possesses the capabilities to achieve anything in the long-term. I don't rate him as a coach, tactician or youth developer. Rather, I find him to be terribly retrograde and no more progressive than his predecessor or his spiritual mentor. So yeah, there is quite a lot that he'd need to improve on (over a long period) for me to hold any other position than wanting him gone with immediate effect.

• Like 3

What's interesting, is how the pattern of results can influence people's perception of performance as much as the culmination of the results themselves.

If you look at the table right now in isolation, then I don't think anybody can say he is doing a 'bad' job this season.

We are 11th and in terms of points, slap bang in the middle between relegation and Europe, pretty much the definition of 'mid table'. If we continue on the same pattern and the league is similar to the past 3 seasons, this will see us finish between where we are now and 9th.

Align that with most people's expectations at the start of the season and that would be bang on where most of us thought/expected we would be.

Had we had the exact same results so far this season, but spread more evenly across the 15 games, then I don't think he would have come in for anywhere near the level of stick that he has had (playing 'style' aside)

It really is a funny old game.

• Like 2

Â