Paul Lambert

limpid

Possession is quite the opposite actually, boring football.

Good lord, really?

So you think watching the ilk of Messi, Xavi and iniesta in their pomp is boring? Watching them run rings around Man united like they're not even there? Playing football like chess rather than than hit and hope is boring?

I can lump a ball aimlessly 80 yards. I want to see footballers who can do things I can't.

No wonder our national team has been so dreadful over the years.

You need to watch the season review when we finished second under Big Ron and the tell us if you think that football was boring. 

Messi, Xavi and Iniesta is a collective of supremely talented footballers considered to be among the best of their generation.  It's a crap example to give, quite frankly.

Possession just doesn't mean much anyway.  Our lack of shots is more of a concern.  Ath Madrid won La Liga last season despite having the worst possession stats in the top half of the table.  However, if you have someone like Diego Costa up top, you can get shots away.

Chelsea beat Everton 6-3 away from home earlier in the season despite having less than 40% possession.  However, they still played (and play) good, counter-attacking football.

We really need to step away from this obsession.  It's just so unimportant.

Edited by bobzy

I think you can make the argument that possession football can be exciting but it can also be boring. I find Spain incredibly boring to watch for example but I enjoy watching other possession-based teams.

This is a good point. It can be very boring simply passing the ball around the back. Like you, I hate watching Spain and was delighted when they exited the WC in the group stages.

That said - we are nowhere near being boring - we don't have enough of the ball yet. ;)

If possession football is boring then what do you class watching us trying to chase the opposition while they pass it round us for fun before scoring a couple of easy goals? Because that's been the way we play the last few years.

I don't really get the argument on here. Is there anyone who can say they don't want us to keep possession better and play better football? Surely everyone wants that, so why moan about those that expect those areas to improve?

• Like 1

If possession football is boring then what do you class watching us trying to chase the opposition while they pass it round us for fun before scoring a couple of easy goals? Because that's been the way we play the last few years.

I don't really get the argument on here. Is there anyone who can say they don't want us to keep possession better and play better football? Surely everyone wants that, so why moan about those that expect those areas to improve?

Of course everyone wants us to play better football.  The main problem isn't a lack of possession, though - it's what we do with the ball once we have it.

I'd rather see us break quickly and effectively than keep the ball for an extra 10% of the game; and I think most people would feel the same.

• Like 2

Of course everyone wants us to play better football.  The main problem isn't a lack of possession, though - it's what we do with the ball once we have it.

I'd rather see us break quickly and effectively than keep the ball for an extra 10% of the game; and I think most people would feel the same.

Maybe the point about possession hasn't t been made very well....some arguments against it are going to the extreme. Of course it's what you do with the ball, but that can be dependant on your first touch, which gives you a bit more time to deliver it with effect.....I' m not taking about keeping the ball unnecessarily, I' m talking about keeping it for long enough to max out the opportunity to deliver effectively

I think you can make the argument that possession football can be exciting but it can also be boring. I find Spain incredibly boring to watch for example but I enjoy watching other possession-based teams.

I am not necessarily criticising the spectacle as that is in the eye of the beholder. I am equally not arguing for unconditional possession. I am arguing for craft and guile on the ball.

Keeping the ball intelligently and releasing it when your colleagues have found a better position by moving off the ball lends itself to enhancing the defensive side of your game whilst simultaneously feeding the offensive side of your game.

My point is in many years of transfer activity and youth academy players maturing I havn't t seen much of an improvement in this area....irrespective of the manager in charge.

I am hopeful that with a return of Vlaar and Benteke to overall strengthen the team we may see this improve since cleverly, Delph and Westwood have formed a trio that may well see the improvement I have been looking for.

People arguing about possession in isolation. Its pointless.

Possession or lack of it on its own means nothing. Good or bad.

I don't think anyone has made the point about possession in isolation....its just what some have construed.

However, I still think lack of possession does mean something....it means you are struggling to be in the game.

To have no possession is almost impossible, but thats just playing with words.

The game is called football and the objective is to score more goals than your opponent....you can't do that without your fair/unfair share of the ball.

Of course. But some people in this thread seem to be arguing as if its the be all and end all.

I hope Villa get to a point where we are controlling games with more possession.

But I wouldn't take that option over winning games but having less possession.

People are talking here on both sides of the argument as if it's the only stat that matters.

Only nine clubs in the premier league had possession stats of over 50% in 13/14.

Of those nine, eight occupied the top nine places. The exception being Stoke.

That doesn't surprise me. I think it's obvious the more you control the ball the better you will do over a season.

The better players you have, the more you will control the ball. You don't even need to set up to play possession football.

This.

I reckon Poland fans are fuming over their 33% possession stat after beating Germany as well.  They should just play better football!

Only nine clubs in the premier league had possession stats of over 50% in 13/14.

That doesn't surprise me. I think it's obvious the more you control the ball the better you will do over a season.

I think it's obvious that if you're a good team, you have better players than others and will therefore see more of the ball.

correlation ≠ causation

You can argue that correlation is not necessarily or inextricably linked to causation, but to say there's no common ground? I don't agree.

• Like 1

The better players you have, the more you will control the ball. You don't even need to set up to play possession football.

This.

I reckon Poland fans are fuming over their 33% possession stat after beating Germany as well. They should just play better football!

I think it's obvious that if you're a good team, you have better players than others and will therefore see more of the ball.

I would imagine there's more to football management than just buying good players and picking 11 of them to play.

It's all about football philosophies at the end of the day and Lambert has never been a pass and move type manager more narrow direct counter attack

You can't play counter attack and possession football at the same time

Â