Paul Lambert

limpid

There is growing evidence, although by no means conclusive of course, that lambo is either unwilling or unable to alter, in a positive or threatening way, our pace, rhythm,or tactics in response to differing circumstances.

As I say, too early to be conclusive, but it is a legitimate area to cause the beginnings of worry. Each game so far has had different mitigating factors but as mourinho said our lack of any real reaction was a surprise to him.

On balance though I would still say the mitigating factors are enough to allay any fears, and maybe he really does think we need to hold the fort and no more until benteke returns.

We will see.

Only the chances of the 'real' Benteke returning to form this side of January is pretty slim.

There is growing evidence, although by no means conclusive of course, that lambo is either unwilling or unable to alter, in a positive or threatening way, our pace, rhythm,or tactics in response to differing circumstances.

As I say, too early to be conclusive, but it is a legitimate area to cause the beginnings of worry. Each game so far has had different mitigating factors but as mourinho said our lack of any real reaction was a surprise to him.

On balance though I would still say the mitigating factors are enough to allay any fears, and maybe he really does think we need to hold the fort and no more until benteke returns.

We will see.

Only the chances of the 'real' Benteke returning to form this side of January is pretty slim.

agreed, there is no plan B

today once they scored we may as well of ended the game there and then as there was no reaction.

Yep game over after 7th minute. You knew what was coming. Saying your happy in the manner I. Which we lost lambert is embarrassing only having one shot in target and just making it a training exercise for Chelsea.

At least give it a go ffs so you can say you tried. Sitting back against Chelsea is sucide tactic

• Like 1

Disappointing game and again lambert's failure to get the team to create chances is a worry - 4 goals in 6 games is shocking .

Just to add while I am here - I am the same eastie who used to post on TBAR - i do like this site and hope to use it more in future and just to clarify one thing for those who know me from there - there is no chance that I will ever want to return to TBAR so I would appreciate it if they deleted my account and moved on .

Sorry for that chaps, but I wanted to clear up any doubt - as for villa , we have more points than expected at this stage and look tighter defensively - let's hope benteke returning and an easier set of fixtures see us kick on from here .

Edited by Eastie

Disappointing game and again lambert's failure to get the team to create chances is a worry - 4 goals in 6 games is shocking.

3 of those games were against some the best teams in the world, one of which that we did score in resulted in a win.

I'm really not that fussed by the amount we have scored at this stage, but I am expecting this to be extended slightly after next week.

Edited by Tayls

I think we are lacking in creating chances still - benteke will put them away but will be give Hin the supply of chances he needs -for me a mid table finish would be a decent improvement and aside forum the top 7 then there's not a great deal between the rest.

We are certainly better off than I expected heading into October - plenty of positives so far .

I thought you was ok on TBAR Eastie.Another Villa site, quite friendly, very entertaining, no reason to dislike it tbh.

I like VillaTalk and TBAR, H&V are a bit up their own arse for my liking.

I've used all 3 over the years - there's plenty of room for several forums on the net - this place seems busier with more people around for chatting .

I'd have taken 3 points from the last 3 fixtures but the way we've played the last two is disappointing. I fully expect us to be easily beat next week. I just hope after that we see a change in the way we try to play.

Agreed, although we have missed Vlaar in those 2 games - he and senderos looked very solid together .

Lambert has shored things up at the back but needs to address the creativity -if you don't create chances you don't score goals .

It's not been pretty to watch apart from the opening hour v hull .

The loss against Arsenal was pathetic, because they didn't play well and we just lost concentration, which is the biggest sin against a better team.

Losing to Chelsea away is perfectly alright. Chelsea are one of the best teams in the world, Arsenal and Liverpool far, far from it, and Chelsea have a world-class cohesion between their lines and the best tactician on the sideline. We can beat Arsenal and Liverpool when they have an off-day and we have a perfect day, but we will never beat Chelsea whenever they are close to 90% or better. Playing at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad is only about damage limitation - or praying they have a drastic off-day. I was disappointed with the Arsenal-game of course, but I am not too bothered with the game yesterday. Chelsea will always score three goals against us when they are at full strength and fight to score goals instead of just keeping the tempo down. Stoke managed to beat Man City away, which is amazing, but it is down to two aspects. 1) Meeting City early in the season, a bit like us beating Arsenal away on the first day last year and 2) Man City were woefully off pace on the day. Had Stoke delivered the same display and fight, as well as City being at their regular level, it could have been 6-0.

That was 3 - 0 to Chelsk without them even trying. If Hutton hadn't gone on that good but speculative run we'd have had no shots on target. Chelsea didn't get out of second gear.

Yes, I know there's a gulf in class, but we're not putting a pub team out there. These are still professional athletes on tens of thousands of pounds a week that should be capable of stringing some chances together. Even against the best.

The same problems are there for me as last season. As long as teams prepare properly against the counter-attack they will grind us down. Maybe Tekkers can hit the ground running when back, but it's a big if and also maybe Cole or Grealish can be given a chance to actually give us some creativity.

Chelsea weren't worried about us at any time at all - at all!!! At the final whistle they didn't even look like they'd been in a game.

No easy games in the Premiership? We just saw one.

• Like 4

That was 3 - 0 to Chelsk without them even trying. If Hutton hadn't gone on that good but speculative run we'd have had no shots on target. Chelsea didn't get out of second gear.

Yes, I know there's a gulf in class, but we're not putting a pub team out there. These are still professional athletes on tens of thousands of pounds a week that should be capable of stringing some chances together. Even against the best.

The same problems are there for me as last season. As long as teams prepare properly against the counter-attack they will grind us down. Maybe Tekkers can hit the ground running when back, but it's a big if and also maybe Cole or Grealish can be given a chance to actually give us some creativity.

Chelsea weren't worried about us at any time at all - at all!!! At the final whistle they didn't even look like they'd been in a game.

This is a worry for me - it's almost as if we pay these teams too much respect and the gameplan is sit back defend in depth and try to hit them on the break home and away - I watched the way leicester played last week in hitting United for five and wished we played with that same kind of attitude and ambition in our game .

If we went all out attack and tried to take the game to them, we'd have lost by a bigger margin.

This is a worry for me - it's almost as if we pay these teams too much respect and the gameplan is sit back defend in depth and try to hit them on the break home and away - I watched the way leicester played last week in hitting United for five and wished we played with that same kind of attitude and ambition in our game .

If Chelsea's defence was as bad as United's, I would agree. 

Let's see who many teams do anything at Stamford Bridge this season, already they've beaten us, Swansea and Leicester. Leicester and Swansea had more of a go...but still lost by two goal margins.

We had a go v Arsenal for the first 30 minutes yesterday...and still people were whining before the virus got known.

That said, I want to see better v Man. City and Everton. Man. City don't look convincing to me yet this season and if we can get Vlaar back I think we can get something against them. Everton are vulnerable at the back v pace so I'd be far more disappointed if we lose our next two rather than these two. 

I just wonder if we have set the bar to low .....we don't even seem to compete in these games....avoid a hammering ....don't pick up injuries.....gather enough points in the lesser games to keep us in the division. ....oh and theres a new 4 year contract.

This isn't directly a criticism of Lambert - and indeed him walking\being sacked would IMO leave us in a darker place ....but this rolling over in games coupled with poor home form should never be deemed as acceptable.

Â