Paul Lambert

limpid

Get yourself down Villa Park for Lambert's attacking football.

0 goals against Newcastle.

0 goals against Orient.

Excitement galore from the boy wonder working on our tactics all week.

Even more worryingly:

0 shots on target against Newcastle

1 shot at target against Leyton Orient

You simply cannot defend Lambert with these stats

So even if we do blame Lambert, what do we do about the incompetent players missing chances?

It's Lambert who is picking the team, formation, tactics etc. He has to take the most blame

Who would put away those 13 shots we had?

what worries me is in the last few games I thought we needed Cole and Grealish involved to get goals, both were today and we were no better.

not sure if Gabby or Zog had played we'd have done any better either.

if we are again solely reliant on Benteke for goals it will be a long and pretty terrible season

Edited by VillanousOne

Incredible how some posters are still backing Lambert. Against Newcastle we had 0 shots on target, I don't think we had many against Stoke either. Having Benteke back isn't going to magically change that.

Lambert is tactically useless. Only playing around counter attack, which is a verypredictable tactic isn't getting us anywhere. I can easily see us being in another Relegation fight this year. A bad result against Hull and we are in big, big trouble. 

You seem surprised were shit at attacking…. No creativity and no proper strikers at the minute. But no budget to do anything about it either…. 

• Like 3

At least we aren't doing shit after spending huge on players. Always a plus. Norwich, QPR, Sunderland, West Brom etc have spent a lot more than us but actually aren't much better, if at all. 

I think the signings this close season have so far been decent enough, but they are only a bandaid to stop the bleeding. Being defensively more solid is a good start, but for the years of perverse financial and club mis-management to heal we need real investment.

I don't think we will get that.

Also i've lost count of the times Lambert is after 'one or two' more players and then we sign no-one, i'd honestly rather he'd just say 'yep i want to make signings but the targets i want, i can't afford the fees or wages.'

• Like 1

According to the sky sports app a few villa fans had to be restrained by stewards as they went for Lambert. Quite a few boos after the whistle as well!

The goal was met with angry reactions from a group of Villa supporters behind the dugouts, a couple of whom had to be restrained by stewards as they vented their frustrations towards Lambert.

There were also some calls for the Scot's resignation as he walked down the touchline towards the tunnel after the final whistle.
Edited by Villan4Life

Lambert has flaws, no doubts about that. He's pretty much still learning his trade as a manager and maybe he's taken on more than he can chew. I do, however, find it hard to pin most of our poor results on HIM. There's no way our team loses to lower league opposition 4 times in a row. Once maybe, sure - upsets happen. 4 times though? That can't be mainly the managers' fault, can it? Surely Premier League players can finish off a lower league opposition at some point? Surely Lerner recognises we need more investment into the playing squad?

I think the fact its happened numerous times shows its more to do with the manager.

• Like 2

Lambert always seems to get these fixtures where he makes changes to the team wrong.

We always look so disjointed and confused as a team in these games.

Apart from possibly changing Given for Guzan and Sanchez for Agbonlahor, maybe leaving the team from Newcastle would have given us a more settled game with a higher chance of winning??

Obviously you've got to get the other lads in, but when these games come along the balance just never looks right to me. 

According to the sky sports app a few villa fans had to be restrained by stewards as they went for Lambert. Quite a few boos after the whistle as well!

The goal was met with angry reactions from a group of Villa supporters behind the dugouts, a couple of whom had to be restrained by stewards as they vented their frustrations towards Lambert.

There were also some calls for the Scot's resignation as he walked down the touchline towards the tunnel after the final whistle.

Disgusting IF true.

• Like 1

Lambert has flaws, no doubts about that.  He's pretty much still learning his trade as a manager and maybe he's taken on more than he can chew.  I do, however, find it hard to pin most of our poor results on HIM.  There's no way our team loses to lower league opposition 4 times in a row.  Once maybe, sure - upsets happen.  4 times though?  That can't be mainly the managers' fault, can it?  Surely Premier League players can finish off a lower league opposition at some point?  Surely Lerner recognises we need more investment into the playing squad?

to me that amount of losses suggest it is the managers problem. one loss, yeah you can say players didnt turn up on the night, unlucky etc. but when it happens that many times?

i went tonight and yet again i have no idea what are tactics are, and i dont think the players do either. with the players he selected you would think we would set up to keep the ball, play through the middle etc. but we kept pumping it down the channels (to no one) or trying to lump it up to bent.

we couldnt even control the midfield against league 1 opposition, and whatever you think of bents efforts (or lack of), he had little support. plenty of times orient set up with a back 4 against a lone bent, and then a bank of midfielders between bent and our midfield. all our lot were too deep, with nobody getting up and trying to work between their 2 banks of 4.  we just kept playing lots of aimless deep crosses, and any time we did get in down the sides, it was 5 touches too many allowing orient to get numbers back.

I think the fact its happened numerous times shows its more to do with the manager.

Precisely this.

But then how do you explain the relative good results against much, much better opposition?  Is it more to do with the manager then too?

Getting close to the end now. I like him and have always backed him a reasonable manager working under difficult conditions...but the shot a game thing just cant go on. I know our best forwards are injured...sure that reduces our goal threat...but it shouldn't snuff it out completely. If we convincingly beat Hull then fair play...but loose as I fear he will and questions will be asked...the protection given by Lerner in the past may not be so strong with tom fox now running the show.

What's likely to happen when Benteke is back is that we are going to keep pumping up long balls to him like last year, with nothing happening, no movement, and one dimentional tactics. I don't think Benteke back will improve things.

Getting close to the end now. I like him and have always backed him a reasonable manager working under difficult conditions...but the shot a game thing just cant go on. I know our best forwards are injured...sure that reduces our goal threat...but it shouldn't snuff it out completely. If we convincingly beat Hull then fair play...but loose as I fear he will and questions will be asked...the protection given by Lerner in the past may not be so strong with tom fox now running the show.

I agree to an extent. I think with Moyes available they will consider sacking Lambert if our form dips.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

Â