Paul Lambert

limpid

No.My point is that the budget was no surprise to him.He knew he had to cut wages,he knew there was little money to spend.He knew everything....yet he still took the job.Meaning that he thought that he was good enough. 

He wasnt ( as we all know ) we needed someone like Moyes who ran Everton on a shoestring.

So, the bottom line is Lambert is not good enough for the Villa job,we needed someone like Martinez, Moyes.Lambert should realise this and walk away and give us a chance to find a manager that CAN work under those condidions. 

A manager like Moyes would never have come though???

Martinez turned us down????

As for the myth he ran Everton on a shoestring :D

...as for the backing himself part, every manager, infact every man should have the courage and belief to back himself in whatever job he does. Yet, you use it as a stick to beat him with.

• Like 2

To be honest I would question PL if he fully well knew that he would still be under these conditions in year 3. I imagine he was told money would be available to be spent once the wage bill was sorted. If that wasn't the case then I think he needs his head looking at.

I think he thought "blimey, Aston Vila, a big club. I'll have a go at that" and not much else.

I've not once heard him play the blame game either, so the argument that he "should have known" is a moot one. He's an adult, capable of understanding that circumstances are subject to change. He's getting on with it from what I can tell, perhaps thriving on the adversity. For all the jokes surrounding it, "we go again" is a pretty decent mantra to carry through life.

I was impressed and excited at the end of season one. Last season was, in the main, dreadful. So he's 50/50 with me and I suppose we've no choice but to give him another crack of the whip. It's the right choice under the circumstances.

Survival is the name of the game this season. Achieve that, preferably comfortably and he'll get another go I hope, under improved circumstances perhaps...

• Like 3

I still say Lambert took on more than he can handle and,if he really is a man, he should have the courage to admit it.

I dont like him, I didnt like him right from the start ( I thought his thinking was wrong, meaning what I have said above ) I do think however that he will do a better job this season BECAUSE now he will try to do the job properly ( mixing youth with experiance ) and the young players WILL learn ( on the pitch ) as well as off it and I expect a safe position well before the seasons end.

I still say Lambert took on more than he can handle and,if he really is a man, he should have the courage to admit it.

I dont like him, I didnt like him right from the start ( I thought his thinking was wrong, meaning what I have said above ) I do think however that he will do a better job this season BECAUSE now he will try to do the job properly ( mixing youth with experiance ) and the young players WILL learn ( on the pitch ) as well as off it and I expect a safe position well before the seasons end.

He doesn't have to admit anything to you.

...and is that what our players need, the manager coming out and saying he isn't up to the job.

I used to hear rumours about VillaTalk and the inane moaning that went on here.

They weren't wrong.

• Like 2

He doesn't have to admit anything to you.

...and is that what our players need, the manager coming out and saying he isn't up to the job.

I used to hear rumours about VillaTalk and the inane moaning that went on here.

They weren't wrong.

Agree with the first part. Also, we've all been there at some point, thinking we should perhaps be doing a little better in our chosen career/hobby/life. Those that are successful don't just give up at that point, they go again.

As for the second part, try any other football forum in the land. This just happens to be one of the more popular ones, so there are bound to be more dissenting voices.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Hang on a minute.When you apply for a job, dont you ask what the wages are ? dont you find out what the conditions of employment is ? or do you just sign up anyway ? My point is that Lambert must have known what the conditions were before he took the job.So dont say he was hamstrung by $$ conditions ...He knew that AND STILL took the job,so he is either very ignorant or thought he was better than he really is>

So your point is that if Lambert knew the budgets he had to work with then he can't have been hamstrung by those budgets?

With respect that is a pretty daft point. Simply knowing the budget doesn't change the conditions under which you are working or making the task any easier.

As for Lambert being either ignorant or thinking he was better than he was, I don't think it is either of those things. He backed his ability to do a job at a club despite the limitations that went with the job, he has kept us relatively safe these last two years while trying to rebuild a squad on pennies.

I'm really not sure what people expected of him.

I think 'relatively safe' is a bit generous don't you?

Being dangled over a cliff edge by your shoe laces and then being pulled up just before your laces break isn't what I would call being 'relatively safe'.

Hang on a minute.When you apply for a job, dont you ask what the wages are ? dont you find out what the conditions of employment is ? or do you just sign up anyway ? My point is that Lambert must have known what the conditions were before he took the job.So dont say he was hamstrung by $$ conditions ...He knew that AND STILL took the job,so he is either very ignorant or thought he was better than he really is>

So your point is that if Lambert knew the budgets he had to work with then he can't have been hamstrung by those budgets?

With respect that is a pretty daft point. Simply knowing the budget doesn't change the conditions under which you are working or making the task any easier.

As for Lambert being either ignorant or thinking he was better than he was, I don't think it is either of those things. He backed his ability to do a job at a club despite the limitations that went with the job, he has kept us relatively safe these last two years while trying to rebuild a squad on pennies.

I'm really not sure what people expected of him.

I think 'relatively safe' is a bit generous don't you?

Being dangled over a cliff edge by your shoe laces and then being pulled up just before your laces break isn't what I would call being 'relatively safe'.

No otherwise I wouldn't have said it.

We weren't in the relegation zone once last season.

Your analogy would be quite apt if we were Sunderland

Trent was quoting over 2 years and to be honest we were dangling over the edge and were only safe near the end.

Trent was quoting over 2 years and to be honest we were dangling over the edge and were only safe near the end.

Even more to the point, we looked dead and buried in January 2013. No matter what props you give to Lambert for saving us, I don't think it can be said we were always 'relatively safe'. 

• Like 2

Even more to the point, we looked dead and buried in January 2013. No matter what props you give to Lambert for saving us, I don't think it can be said we were always 'relatively safe'. 

How any team can look dead and buried in January I will never know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_Derby_County_F.C._season

To be fair.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2007-2008/custom-table

Edited by rodders0223

Another achievement of Lambert then!  :D

No.My point is that the budget was no surprise to him.He knew he had to cut wages,he knew there was little money to spend.He knew everything....yet he still took the job.Meaning that he thought that he was good enough.

He wasnt ( as we all know ) we needed someone like Moyes who ran Everton on a shoestring.

So, the bottom line is Lambert is not good enough for the Villa job,we needed someone like Martinez, Moyes.Lambert should realise this and walk away and give us a chance to find a manager that CAN work under those condidions.

No manager should have to work under those conditions, and not many could. Sure he knew what the restrictions were, but I imagine he didn't think he would have to put up with them for this long. He's doing an ok job, and I hate to jump on the bandwagon but we have had horrible luck with injuries. I'm sure with even a minimal premier league budget and no serious injuries Lambert would be a great manager. Maybe if certain people stopped slagging him off and got behind the team things might be a little better, but what do I know?

Â