Paul Lambert

limpid

I really don't understand why people are claiming Hughes has done has a great job with Stoke. 

They are on course for their best finish in both position and points. It's worth mentioning it's his first season as well where he's also tried to change the style of play. I think he's done a really good job things considered.

I do like Lambert, but 2 years in I still don't think he knows his best XI or even which formation to use.

• Like 2

I really like Paul Lambert. My head thinks he should go, my heart thinks he should stay. The results at the end of the season were nothing short of awful, but I just really really like the man. Such a shame things are ending this way.

I think he will go on to be a success at another club.

If he leaves he will follow in the same tradition as the rest of those managers who have left our club.

Simply not good enough and like most managers of limited ability has been found out at a bigger club.

I really don't understand why people are claiming Hughes has done has a great job with Stoke. They have a very established mid table team that has an average finish of 11th over the last 5 years. All Hughes has done is keep them where they were.

The biggest problem for Paul Lambert is that the fans expectations of where our club should be has not matched what Lerner was willing to finance.

Who's said he's done a great job? Just being used to show how another manager has done with an arguably comparable team.

And unless my maths is wrong Stokes average league position is more like 13th (12th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 13th) so Hughes is well on course to take them to their highest ever Premier League finish, bit harsh to say all he's done is tread water tbh.

Fair enough, I misread their previous finishes. He's done better than I had realised. 

Edited by DiegoD

Lambert didn't have to clear out a whole squad either.

He had to clear out the wage bill of high earner, and let's not even pretend Ireland, Hutton, Collins, Heskey and Dunne were fantastic in the seasons before. They were equally as bad as players this season but on 5x as much!
The thing is, were those players worse than what was signed ?

Of those, only Collins commanded a fee, and of the others we didn't move any of them until their contracts ran down. Could Dunne have contributed ? Probably, could Ireland have contributed ? Mark Hughes seems to think so, and with an arm round him he is hitting better if not exactly his best form.

Hutton is a classic example, he's still on our wage bill, he's been out on loan several times and clearly wants to play football, yet the manager (who admitted that the player had done nothing wrong) told him he'd never play for Villa again.....is he better than Lowton or Bacuna ? Well he's at least as good, so why waste money replacing a player that has done nothing wrong and still costs us £40k a week ? Playing him might have increased his confidence and might have generated some interest.

Heskey, well he was never exactly amazing, but decent backup, and never let us down when needed. It was just his time to go.

Edited by dukes

I think Hutton is the main gripe of the bomb squad. Bent didn't fit our formation and was tried. Ireland well we all know his issues, N Zog Injury. Hutton, ok he wasn't the best footballer, was he better than what we have got? Maybe not, but definately just as good. He was also passionate and wanted to play, he would have filled a void freeing up little of money for another position surely. 

I think Hutton is the main gripe of the bomb squad. Bent didn't fit our formation and was tried. Ireland well we all know his issues, N Zog Injury. Hutton, ok he wasn't the best footballer, was he better than what we have got? Maybe not, but definately just as good. He was also passionate and wanted to play, he would have filled a void freeing up little of money for another position surely. 

I watched Hutton playing for Bolton a while ago and he looked bang average even in the Championship.

Managers should start at the back in my view. Make a team a tough side to score goals on, and then work their way through the rest of the side. 

Lambert has tried to do the opposite. Make us a side that can always score goals. 

39 goals in 37 games. Not exactly a team that always scores goals

I watched Hutton playing for Bolton a while ago and he looked bang average even in the Championship.

He's at least as good as Lowton, or at least, he was before we left him to rot in the reserves and in the lower leagues. I'd rather have seen him at right back to let Bacuna play further up the pitch.

Edited by Davkaus

Lambert has been unlucky this season with injuries. I don't think N'Zogbia was in the plans any way, but as frustrating as he is, he can make something happen.

Perhaps he'll pay the price for keeping  faith in Baker and Clark who have each both put in some really competent performances this season. Baker looks magnificent at times. They've just both got a mare in them at any given time.

If the statement results in an increased wage budget and a few new back room staff to help him, I'd be tempted to say one more year.

Remember we have a "Baker" in the squad. can't be any worst than him, can he??

Not sure the issues with NZog but should definately been brought back into the squad. Although ive heard his injury hasn't been managed very well

Edited by foreveryoung

I have never seen a performance from Baker that is anything better than almost adequate. Magnificent?! He's caught out of position all of the damn time which is why he's always having to go for the action movie sliding tackles to recover from his own mistakes. Perhaps it's a symptom of the head injury he recieves each game.

I really don't understand why people are claiming Hughes has done has a great job with Stoke. They have a very established mid table team that has an average finish of 11th over the last 5 years. All Hughes has done is keep them where they were.

The biggest problem for Paul Lambert is that the fans expectations of where our club should be has not matched what Lerner was willing to finance. 

If you have a problem understanding that, can you imagine how extremely difficult it is for some of us to understand how anyone can say that Lambert has done a good or ok job!

• Like 1

Hughes has completely changed the style of play over 1 season. They now play good attacking football as well as staying a midtable position.

Our guy Lambert has totally transformed the team into a medicore Championship team, bombing out the players he can't manage and injuring the players that can progress us into a midtable team.

Ok he didn't injure them, but surely we need to be a little more careful with our top players in training. 

I have never seen a performance from Baker that is anything better than almost adequate. Magnificent?! He's caught out of position all of the damn time which is why he's always having to go for the action movie sliding tackles to recover from his own mistakes. Perhaps it's a symptom of the head injury he recieves each game.

Some of his scissor tackles in the box are magnificent

The power and poise he looks like a salmon leaping up stream fighting the current

article-2302133-19054860000005DC-243_634

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Managers should start at the back in my view. Make a team a tough side to score goals on, and then work their way through the rest of the side. 

Lambert has tried to do the opposite. Make us a side that can always score goals. 

Seriously! We have failed to score in 15 of our 37 league games this season.

Some of his scissor tackles in the box are magnificent

The power and poise he looks like a salmon leaping up stream fighting the current

article-2302133-19054860000005DC-243_634

Everytime I see that its just so amateur! Looks like jump in and hope, no control what so ever and that its in the penalty box is something even a conference player probably wouldn't attempt.

Â