Paul Lambert

limpid

I would guess that a modern day professional footballer's first "goal" is to make a lot of money, followed by getting himself a good looking missus and then maybe playing for one of the bigger clubs. I guess then comes the part of winning trophies/medals and finally, playing for their country.

My gaffer once told me that money isn't a motivator but that's bullshit. I bet most players would say, if honest, that a bigger contract motivates them to perform better.

Who are these "potential candidates"? Nobody knows until we see who the new owners are and what plans they have. If it's survival I would probably keep him but I think and hope the new owner or owners are more ambitious than that.

Who are these "potential candidates"? Nobody knows until we see who the new owners are and what plans they have. If it's survival I would probably keep him but I think and hope the new owner or owners are more ambitious than that.

I don't get very excited by the likes of Moyes, Pulis and Di Matteo.

Neither do i, but to be fair i think many of us are expecting something big, we might be a bit underwhelmed with whats coming. But After this year i think just any sort of change will make me happy

Very true TLR. Whatever happens, it needs to be resolved ASAP because the more time we have to prepare the better.

Another reason I'd like him to stay, he knows this squad and I'm sure he's already identified players to sign.

That's definitely the case for him. I'm not against him staying or going actually... really on the fence at the moment.

I would guess that a modern day professional footballer's first "goal" is to make a lot of money, followed by getting himself a good looking missus and then maybe playing for one of the bigger clubs. I guess then comes the part of winning trophies/medals and finally, playing for their country.

My gaffer once told me that money isn't a motivator but that's bullshit. I bet most players would say, if honest, that a bigger contract motivates them to perform better.

Your gaffer is correct.  Money isnt a motivator but it can be a demotivator. 

Regardless of the money players are on, all humans need motivation and leadership.

From a personal point of view the honour of wearing the shirt, playing in front of 35,000 fans and earning in a week what it would take those fans on the terraces to earn in a year would be all the motivation I would need.

With all due respect, you can't comment on motivation because you're not in that world.

By your logic, as soon as workers are promoted, they shouldn't have managers above them because the money should motivate them. Regardless of what you earn, we are all humans and are motivated differently.

No you are correct. I'm not in the world of a footballer but the very fact I'm not and have had to partake in dead end jobs to scratch a living would in fact give me the right to comment on those who whinge about earning many times the amount I earn for the privilege of doing something they enjoy and being waited on hand and foot within a Premiership club.

He has done a very good job of keeping this club in the Premier league under such restrictions. The squads below us are undoubtedly stronger than ours.

He is definitely off in the summer and he has carried himself in a professional manner since he was told so. He has my full respect and I suspect that we might be looking at him in a couple of years at another club thinking he is doing a great job.

Good luck

• Like 4

Regardless of the money players are on, all humans need motivation and leadership.

From a personal point of view the honour of wearing the shirt, playing in front of 35,000 fans and earning in a week what it would take those fans on the terraces to earn in a year would be all the motivation I would need.

But you're a fan, it's not your job.

No matter how much you love something, if you have to do that thing every day of your life, at some point you're going to need to be motivated to keep on going, footballers are humans after all. Not to mention the dogs bollocks abuse a lot of them get from some of those aforementioned 35,000 fans.

Just because someone earns £500k+ per year doesn't automatically make them happy or even mean that they don't find playing football tedious at times and they never need to be motivated.

Try telling that to the guy who has to work shifts in a job he hates just to keep a roof over his head and his family. Ask him what he would rather be doing? Playing football all week while being waited on hand in foot and not having to worry about money or what I've already stated above.

How many times have you heard grounded managers or players using the ordinary working man as an example when asked about pressure?

Therein lies your answer.

• Like 1

Your gaffer is correct.  Money isnt a motivator but it can be a demotivator.

So you play as well as the guy next to you but he's on 10 grand a week more. The gaffer says "well done son, keep it up but you're still not going to get to the same wage as so and so" or "keep playing like this lad and we'll put your wages up to match so and so". I'm sure I know which of those comments would motivate most players/people.

Â