Paul Lambert

limpid

Winning the last 3 games will put fans back on his side. But it ain't happening... he's gone. 

You reckon?

It will take a lot more than winning 3 games on the spin to get the majority of fans back on his side. Remember, we aren't fickle!  :D

• Like 1

Winning the last 3 games will put fans back on his side. But it ain't happening... he's gone. 

You reckon?

It will take a lot more than winning 3 games on the spin to get the majority of fans back on his side. Remember, we aren't fickle!  :D

I think so yeah. 

I think if we beat Hull, Man City and Spurs a lot of fans would be willing to give him another chance. 

But the fact is, we're not going to do that :D 

People have extreme views about Lambert in both ends, and the fact is that he is neither woeful or particularly great. A very poor manager would have relegated us last season or this year, a better manager would have utilized the squad much better - and last but not least - gotten better players with the same budget. A better manager would have gotten the extremities out of our best players, treated the players better instead of ousting them and found a tactic better suited for our needs and arsenal.

I feel Lambert can boast about Christian Benteke, but after that the transfers have been very, very poor. I am not going to take Benteke away from the equation entirely, but let's say Kozak was the one from the beginning and Benteke went somewhere else, we definitely would have relegated a long time ago. Lambert is a decent manager and he has respect from the players I think, which isn't a given since we are playing poorly, but I don't trust him to take us forward if he is given more money to spend on a new squad.

Why? Transfers have been poor and squad utilization is just as poor. We play the same players and we never seem to find the right tactic, it always seems like we need the other team to be totally out of it to win the game. I think Lambert is the kind of manager that can do good work with a poor side full of hardworking players, the kind of sides that promote after fighting their way from the Championship, but those sides never do well in the Premier League for more than a year. When it comes down to actual tactics, playing attacking football and the lot, he just doesn't cut it. I remember when he took over and we tried to pass is from player to player and believed we were the new Barcelona for a bout 15 minutes. We all remember how that ended, we never played a ball over the midfield and looked foolish. And how are we playing now? Who knows, try to get a counter and hope that the other teams play a high line at the back. If not then we will lose.

When has the support let the team down during Lambert's turgid tenure?

I firmly believe we have some of the best supporters in the land, but we are not faultless by any means. For example, some of the unnecessary abuse dished out to our players in the last few months has been nothing short of disgusting. Additionally, we are talking about young players who are still developing. This behaviour is the antithesis of support. It is unforgivable and makes the atmosphere volatile for everybody associated with this great club. It is not acceptable. 

The real question now is how can Villa supporters help the team? There is no time to dwell on the past and play the blame game. Get behind Lambert and the boys for the remaining games. 

For VR to state that we as Villa fans need to get behind and 'support' the team is patronising and insulting to other Villa fans who have put up with more than could be expected under our current blithering idiot of a manager

What is the alternative? Go to the Hull game and lay into the people playing for us. That makes logical sense. Supporters are at games to support their team, it is as simple as that. We need "support" on Saturday, no excuses.

He is totally posting for effect and I believe the correct description is actually troll as he is looking for the attention!

He is having some fun. I have no doubts VR believes in what he posts but gets too carried away with himself. Labelling people with different opinions as "trolls" or "attention seekers" is a weak argument. 

Good God you have West Ham fans booing when they win? Newcastle fans booing their team in 9th place. They should come and walk in our shoes and put up with the drivel we have for the past 4 years. if the events at VP had happened at another club we would be sitting here laughing at their misfortune and wondering why their fans were putting up with such a shite manager.

I understand the anger over the last four years but it still does not excuse poor support. We are so much better.

Lambert has had more than enough time to show his worth and has fallen woefully short of competent therefore has to go. As fans we has shown the patience of Job!

It is not about Lambert. It is about Aston Villa staying in the league.

The whole point is Gentleman is that we don't need a self appointed cheer leader to rally 'support' the support has always been there and always will be in spite of Lambert's anti-football? I think you will find that the 'troll', 'wind up merchant' or 'attention seeker' are the one's with the weak arguments which is what annoys people.

• Like 1

In any profession, if you are given crap resources you try to cut corners, take chances and make the best of what you have. 99% of the time you will still produce a sh*t product.

Ok, let's sack Lambert. He hasn't been able to make a cake out of mud. And I'll see you all back here in another two years when the next new name can't produce a miracle either.

In fact, based on what others have said, we need to automatically reject the next new manager as he should have the knowledge and self-respect to recognise you can't make a Premiership team with a handful of £3m and youth players. If he accepts the job he is automatically a useless manager who is just here as a yes man.

To me, he's an easy target. The players are sh*t, the manager is sh*t, the chairman is sh*t. Which one of those makes the biggest difference on the pitch - the players; stupid Lambert refused Lerner offering him £10m for a player and said "no thank you, I have a cunning plan...".

The chef will only ever make crap food with poor ingredients.

• Like 2

It's called working on a budget, something that he did at Norwich which is a big part of why he was hired. Why do some people find this so hard to comprehend? If he was a half-decent scout, he might have spent his £40m better. The belief that if you give every manager £40m, they will produce exactly the same results is becoming extremely tedious now, it has to be said.

• Like 1

It's called working on a budget, something that he did at Norwich which is a big part of why he was hired. Why do some people find this so hard to comprehend? If he was a half-decent scout, he might have spent his £40m better. The belief that if you give every manager £40m, they will produce exactly the same results is becoming extremely tedious now, it has to be said.

It was tedious many months ago, yet the same points (from both sides tbf) continue to be made. 

People, people, people, please quit with this "he's lost the fans nonsense."

No he hasn't.

I bought my season ticket yesterday & so have many other Villa fans too to date.

I'd like to see the figures. There are lies and damned statistics just like the GDP figures. Perhaps Ken Dodd's accountant is involved?

& there is the season ticket renewal thread here on VT with many loyal Villa fans like myself confirming that they have indeed renewed. Just to confirm there was a queue when I renewed monday afternoon 28th April 2014. Also I do not ever use my 10% Villa cash but let it automatically phase itself out at the end of the season.

As for Ken Dodd's accountant I could have swore he was behind Ken Dodd in the queue along with Lester Pigott's Solicitor & Chuck Berry's attorney. ;)

Don't take my word for it. Just ask Eddie Murphy. :P

It was tedious many months ago, yet the same points (from both sides tbf) continue to be made. 

On the budget he's had it would be almost impossible (save for extreme luck) to finish much above top of the bottom half - maybe mid table. That has to be acknowledged a little.

But I think he's had enough time and budget to have moved us away from the relegation quagmire.

On the budget he's had it would be almost impossible (save for extreme luck) to finish much above top of the bottom half - maybe mid table. That has to be acknowledged a little.

But I think he's had enough time and budget to have moved us away from the relegation quagmire.

I agree to some extent with that, however I believe he would have improved us with a fit all season Benteke (he's probably only played a third of it fully fit) and a fit Okore.

When you're working with such tight margins, the impact of losses to key players is much more significant. I still don't think we would have got higher than 11th with this squad. Mistakes have been made, all managers do, but I would be happy for him to be given some time with more budget. I think getting League One players from around the world to survive in this division is almost a modicum of success - not acceptable but for me the fault is so much due to Lerner's lack of investment that I can't yet lay the blame at Lambert. He's an easy target as we're useless and he's actually at Villa Park every week.

We're just shooting the messenger.

• Like 1

No he hasn't.

I bought my season ticket yesterday & so have many other Villa fans too to date.

I'd like to see the figures. There are lies and damned statistics just like the GDP figures. Perhaps Ken Dodd's accountant is involved?

& there is the season ticket renewal thread here on VT with many loyal Villa fans like myself confirming that they have indeed renewed. Just to confirm there was a queue when I renewed monday afternoon 28th April 2014. Also I do not ever use my 10% Villa cash but let it automatically phase itself out at the end of the season.

As for Ken Dodd's accountant I could have swore he was behind Ken Dodd in the queue along with Lester Pigott's Solicitor & Chuck Berry's attorney. ;)

Ahh I see. Why didn't you mention that you were a better fan than me? I now agree with every word you say.

No he hasn't.

So glad all the LOYAL Villa fans have renewed? Keeps out the riff raff!

I really don't see any connection between renewing a season ticket (even in a very loyal sort of way) and supporting the manager. I have supported Villa since I was 10 and always will, so I suppose that counts as a little bit loyal (obviously not as much so as Villa Revolution) but I want Lambert out because he is damaging the club.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

The main defence fans have of Lambert is that he has brought in good players when spent larger amounts. So maybe he should be a scout?

He could never be a scout. The scout motto is 'Be Prepared'. Something which Lambert never is.  :D

• Like 1

No he hasn't.

Congratulations, you are the best fan on VT!

Â