Paul Lambert

limpid

Ok I concede to you on the figures, but what about the rest of my post? How does £1.2m negate that argument in any way?

It's not just Helenius though is it? He has spent 'little' amounts on quite a few players who are now surplus to requirements. When tallied up, such money could've gone to much better use.

Martinez got Wigan relegated on a similar budget to what Lambert has worked with...

Simply not true. Martinez averaged a spend of around £12m per season during his time there and that's not even taking net-spend into account which links to the fact that they lost their best players every year.

Ok I concede to you on the figures, but what about the rest of my post? How does £1.2m negate that argument in any way?

It's not just Helenius though is it? He has spent 'little' amounts on quite a few players who are now surplus to requirements. When tallied up, such money could've gone to much better use.

Martinez got Wigan relegated on a similar budget to what Lambert has worked with...

Simply not true. Martinez averaged a spend of around £12m per season during his time there and that's not even taking net-spend into account which links to the fact that they lost their best players every year.

I'll requote my post from the last page

Spending £1m or £2m or even £5m on a transfer has not been PL's issue as all these players have come in on between £10 - 20k per week.

It's spending the £8m + AND the £50k per week for real quality that's not been available to us. Funding a Helenius for the future has not eaten into that pot, as that size of pot doesn't exist.

Sure, one could argue that add Bowery, Tonev, Helenius, Sylla together and you have enough for one quality player, but then we'd be short on squad numbers. My opinion, based on nothing more than guesswork I might add, is that Lerner is perhaps unwilling to sanction a lot of money on a single player, as he's seen what happens when the eggs are placed in one basket before.

He trusts his manager, but his fingers are still burnt. This is why he needs to step down for a new owner.

Martinez was building on the squad that was already there. Lambert has had to replace a squad.

There must be a ceiling in terms of the type of player's that you can pay 10-20K a week.

You'd think that any player over 4 mil would want a hell of a lot more than that, unless they were almost a complete unknown - which is unlikely if they are in the 6-10 mil bracket.

Players out of contract will always command even higher wages as they seek to pocket directly any saving made on transfer fees.

Lambert has had to gamble with his transfers and any considered not to be a gamble (or less of) have instantly been crocked. I do take issue though that it's taken him three goes to get a decent left back - and even that's one we don't own.

He lost faith in Lowton and now plays a player bought as a midfielder to play there and to be fair Bacuna has done that job well at times, but they can't have been the plan.

Bowery managed to push Bent out of the squad at a time we would have been better served playing Bent even just cameos - to keep his value up. Lambert clearly doesn't rate Bowery either.

Most unsold bomb squad members have continued to lose value and costs huge sums in wages. I get the sentiment of trying to move on and get rid, but we've managed neither. Even avoiding paying huge appearence fees must be countered by the fact all of the remaining bomb squad are worthless.

Also until last weekend when Robinson made a cameo - Lambert has not risked any youth players. Instead leaving the likes of Sylla and Bowery to rot on the bench in their place. Hopefully he saw the fan's reaction to Callum coming on and realised 'hmmm maybe more of that would make me popular!'

There must be a ceiling in terms of the type of player's that you can pay 10-20K a week.

Depends where you get them from. For most players outside the UK that's absolutely huge money. Even the non-superstars coming from Spain are probably on less wages than our average

I'll requote my post from the last page

cut

Apologies, I misread that for some reason.

Though I don't think Lambert has been pragmatic enough in building the squad. Spending the largest amount of his summer budget on a back-up striker for instance. Why release Lichaj if you are just going to replace him with some Sevilla reject who was awful at Mallorca? Alan Hutton (who completely outshone Luna at Mallorca) isn't very good but why he isn't worthy of being our second-choice right-back at least, I'll never know. Tonev, Helenius, Bowery etc. aren't even played enough to be considered squad options. He could've have just used more of the NextGen team to bulk out the squad and before some on here bust a gut to tell me that they "aren't ready", well neither are the those I just mentioned in the manager's estimation.

• Like 1

So we've worked out he could of signed one player for the cost of signing 4 of 5, who the hell do we then have on the bench? Or who do we play if this one player got injured. We've already been told that injuries is just an excuse and have to be dealt with so Lambert would of got slaughtered if he spent it all one one player and they got injured.

Every single obe of our outfield plays bar Holt and lowton have been injured at some point this season. You need to have at least 2 players in every position.

Only arsenal have suffered more injuries than us so its rubbish to say he should of signed back up players.

I can't be arsed now as I'm at work but I'll rate his signings later.

Paul Lambert's problem for me has not been anything related to the transfer market, in that respect, I think he's done okay with what's been made available, and has been unfortunate with injuries.

The problem for me isn't the formations he chooses to play, I think generally he picks the best 11 he can and puts them in a formation which best suits the players.

It's not his man management that annoys me either, to me it looks like the players are playing for him, they do try, and they always put a shift in.

But what the issue is for me is how we approach football. I wonder what level of match preparation we put in before a match? As we seem to approach every game largely the same. Which is just an incredibly direct one. Where's the training and development? 

There's an argument that the players are just simply not good enough to play a pass and move style of football. But does this excuse completely trying? It's almost like Lambert doesn't really know how to get this team to move up the pitch by passing the ball on the ground, so we completely bypass our midfield and then feed on the scraps. That isn't the attacking brand of football which Lambert promised when becoming the manager. The thought which plays on my mind however, is if we did have some money to spend, and we could buy a few quality players who can pass and move the ball naturally without development, would we still play such a direct game? Is the direct football we play a result of having players that cost about £2m, or is it how Lambert believes football should be played? If it's the latter he can GTFO now. But personally I believe Lambert thinks that bypassing the midfield and feeding of the scraps from a long ball is the only way to move up the field when not counter attacking. Which raises questions about his training/coaching ability.

Ultimately, if we had money to spend, I'd be willing to see what Lambert does with it, and how he approaches football. However, I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if he was given the sack and a more progressive manager was to be brought in. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

So we've worked out he could of signed one player for the cost of signing 4 of 5, who the hell do we then have on the bench? Or who do we play if this one player got injured. We've already been told that injuries is just an excuse and have to be dealt with so Lambert would of got slaughtered if he spent it all one one player and they got injured.

Already clarified in the post above this one.

Thanks for telling us I'll make sure I stay logged on.

I can already guess what it will be.

Don't be mad because he has a career. :lol:

U jelly bro, u jelly.

Thanks for telling us I'll make sure I stay logged on.

I can already guess what it will be.

Don't be mad because he has a career. :lol:

U jelly bro, u jelly.

Yes I'm very jelly

Wondering if its worth renewing my Avtv subscription, for the Press conference

Doubt it, it's just a press conference with Lambert I think, I don't think he's going to really spill the beans about a takeover or even the Culverhouse/Karsa stuff.

Not sure if he's even going to be eating beans during

Doubt it, it's just a press conference with Lambert I think, I don't think he's going to really spill the beans about a takeover or even the Culverhouse/Karsa stuff.

Counting beans maybe..

Bean there & done it!

One question. Last season towards the end we were playing pretty decent hi-octane football with Gabby and Weimann running the channels - we had a direct but free flowing counter attacking style. Yes we conceded a fair number of goals still due to sill mistakes.

This season was meant to be 'more of the same' but without the comedy defending.

Yet somehow we started off with less comedy defending but a lot less goals, then progressed to comedy defending and less goals and then endless hoof ball tactics and no consistency or anything, other than injuries.

Yes I get that the three of Gabby, Andi, and Big Chris would be found out and marked heavily, but you'd still think we would have some success.

It was like everything we learnt last season has gone aside from some marginally better set piece defending.

• Like 2

Â