Paul Lambert

limpid

Please quit people from slagging Lambert off over his tactics.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

Just because a player has played under a good manager doesn't mean they are like that manager. Have you heard some of the former pro's who are now pundits? Adversly look at the likes of Mourinho, Wengers and Rodgers they didn't play under top managers but are still good manager themselves.

I'm sure a lot of people on here may have coaching badges. But football can very much an old boys network and people who aren't connected will not get opportunities. It doesn't mean that they know nothing about tactics.

If Lambert is so good, why haven't we seen the players he has signed progress?

• Like 1

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

Before you accuse the bankers of messing up the world economy, can I please see your phd in macroeconomics...

• Like 2

Before you accuse the bankers of messing up the world economy, can I please see your phd in macroeconomics...

Don't quote me in that its not my opinion ;)

Lambert is one of the best managers in the league plus he's not a complete clearing in the woods like some. I think he's being unfairly judged. Can you honestly see Martinez, Rodgers, Moyes do better with the squad we have available?

• Like 1

The likelihood would have been that Martinez, Rodgers and even Moyes choice in the transfer market would have been better than Lambert and I honestly can't see what's your basis for describing Lambert as one of the best managers in the league.

• Like 1

Lambert is one of the best managers in the league plus he's not a complete clearing in the woods like some. I think he's being unfairly judged. Can you honestly see Martinez, Rodgers, Moyes do better with the squad we have available?

Martinez yes, and I would have bet on it!

There's simply no proof, as yet, what so ever he is one of the best managers in the league. There is no justification to prove this statement at all!!

The likelihood would have been that Martinez, Rodgers and even Moyes choice in the transfer market would have been better than Lambert and I honestly can't see what's your basis for describing Lambert as one of the best managers in the league.

Based on what? Lambert's record in the transfer market isn't bad at all, especially relative to what he's had to spend.
Lambert has had relatively little to spend, I think he has wasted some of this money. Bodies in the squad are all well and good but some of his signings don't get near the pitch these days. I think that money could have been used a lot better than it has been. Buys like Benteke and Vlaar have been good though.

I dislike Pulis immensely but you cant tell me they have a better squad than us, of course the only defence of Lambert seems to be budgets and its just utter tosh. One of the best managers in the league would have us on 45-50 points, if he was one of the best managers in the league he would have shown it by getting a relatively poor squad and team at least up for it and we never are apart from a handful of games.

I don't think hes a bad manager at all but how anyone could possibly say hes one of the best n the league is absolutely baffling, infact there's much more of a case for the opposite.

• Like 2

Err...yes, yes I could. Though your opening sentence is almost bordering on trolling it has to be said.

Edited by Isa

Based on what? Lambert's record in the transfer market isn't bad at all, especially relative to what he's had to spend.
If Lambert's record in the transfer market isn't bad at all then why during the two seasons he has been with us we have been battling the threat of relegation.

If Lambert's record in the transfer market isn't bad at all then why during the two seasons he has been with us we have been battling the threat of relegation.

Seriously? are you seriously asking that question?

I'll bite.

In a system where lots of money = success and little money = failure

I'd say with the little money provided to Lambert, he's actually done very well in the transfer market.

Last season Lowton was one of our best players, Sylla contributed, KEA has played pretty decently this season, Benteke (when not injured) has mostly been good.

In fact, I'd say his only dud's where Bowery (250k from Chesterfield, who cares? Plus he assisted the winning goal against Stoke) and due to his (so far) lack of playing time, Helenius.

He's been very good in the transfer market, considering how many players he's needed to get in and how little money he's been given.

• Like 1

Mainly because of other factors like tactics, motivation, injuries and the general lack of funds overall. I think the last point is especially key, as he hasn't had much to spend (especially with regards to wages) for the job he's had to do, but most of the money he has spent has been well spent.

Not everything is black and white.

I wasn't defending every other aspect of Lambert by the way, just his record in the transfer market.

Lambert has had relatively little to spend, I think he has wasted some of this money. Bodies in the squad are all well and good but some of his signings don't get near the pitch these days. I think that money could have been used a lot better than it has been. Buys like Benteke and Vlaar have been good though.

I never said he had a perfect record.

Edited by Mantis

Â