Paul Lambert

limpid

If as seems almost certain we are to be taken over I would be very surprised if Lambert is kept on as manager. If he is though and manages to do well enough to get the majority of supporters back on side it will be the greatest come back since Rocky knocked out Apollo Creed in the 15th round in Rocky II :)

I actually like the guy and believe he is doing his best. I just don't think he is anywhere near as good a manager as I thought we were getting. For as long as he remains here though I'll happily be proved wrong.

The thing is even if he started well the first bad patch we hit would see fans turning pretty quick. I just can't see any reason why new owners wouldn't bring a manager in when they have a whole summer period.

BJ as I said I would be very surprised if he stayed. However if he does I don't believe the situation for Lambert is irretrievable. Most fans were happy with his appointment and until around 3 -4 months ago the vast majority were still behind him. Fans like me who were over the moon when he arrived and have now decided that sadly due to results/performances that he isn't up to the job won't take too much convincing to back him again. For the the majority there is no down right detest of Lambert as there appeared to be with McLeish.

If he stays he will need a very good start to next season. A new owner will provide a feel good factor, a few quid spent on some exciting signings will add to that. It is not beyond the realms Lambert can ride that wave of optimism. As I said though it is highly unlikely he will still be here but if he is lets all hope he does well and proves a few of us wrong including me.

Edited by markavfc40

I look forward to a long and successful period with the new ownership and lambo in charge.

I think with the correct investment and lambos canny European scounting network purchases. I think we'll be looking to maybe sneak an europa league spot next year.

Paul Lamberts claret and blue army! :-)

However... there is a caveat to this attitude.

If he fails to do a good job by Jan 15, then I'd say he's been given a fair crack of the whip and that unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out like all of the fans (and probably) the new owners would have liked.

Vis a vie. My best interests are with maximising the potential of aston villa. If lambo isn't that man, then best of luck to him in the future.

I'd take that, as long as we didn't look to be in getting into serious trouble before then, would prefer a clean start with the new owners but he has bought well and agree it would be interesting to see who he could pick up with more funds, especially if it's true we were looking at at Holtby etc but couldn't afford.

Although I can't see us anywhere near a europa league spot but here's hoping.

I agree :-)

I just think he's shown with 5m+ purchases, that he can identify a pretty good player.

If we're bottom in october and nothing has changed, then as I said, thanks for the effort, but its not been good enough.

I'm not shifting anything, I'm asking a question that is extremely relevant in the discussion we're having. If I was to answer like you have been, I'd say something like 'ah, no answer matey, so therefore you must be wrong, matey'.

The point made by Eames is that Lambert is better than he has been at Villa. Asking you whether Lambert's performance as manager at Norwich was better than his at Villa is completely valid. Care to answer me?

Any question is valid depending upon the answer and yes I have answered his question several times with other posters.To answer your question his achievements are similar with both teams but he has had better players here and more of a budget to play with and at our club the expectations are far greater than at Norwich so he has failed here and the records are there to prove it.
I'm not disputing whether he's failed here. That's not the discussion. I'm discussing Eames' original point, which you seem to keep saying is wrong. After 2 consecutive promotions with Norwich, he finished 12th, scoring 52 goals. You think that is on the same level of performance as what he's done here? We may need to agree to disagree, because I think he performed ten times better with Norwich.
  • Like 1

I look forward to a long and successful period with the new ownership and lambo in charge.

I think with the correct investment and lambos canny European scounting network purchases. I think we'll be looking to maybe sneak an europa league spot next year.

If he fails to do a good job by Jan 15, then I'd say he's been given a fair crack of the whip and that unfortunately, it just hasn't worked out like all of the fans (and probably) the new owners would have liked.

Vis a vie. My best interests are with maximising the potential of aston villa. If lambo isn't that man, then best of luck to him in the future.

But if he spends big in the summer and is sacked in January, wouldn't this just leave a new manager with a load of expensive signings he didn't buy?

Makes a lot more sense to let a new manager start from scratch in my opinion.

If you had hit your targets at work, and was then told they weren't good enough once you'd hit them, I dare say you'd feel pretty upset with your boss. :-)

I've tried using this argument after being told Lambert has failed. Last time I checked hitting qtqrget that your boss has given you isn't failure.

Its like a salesman getting told he needs to equal a previous employees target with an area a 3rd of the size.

If as seems almost certain we are to be taken over I would be very surprised if Lambert is kept on as manager. If he is though and manages to do well enough to get the majority of supporters back on side it will be the greatest come back since Rocky knocked out Apollo Creed in the 15th round in Rocky II :)

I actually like the guy and believe he is doing his best. I just don't think he is anywhere near as good a manager as I thought we were getting. For as long as he remains here though I'll happily be proved wrong.

The thing is even if he started well the first bad patch we hit would see fans turning pretty quick. I just can't see any reason why new owners wouldn't bring a manager in when they have a whole summer period.

Which I guess would be fine, at least then he's been given a chance without ridiculous restrictions from the owners.

Yes your opinion was conjecture but proven to be wrong.

Directed at poster Eames.

Bang. There is the problem.... Your "proof" is merely your own opinion.

That's fine. We can disagree.

*Sits back and waits for smug counter post.*

None of my posts have been smug and I'll let the the records speak for themselves. But yes we can agree to disagree.

In many takeovers/buyouts there is a part of the existing business that is classed as Goodwill and is taken on by the new owners. Lambert may be the Goodwill as Lerner will not want to leave him high and dry if/when he sells.

I be he cant wait to sign Hoolahan with that first Texas cheque! Maybe sign Holt on a perminent too!!

I think lambo's transfer targets would most likely change with a increase in transfer budget.

I think you probably know that too, you cheeky little comedian you! :-)

I be he cant wait to sign Hoolahan with that first Texas cheque! Maybe sign Holt on a perminent too!!

Hopefully with new owners and a new manager, we don't have to hear that name ever again.

Edited by villalad21

I'd take that, as long as we didn't look to be in getting into serious trouble before then, would prefer a clean start with the new owners but he has bought well and agree it would be interesting to see who he could pick up with more funds, especially if it's true we were looking at at Holtby etc but couldn't afford.

Although I can't see us anywhere near a europa league spot but here's hoping.

I agree :-)

I just think he's shown with 5m+ purchases, that he can identify a pretty good player.

If we're bottom in october and nothing has changed, then as I said, thanks for the effort, but its not been good enough.

Whether or not he can identify a good player or not for £5m isn't really the question fan's should be asking though surely? Isn't it more important that the manager of any team gets them playing good football with every player knowing their job and requirements?!

I don't see how Lambert can survive under new owners regardless of financial restraints. The football has in the main been diabolical, add to that the majority of signings have been poor and not worthy of wearing the shirt. With the exception of benteke most fans are still look at the likes of gabby, delph, albrighton and wiemann winning our games for us in an attacking sense, not one of them a Lambert player.

Nothing Lambert has done gives me confidence that even with more money he would have us playing good football or that he could even be trusted to bring in the right backroom staff to assist him progress us further on and of the pitch. It's also hard to feel sorry for someone who knew what they were getting into when they took the job and with a salary the majority can only dream of.

We need a clearing of the decks both at boardroom and playing level, and maybe then we may actually in the not too distant future get back to where the biggest club in the second city belongs- at minimum challenging for europe.

Maybe Lambert can stick around as a scout or director of football.

Maybe he could stick around as chief spy and make sure none of the coaches are deliberately trying to sabotage our performances by employing shit training methods...........ooh wait!

Â