Paul Lambert

limpid

True. But you also described the climate for every single club in the division! Swansea, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham - you name it.

Not at all, we are doing things differently at Aston Villa. We are investing in young players and planning for the future, we will only get better IMO. 

That is your view. I don't buy the notion that it's a certainty that young "talents" get better over time, year by year and end up like superstars when they're 26. Some players are just not good enough now, and they will never be good enough in the future.

We are investing in kids because we can't afford the grown-ups. Not many of the kids are going to become stars in this league, because they aren't good enough. Our scouting department is lightyears behind the biggest clubs (again, because they can afford to have eyes everywhere and we cannot) and they will snatch the biggest talents before we even know who they are. Planning for the future? Not trying to be Piers Morgan here, but come on, that is a ridiculous statement. Every club is planning for the future in that regard. Squads are constantly being changed around to plan for tomorrow, not for a certain point in time which is at least five years ahead of us. It's about being the best you can be right now and next season, not to dream the fantasy of us being up there in the future. How many 5-year plans are we supposed to follow? If we're 15th in five years, will there be a new time-horizon? I better call General Krulak to find out, oh that's right, he bounced when his empty, hollow American gibberish came back to bite him in the ass.

We got lucky with Benteke and he is probably the only bargain chip for the current strategy. We will sell him and make a great profit no doubt, but it's not like we can buy 10 players and make a 200M profit and then know we have the cash to constantly sustain a challenge. He'll leave, we'll have money to spend but odds are we are going to struggle to find someone even remotely close to his ability and we'll struggle to score goals the following season. Let's say we finish 12th or 13th this season, which we probably will, it's not like we can expect to finish on a linear basis and jump up 2-3 places every season for the next five seasons when we lose Benteke. The league is filled with poor teams and some performing under their true ability, it will mix and sort itself out next season and we might as well finish 15th again - who knows?

With our noble strategy we get players like Lowton, Sylla, Luna, Tonev, Kozak, Helenius, Bennett, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Bacuna and Holt. Then we get to loan good players like Bertrand and we get dibs on known quantities like Vlaar every once in a while, which is very nice indeed, but almost every club down there get their hands on a few known players I would have liked to buy as well. Seeing that crop of players I don't think it's unreasonable to expect anything other than mid-table at best, every single season. Benteke was a great buy, Okore might be decent - nobody really knows yet, but we're talking about a few players out of 15 that barely manages to perform to the level of mediocrity. Take away Guzan, Gabby, Delph and Weimann and we really would have struggled to stay afloat. Many teams have tried to buy cheaply and develop from there, most if not all teams fail - and I don't see a single evidence of us being in contention to be on the good side of that statistic.

well said

True. But you also described the climate for every single club in the division! Swansea, Newcastle, Palace, West Ham - you name it.

Not at all, we are doing things differently at Aston Villa. We are investing in young players and planning for the future, we will only get better IMO. 

That is your view. I don't buy the notion that it's a certainty that young "talents" get better over time, year by year and end up like superstars when they're 26. Some players are just not good enough now, and they will never be good enough in the future.

We are investing in kids because we can't afford the grown-ups. Not many of the kids are going to become stars in this league, because they aren't good enough. Our scouting department is lightyears behind the biggest clubs (again, because they can afford to have eyes everywhere and we cannot) and they will snatch the biggest talents before we even know who they are. Planning for the future? Not trying to be Piers Morgan here, but come on, that is a ridiculous statement. Every club is planning for the future in that regard. Squads are constantly being changed around to plan for tomorrow, not for a certain point in time which is at least five years ahead of us. It's about being the best you can be right now and next season, not to dream the fantasy of us being up there in the future. How many 5-year plans are we supposed to follow? If we're 15th in five years, will there be a new time-horizon? I better call General Krulak to find out, oh that's right, he bounced when his empty, hollow American gibberish came back to bite him in the ass.

We got lucky with Benteke and he is probably the only bargain chip for the current strategy. We will sell him and make a great profit no doubt, but it's not like we can buy 10 players and make a 200M profit and then know we have the cash to constantly sustain a challenge. He'll leave, we'll have money to spend but odds are we are going to struggle to find someone even remotely close to his ability and we'll struggle to score goals the following season. Let's say we finish 12th or 13th this season, which we probably will, it's not like we can expect to finish on a linear basis and jump up 2-3 places every season for the next five seasons when we lose Benteke. The league is filled with poor teams and some performing under their true ability, it will mix and sort itself out next season and we might as well finish 15th again - who knows?

With our noble strategy we get players like Lowton, Sylla, Luna, Tonev, Kozak, Helenius, Bennett, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Bacuna and Holt. Then we get to loan good players like Bertrand and we get dibs on known quantities like Vlaar every once in a while, which is very nice indeed, but almost every club down there get their hands on a few known players I would have liked to buy as well. Seeing that crop of players I don't think it's unreasonable to expect anything other than mid-table at best, every single season. Benteke was a great buy, Okore might be decent - nobody really knows yet, but we're talking about a few players out of 15 that barely manages to perform to the level of mediocrity. Take away Guzan, Gabby, Delph and Weimann and we really would have struggled to stay afloat. Many teams have tried to buy cheaply and develop from there, most if not all teams fail - and I don't see a single evidence of us being in contention to be on the good side of that statistic.

well said

A very good article, and why we will continue to sit still (or fall backwards if more teams like Southampton arrive). We won't go forwards whilst we have the budget and strategy that we do.

I don't think that's a very fair attitude at all.

its about as fair as the attitude the players showed last Sunday.

So because the players were shit in our last game that justifies insulting fellow fans because they don't share your exact point of view (or at least don't go on about it as much)?

I can't say that I agree entirely.

QPR spent truckloads on "quality" players which, on paper, should have seen them finish mid-table. They got relegated.

Likewise, Atletico Madrid have a bunch of players that would not make their way into the current Barcelona or Real Madrid sides, but they are up there with the big boys.

Yes, these are isolated examples and not the norm, but they demonstrate something about football: It's a team game. Playing better football is what wins games, not having better quality players. Ask Mourinho about that - he won't admit it but that's exactly what happened at Villa park.

He is to football tactics, what Lidl is to fine foods

The bloke is a complete and utter joke.

What do he do wrong tactically today? Just intrigued.

Picking Weimann. The defensive unit, or lack of one. Just two things that worry me at the moment.

Weimann instead of who?

Defense that (up until the last 2 weeks) has looked far better?

Today was a bit crap, but I'm not sure how much is on Lambert. As opposed to last week where he had a far greater influence on the result and I was disappointed in him.

That's it for me. Being given a hiding by probably the worst Man you side since the Premiership began and the form they have been in ins a total embarrassment.

Lambert has to go at the end of the season.

That's it for me. Being given a hiding by probably the worst Man you side since the Premiership began and the form they have been in ins a total embarrassment.

Lambert has to go at the end of the season.

More important that Lerner goes.

No manager will ever be able to do anything other than survive, whilst we budget like a championship club.

Maybe we need a new motto: Think small, act small.

There's no plan for growth at this club, it's pretty depressing, our ultimate goal is survival on a shoe string budget, it makes for an exciting future doesn't it?

Our brilliant owner has settled on making us a small time club, on a par with the West Ham's of this world, that won't change until he has gone. 

For me Lambert has tried his best, its not working. The team can play good football i.e Chelsea recently. We need a manager who can get the team playing consistent football and wont put up with performances like today and against Stoke. The players seem to play like they can get away with one great game and 5 shit. We need a manager who wont put up with this!!!

• Like 1

No manager will ever be able to do anything other than survive, whilst we budget like a championship club.

Maybe we need a new motto: Think small, act small.

There's no plan for growth at this club, it's pretty depressing, our ultimate goal is survival on a shoe string budget, it makes for an exciting future doesn't it?

Our brilliant owner has settled on making us a small time club, on a par with the West Ham's of this world, that won't change until he has gone. 

We're not even on a par with West Ham, they spend much, much more than us.

For me Lambert has tried his best, its not working. The team can play good football i.e Chelsea recently. We need a manager who can get the team playing consistent football and wont put up with performances like today and against Stoke. The players seem to play like they can get away with one great game and 5 shit. We need a manager who wont put up with this!!!

The problem is... the next manager has to come in and fight with a tiny budget. 

Other problem... Faulkner choosing the manager.

Managers need time yes but not when it the wrong manager, how have we improved since he came?

Obviously this will all be brushed aside as emotional raging fans after a defeat but i'm struggling to see what he brings, absolute dross every week except for that 1 occasion every 6 or so games where we actually turn up. Sick of it.

• Like 2

We've just lost 4-1 for the second week running, and people are still wondering why people question Lambert?

Didn't you know, it is an offence to criticise Lambert. He is the only manager in the world that we could possibly have at the club. He is fireproof from any criticism. You will get shouted down if you say anything wrong about him.

Â