Paul Lambert

limpid

The worst home form in the league and we're moaning at the fans?

Doesn't seem right somehow.

Exactly, the moaning and the level of expectation is not the end product of a particular scoreline in a particular match it is a cumulative effect of nearly four seasons of playing boring football and not winning many games at home.

When people have been subjected to an inferior product over

a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

The fans are not to blame (as much as some on here seem to suggest) for the negative and insipid atmosphere at Villa Park it is the absent owner, a succession of inept managers, the low quality players used, the utterly boring style of football and a continuous supply of poor home results.

Exactly, the moaning and the level of expectation is not the end product of a particular scoreline in a particular match it is a cumulative effect of nearly four seasons of playing boring football and not winning many games at home.

When people have been subjected to an inferior product over a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

The fans are not to blame (as much as some on here seem to suggest) for the negative and insipid atmosphere at Villa Park it is the absent owner, a succession of inept managers, the low quality players used, the utterly boring style of football and a continuous supply of poor home results.

Why are the fans so good away then? Same owner same players same manager and we do get better results!

This isn't the first season it's been like that though is it? It's been like that since the MON days, as soon as the slightest negative thing happens, the fans turn and get on the backs of the players.

Now I'm not saying the fans are to blame for our current predicament, but to dismiss the effects a hostile, negative and unsupportive crowd on young and inexperienced players is ridiculous.

Slightly OT, but when Bannan first broke into the first team, I would say to my brother/dad that I couldn't understand why fans got on his back, he obviously had some talent, but he was so nervous and whenever he did the slightest thing wrong, fans would get on his back and he'd go back into his shell, it's baffling why fans would do that.

a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

When people have been subjected to an inferior product over a sustained period of time is it any wonder that they are not full of the joys of spring and they have a sense of 'de ja vu' every time we go a goal down?

Why are the fans so good away then? Same owner same players same manager and we do get better results!

Possibly because the expectations of winning occasionally are not as great and the mentality of away support is probably more geared to trying to out sing the home fans and rub them up the wrong way (some form of animal/tribal instinct perhaps).

All in all, away support (for every club) is going to be different than home support.

This isn't the first season it's been like that though is it? It's been like that since the MON days, as soon as the slightest negative thing happens, the fans turn and get on the backs of the players.

Now I'm not saying the fans are to blame for our current predicament, but to dismiss the effects a hostile, negative and unsupportive crowd on young and inexperienced players is ridiculous.

Slightly OT, but when Bannan first broke into the first team, I would say to my brother/dad that I couldn't understand why fans got on his back, he obviously had some talent, but he was so nervous and whenever he did the slightest thing wrong, fans would get on his back and he'd go back into his shell, it's baffling why fans would do that.

Not unique to Villa though is it! Go ask Arsene Wenger.

Edited by pacbuddies

Not unique to Villa, but I'd say Villa fans are the most fickle in the country.

And i'm sure Wenger would be delighted to have a negative atmosphere at Arsenal, at least there would be an atmosphere.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

its a circle though. fans have to lift the team and team have to lift the fans and I think both are failing at the moment at Villa Park if im honest.

I think some Villa fans not just now but over the years seem to have a blinkered opinion that our great history should automatically lead to a great current team, opposition have known for years that an early goal and the fans will get on the teams back. wasnt so long ago the team was booed off opening day of season after losing to Wigan

• Like 1

a concentration of hard core.....no prawn sandwiches to dilute the passion.

Well its quite obvious. We have 3 or 4 thousand away fans compared to 34,000 home fans. The smaller amount who give up more time and more money to follow away are likely to be the more vocal supportive ones.

its a circle though. fans have to lift the team and team have to lift the fans and I think both are failing at the moment at Villa Park if im honest.

I think some Villa fans not just now but over the years seem to have a blinkered opinion that our great history should automatically lead to a great current team, opposition have known for years that an early goal and the fans will get on the teams back. wasnt so long ago the team was booed off opening day of season after losing to Wigan

Oh come on, losing at home to Wigan

They should have been skewered for that!

:D

Not unique to Villa, but I'd say Villa fans are the most fickle in the country.

And i'm sure Wenger would be delighted to have a negative atmosphere at Arsenal, at least there would be an atmosphere.

its not that Villa Fans are particularly fickle they are just reacting to events.....They must have more "false dawns" than the rest of the teams put together

happened at Arsenal this year.....and we know where they are in the league.

And that was an away game where the fans are supposed to be so wonderful!

sorry i meant Arsenal were booed off

sorry i meant Arsenal were booed off

That explains it then. Not just Villa fans that boo like some on here would have you believe.

Well its quite obvious. We have 3 or 4 thousand away fans compared to 34,000 home fans. The smaller amount who give up more time and more money to follow away are likely to be the more vocal supportive ones.

So a more vocal support helps the team produce better results, hey presto!

What i don’t understand is people laud after Laudrup, yet his recent record is not that dissimilar to Lamberts and the current restrictions nobody could say if Laudrup would have done better.

I suppose its a trendy name and rather than actually looking at the facts just spout nonsense.

I think perceived style of football has a lot to do with it. Interestingly style of football is far more important to many fans than it was last season, presumably because there isn't as much ammunition to bash Lambert with when it comes to results. Us playing bad football under Lambert has also become a bit of a thing. We do play some pretty poor football sometimes but it's been blown way out of proportion now.

Edited by Mantis

Hold on a moment.  These forums (and likely a good section of Villa fans) were buoyed by the performance in drawing 2-2 at Liverpool and "looking forward to this kind of football more often".  The very next game and they're booing after 8 minutes.  Frustration at going behind to your rivals, I completely understand... but booing?  It serves no purpose at all and, unfortunately, our fans are among the "best" at doing it.

You can cite poor football over seasons as the reason, sure.  The one thing we actually have the ability to do, though, is support the team.  We have no say over what team the manager picks, how much the owner spends, what formation we play etc. etc.  The ONE thing we can do is actively get behind the players on the pitch and create a better atmosphere for them to play in.

Unfortunately, a vast proportion of our fans don't want to do this.  Because it's "their right" to boo.  You're only contributing to the downward spiral.

• Like 4

Â