Paul Lambert

limpid

As posted earlier, the 8 mill fits perfectly with what HH said before the window. Seems more than possible to me.

Re: selling the club and funds. Don't think we are looking to sell the club. But think the north stand name may well be "sold." Big John's question about the timing and quantity of leaks about it, is a good one. I think the answer lies in changing one assumption. I don't think its true that the club leaks nothing. (Exaggerated statement, I know). I think the club leaks only what will help the club. In this case, the help is to judge any uproar from fans and to prepare the fans with any... "Proud history - so don't change anything" leanings. I think they learned from the MacLeish appointment that nothing the fans wont give much of a chance to, is a good idea.

Information is power. The club recognizes this, and uses it to help the club. Rightly so. No matter how much more I (and VT) would like to know. Leaking the 8 mill figure could hurt the club because it would make it impossible to pay any less.

And finally, Morpheus. I will happily read your posts, whether I agree with them or not. We all know your're a miserable bastard, :) but you're villa to the core. Still hoping to meet you in 2015. I'll buy the first 2 rounds.

• Like 1

As posted earlier, the 8 mill fits perfectly with what HH said before the window. Seems more than possible to me.

Re: selling the club and funds. Don't think we are looking to sell the club. But think the north stand name may well be "sold." Big John's question about the timing and quantity of leaks about it, is a good one. I think the answer lies in changing one assumption. I don't think its true that the club leaks nothing. (Exaggerated statement, I know). I think the club leaks only what will help the club. In this case, the help is to judge any uproar from fans and to prepare the fans with any... "Proud history - so don't change anything" leanings. I think they learned from the MacLeish appointment that nothing the fans wont give much of a chance to, is a good idea.

Information is power. The club recognizes this, and uses it to help the club. Rightly so. No matter how much more I (and VT) would like to know. Leaking the 8 mill figure could hurt the club because it would make it impossible to pay any less.

And finally, Morpheus. I will happily read your posts, whether I agree with them or not. We all know your're a miserable bastard, :) but you're villa to the core. Still hoping to meet you in 2015. I'll buy the first 2 rounds.

The fans did give McLeish a chance though.

We'll just disagree on that then. I remember the crowd outside the gate before his arrival. Of course there were some who gave him a chance, me included. But a large number did not. Anyway, it wasn't my main point.

He hasn't impressed me but if the boards ambition has truly changed then we might as well see what Lambert can do with the extra funds.

I still think something is going on. These stories don't get leaked for a reason, and if Lambert is getting a new deal, more funds from the naming rights why are these stories coming out now? Surely these are end of season stories if they're true or PR guff.

• Like 1

Has he gone yet ?, there's a Swansea shaped hole that's a perfect fit. He can ruin their good football name too

footballpix.jpg

article-1367892-0B3F645000000578-872_638

God football fans are knobs aren't they?  Glad it's not limited to Villa though.

We'll just disagree on that then. I remember the crowd outside the gate before his arrival. Of course there were some who gave him a chance, me included. But a large number did not. Anyway, it wasn't my main point.

Besides those protests before the appointment there was nothing for ages. As Jimzk said, it wasn't until well into 2012 that fans started to get on his back.

Besides those protests before the appointment there was nothing for ages. As Jimzk said, it wasn't until well into 2012 that fans started to get on his back.

So, "besides the protests" that prove my point, I'm wrong. :)

Curiously, If you put aside the "nothing for ages" there were even fewer patiently supportive fans than I assert.

Besides all legitimate evidence my to the contrary, I'm brilliant.

Again, that wasn't my point. Big john thinks there's a reason for these leaks. I agree, I think the club releases and withholds information, in a purposeful manner. I gave my guess about the reason. I welcome comments and disagreement with my hypothesis.

So, "besides the protests" that prove my point, I'm wrong. :)

Curiously, If you put aside the "nothing for ages" there were even fewer patiently supportive fans than I assert.

Besides all legitimate evidence my to the contrary, I'm brilliant.

Again, that wasn't my point. Big john thinks there's a reason for these leaks. I agree, I think the club releases and withholds information, in a purposeful manner. I gave my guess about the reason. I welcome comments and disagreement with my hypothesis.

One protest attended by a few hundred people. You'd think if the fans didn't give McLeish a chance then he would've been booed at his first game at VP, yet he wasn't, quite the opposite in fact. While he may not have been actively supported to the extent Lambert was, fans certainly gave him a chance to prove himself. Unfortunately he didn't and that's why opposition to him started to mount towards him towards the end of the season.

It saddens me that some fans have been taken in by this media myth that Villa fans didn't give McLeish a chance.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

Don't see what posting Prince Andrew's old bed sheets is supposed to prove! ;)

I feel this comment deserves more than a like, as it made me laugh aloud (at work).

Will be very glad if Lambert gets a new contract and a war chest at the end of the season, provided we actually finish above where we did last season. I don't believe in firing managers during the season unless there's a real crisis, but at the end of the season they still need to have produced the goods.

I actually believe it, it also goes along with what the hated "ITK's" stated earlier in the window, and also why they were confident something was coming off. Call me gullible?

To me its a stretch that we had 8m to spend but we only got in two loans and bid reportedly around 1-2m for hoolan and now the window ends and we suddenly leak this story to the biggest local journo for villa. Club thinks they're being very clever but nobody has bought it especially when you look at the replies kendrick got to the article.

maybe we didn't value hoolahan art any more and refused to over pay?

Has he gone yet ?, there's a Swansea shaped hole that's a perfect fit. He can ruin their good football name too

footballpix.jpg

good work, anyone planning on knocking one up for Saturday ?

'we're not fickle, you're just boring us to death' would suffice

Not really, if some of the folks on here had their way he'd still be here doing a respectable job of keeping us hovering above relegation (not on my watch though)

footballpix.jpg

good work, anyone planning on knocking one up for Saturday ?

'we're not fickle, you're just boring us to death' would suffice

Get your crayons out and do it yourself.

• Like 1

I like others don't know if Lambert was backed or not this window. And if he was to what extent. I have a feeling he was again tying to bring in players with limited funds both in terms of fees and wages though and whilst that is the case we can't expect to be anymore than a mid to lower table club at best regardless of who the manager is.

I'd like to see Lambert given significant backing as I have a feeling he would do very well with it. 30 - 40 mill in fees and 200 - 250k a week to spend on 4 or 5 players. Its not Chelsea/Man City/United/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs level funding but I think it would be enough to see us make significant progress under Lambert and get us into the top 8 pushing for top 6. Sadly I don't think we will get to find out if I am right.

If the club doesn't have the money then what can you do?

You can't expect a sugar daddy to just keep pumping money into the club if we can't generate our own income.

You really believe that signing Bertrand and grant Holt on loan is all we can afford?

I suspect the club can afford approx £20m a season in transfers.

Lambert spent approx £16-17m in the summer. This left him with a few mill to try and do something in January.

We got in two players on loan, perhaps paying a modest loan fee for each, he then tried for a cheap attacking mid with the money left over but Norwich wouldn't budge so Lambert will look again in the summer when he gets another £20m to spend.

Â