Buying a new build house

villarule123

They have to build new houses somewhere. They can't all be crap.

My folks bought one a dozen or so years ago from a private builder who'd bought a plot of land and put four houses on it.

Solid little thing, internal walls were all brick.

The builder was local too, so you could knock at his door if there was a problem, which there wasn't.

It's a mystery to me why factory built modules aren't more popular...There's no reason houses can't be constructed off site and plugged in once somebody has selected the spec they want. Other than the public don't want them, they'd rather moan about the poor build quality of something put together outdoors in the mud through the winter.

That is a cracking idea.

It's a mystery to me why factory built modules aren't more popular...There's no reason houses can't be constructed off site and plugged in once somebody has selected the spec they want. Other than the public don't want them, they'd rather moan about the poor build quality of something put together outdoors in the mud through the winter.

That is a cracking idea.

You can do that. Its done that way in many countries.   No idea why its not the norm in this country.

But if you want to build your own house, its the easiest, cheapest & best way to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw they are building some new townhouses in Leamington Spa near the station.  4 bed townhouse for £365,000.  Very tempted and looking at the spec/floor plans it doesn't look like your typical new build.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw they are building some new townhouses in Leamington Spa near the station.  4 bed townhouse for £365,000.  Very tempted and looking at the spec/floor plans it doesn't look like your typical new build.

I have no idea how "near" to the station you mean, but if you can see it, or the track and you don't have a The_Rev level train fetish avoid like the plague. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw they are building some new townhouses in Leamington Spa near the station. 4 bed townhouse for £365,000. Very tempted and looking at the spec/floor plans it doesn't look like your typical new build.

Third of a million for a terraced house near a train station :-o

• 5 months later...

Not really a new build post but looks like me and the Mrs will be moving to the Bucks area after she landed a job there. Good news as it will be easier for me to get to Leamington on the weekends.  Good area to bring up our little one too.  House hunting is so depressing.  She's either going to be working in Windsor (Berkshire) or High Wycombe. £350k doesn't get you a lot round these parts!

• 7 months later...

What are people's views on the potential of Brum city centre for growth?  I've done my research and put an offer in for a place near Broad Street. 2 bed. Seems to me there is quite a bit of potential still left in Birmingham.  Especially with some big companies looking to move their head offices to the city,

We moved into our new build last week. £270k 4 bed 3 story semi in Solihull. You can't buy a 4 bed in this area for that price so I'm optimistic that we're going to make a hefty profit in the next decade as the prices also keep going up nationwide. 

After reading this thread through again  I think we've got lucky. We have a car port with room for at least 2 cars, another can be parked outside the front of the house and our house is on the corner of a cul de sac so there is room down the side of the house if needed. 

The rooms are a very good size, one massive room at the top with an en suite, two double sized rooms for the kids on the middle floor with a office room on the same floor. 

I managed to get flooring and carpet out of them and they've accidently turfed the garden for us when we opted to not pay for it. 

I haven't heard a peep out of the neighbours so far but we've only been in a few days. 

The negatives are that the laminate flooring seems to be a bit disappointing, the walls seem to chip quite easily but they've just been painted and can easily be filled in. 

All things considered I'm pretty pleased so far and this is well beyond any other properties we were looking at before. We thought we were going to have to settle for a 3 bedroom semi with a tiny third bedroom so this was a good opportunity. 

Edited by villarule123
  • Like 2

Looks like my next door neighbour has their apartment on the market for £400k. I'd no idea they'd risen that much in value as I only paid £240k for mine five years ago! I don't know how anyone gets a start these days. £400k for a flat in a grotty part of the outskirts of London is just madness.

20 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

We moved into our new build last week. £270k 4 bed 3 story semi in Solihull. You can't buy a 4 bed in this area for that price so I'm optimistic that we're going to make a hefty profit in the next decade as the prices also keep going up nationwide. 

After reading this thread through again  I think we've got lucky. We have a car port with room for at least 2 cars, another can be parked outside the front of the house and our house is on the corner of a cul de sac so there is room down the side of the house if needed. 

The rooms are a very good size, one massive room at the top with an en suite, two double sized rooms for the kids on the middle floor with a office room on the same floor. 

I managed to get flooring and carpet out of them and they've accidently turfed the garden for us when we opted to not pay for it. 

I haven't heard a peep out of the neighbours so far but we've only been in a few days. 

The negatives are that the laminate flooring seems to be a bit disappointing, the walls seem to chip quite easily but they've just been painted and can easily be filled in. 

All things considered I'm pretty pleased so far and this is well beyond any other properties we were looking at before. We thought we were going to have to settle for a 3 bedroom semi with a tiny third bedroom so this was a good opportunity. 

And your internet is shit :D

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, choffer said:

Looks like my next door neighbour has their apartment on the market for £400k. I'd no idea they'd risen that much in value as I only paid £240k for mine five years ago! I don't know how anyone gets a start these days. £400k for a flat in a grotty part of the outskirts of London is just madness.

I read on the news the other day that house prices will go up by 50% in the next 10 years. I really fear for my kid's futures. We're already saving for them to get a head start but £20k in 15 years time will probably be nothing. 

At least when the prices go up my mortgage won't look so big! 

Â