Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

2 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Spain, Italy, England, Germany and France in the same half of the draw!

potentially Portugal as well

though in fairness it does open the other side up really and lets somebody else in with a shout

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Outstanding save from the NI keeper. They needed to lose by less than 4-0 and McGovern is the difference between them achieving that and not, brilliant performance.

free agent apparently, could be worth a gamble

maybe this has already been discussed or i am missing something obvious but...

why is Italy versus Spain already set in stone? why have certain group winners already arbitrarily been set to play certain group runners up when other group winners could play any old 3rd place team?

wouldn't it make more sense to have the best performing group winner playing the worst performing third place team and so on, so that the worst performing group winners ended up playing some second placed teams? This could all be decided after the group games have finished as awhole

As it is now, you could end up with a situation where Italy get max points from their group but have to play a second place team, when other group winners who have dropped points end up playing third placed teams on a system decided by chance

as stated i could have missed something obvious in the structure of the tournament, but i cant quite get my head round it

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, slowandlow said:

maybe this has already been discussed or i am missing something obvious but...

why is Italy versus Spain already set in stone? why have certain group winners already arbitrarily been set to play certain group runners up when other group winners could play any old 3rd place team?

wouldn't it make more sense to have the best performing group winner playing the worst performing third place team and so on, so that the worst performing group winners ended up playing some second placed teams? This could all be decided after the group games have finished as awhole

As it is now, you could end up with a situation where Italy get max points from their group but have to play a second place team, when other group winners who have dropped points end up playing third placed teams on a system decided by chance

as stated i could have missed something obvious in the structure of the tournament, but i cant quite get my head round it

It is very random and when has common sense ever made an appearance in Football?!

Italy only team in tournament who could still win 3/3 in group stages, they should certainly be playing a weak 3rd place team in next round.

Personally, I'm against seeding of groups and knockouts.

Balls in a hat and take your chances. So much better. Just beat the team in front of you, not try and protect the rankings of the ones at the top.

I say this as a supporter of a team that topped their group. So there is no self interest here.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, villanwesty88 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36597970 video of it here! No idea what was said, my Portuguese is limited to about 3 words. 

He isn't thou.
It's only because it was that particular TV channel, CMTV;
They are the ****tiest most disgusting piece of media that we have here, they do nothing besides make stuff up and once in an interview (after or pre-game, I don't remember), he refused to answer a question from them and said he would never speak to them again;

It kinda became a meme for awhile, people outside the stadiums would go to them after the games, wait for the reporter to ask them something and then answer like Ronaldo did "I don't speak to CMTV" and walk away.;

This reporter knew Ronaldo wouldn't answer his question, he did it to provoke a reaction like this. He got what he wanted, but I think Ronaldo did well.;

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

free agent apparently, could be worth a gamble

I wouldn't sign anyone based on international performances. They too often have no relation to how the player will perform week in / week out. 

How often has Sanchez looked good for Columbia?

As crap as England were he other night, I'd strongly fancy us to beat this Portuguese side. The defensive is absolutely shocking. 

Â