Tom Cleverley

Bunnski

You never boo your own... It's funny Delph gives the ball away to Remy, he did the same against Liverpool, it's ok Delph we like you. Cleverley gets blasted for passing to his own player. 

With all due respect, Delph just committed his long term future to the club and had one bad game, Cleverley didn't even want to come here and has been woeful all season.

The booing is entirely understandable, I can't wait 'til he's out of here

• Like 4

In the interview, Lambert agreed that his performances weren't up to scratch. He said that Cleveley shows a decent amount of confidence in terms of wanting the ball but should be more positive in his play. He even acknowledged that he gave the ball away too much v Chelsea. Given our bench, noting that Sanchez has had 2/3 utter mares interspersed by decent games, it's not like we have Iniesta on the bench itching to start...what do people expect?

If any manager were as kneejerk as most fans, there would never be a settled team and players would never be given a chance to turn form around.

You never boo your own... It's funny Delph gives the ball away to Remy, he did the same against Liverpool, it's ok Delph we like you. Cleverley gets blasted for passing to his own player. 

With all due respect, Delph just committed his long term future to the club and had one bad game, Cleverley didn't even want to come here and has been woeful all season.

The booing is entirely understandable, I can't wait 'til he's out of here

Then why is he here? If he didn't want to, he could have easily done a Ricky Lambert but decided to come, whether that is just for this season then so be it. But while he puts on the shirt whether we like it or not, we should support him, not boo him, completely ridiculous IMO.

• Like 1

If Lambert really is liking what he is seeing from Cleverley then its no surprise we are where we are really.

Or its a manager who has just seen a player booed by his own fans, sticking up for his player which is to be expected.

But still plays him every week and thus really must like what he's seeing?

If Lambert really is liking what he is seeing from Cleverley then its no surprise we are where we are really.

Or its a manager who has just seen a player booed by his own fans, sticking up for his player which is to be expected.

But still plays him every week and thus really must like what he's seeing?

He's seeing the same as all our midfieders do the same thing. Get it pass it backwards and sideways, repeat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2945912/Paul-Lambert-insists-Aston-Villa-no-obligation-play-Tom-Cleverley.html

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has confirmed there is no clause making him play Tom Cleverley after the on-loan midfielder's substitution against Chelsea was greeted with ironic cheers by sections of supporters.

Lambert believes Cleverley, on a season-long loan from Manchester United, is 'trying too hard' but has backed the player to win frustrated fans over.
Cleverley, whose second-half substitution in the 2-1 loss to Chelsea was once again cheered, is no stranger to incurring the wrath of supporters.

He closed his Twitter account after suffering abuse from United fans, while an online petition was set up last year calling for him to be banned from England's World Cup squad.
Cleveley subsequently missed out on a place - yet the petition came in for criticism from Three Lions manager Roy Hodgson.
Lambert said: 'Tom is one of these guys who never hides from the ball. I never criticise anybody for looking for the ball if they make a mistake.
'As long as you don’t hide - and Tom never hides.
'He gives it everything he has got, everything to try and do well. He wants to do well here and sometimes that is part and parcel of football. It is not nice to hear.
'There was a wee spell where he had one or two he gave way in quick succession; other than that he had a decent game especially in the second half.

'Tom has played in massive games, he is no novice. Confidence goes when you don’ t want to take the ball.
'He has got confidence, it is nothing to do with hiding from the ball, the boy takes the ball and gives everything he has got.
'I don’t think it is that. he may be trying too hard which can go against you. He keeps on going with the ball and that is a big testament for him that he keeps doing it.
'He did ok on Saturday.'
Two of Villa's other central midfielders, Ashley Westwood and Carlos Sanchez, have both found themselves out of Lambert's team in recent weeks.

It has raised questions over whether the player may have had to be played every week as part of his loan terms.
But Lambert insisted he was under no pressure to play the England international as part of the deal which brought him from Old Trafford to Villa Park for the campaign.
'No, I don’t judge whether somebody is on loan,' he said. 'You try and pick a team you think will win a game.
'I don’t pick it through [anything else]. That is nowhere near [the mark].'

In the interview, Lambert agreed that his performances weren't up to scratch. He said that Cleveley shows a decent amount of confidence in terms of wanting the ball but should be more positive in his play. He even acknowledged that he gave the ball away too much v Chelsea. Given our bench, noting that Sanchez has had 2/3 utter mares interspersed by decent games, it's not like we have Iniesta on the bench itching to start...what do people expect?

If any manager were as kneejerk as most fans, there would never be a settled team and players would never be given a chance to turn form around.

My recollection is that Sanchez had perhaps 3 very poor games right at the beginning, and since then has been improving so much so that he was our best midfielder.

He did have a terrible game against City, but that should be seen as a one off. Should not have been benched, plenty of our players have had a run of consistently poor games, but still being picked.

Edited by AntrimBlack

My recollection is that Sanchez had perhaps 3 very poor games right at the beginning, and since then has been improving so much so that he was our best midfielder.

He did have a terrible game against City, but that should be seen as a one off. Should not have been benched, plenty of our players have had a run of consistently poor games, but still being picked.

Arsenal.

Arsenal.

It's my age !  :blush:

Its hardly 'a kneejerk reaction'.....Cleverley has been dross in every game he has played (and he has played in most of them)!....at what stage should we react then?......I know, we will react when he goes to Everton in the summer!

• Like 1

I don't think Lambert would admit to there being such a clause in any case as it would reflect badly on us and would be giving opposition managers too much information.

'Too much information'?.....they already know that we are shit and Cleverley offers nothing to make us better!

"He [Cleverley] is one of those guys who never hides from the ball." - Lambert

:crylaugh: :crylaugh: :crylaugh:

also this quote from Lambert:-

He (Cleverley) is 'trying too hard' but has backed the player to win frustrated fans over.

:D

like that is ever going to happen specially with Cleverley not looking interested since he arrived here and wants to move to Everton in the summer and set his heart on Everton all along :) So how exactly is he going to win frustrated fans over :)

Edited by Villan4Life

In Lambert's defence, he's picked 3 central midfielders all season. To start with I think it was fair enough to give Cleverley the place with Delph and Westwood instead of Sanchez as he's more used to Premier League football and we had to give him a chance while Carlos settled. Then Delph got injured for quite a while which meant Westwood, Sanchez and Cleverley played, then Delph got banned and Westood missed about a month through injury and Delph got injured again. There hasn't been that much of the season where they have all been available, Cleverley has been the one that's constantly been fit. He's obviously been a crushing disappointment but he's kind of had to be picked unless we went 4-4-2, but we don't really have the players for that. Cole would have been a nice alternative option but again, that's not worked out. I hope Gil moves to the tip of the 3 in midfield from now on with Delph and one of Westwood and Sanchez behind him, so Cleverley can sit it out until his loan finishes.

• Like 1

like that is ever going to happen specially with Cleverley not looking interested since he arrived here and wants to move to Everton in the summer and set his heart on Everton all along :) So how exactly is he going to win frustrated fans over :)

To be fair, I wouldn't say that he doesn't look interested. He projects the impression of someone trying their best, he just seems to lack any confidence or ambition on the ball.

Â