Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

I think Hodgson does have us heading in the right direction, all be it quite vaguely. 

There aren't many people who were complaining about his team selections before the games against Italy and Uruguay. People really should evaluate actual ability of the team before criticising Hodgson too much. In my opinion,  the 2 centre backs let us down slightly in both games, yet there were no realistic alternatives. The pair of them should know how to pick up opposition strikers without Hodgson having to spoon feed them advice. For me, there are very few star players in this team and I think Hodgson did a good job getting them to the World Cup in the first place. The media may hype them up, but the likes of Sterling, Barkley and Wellbeck are scarcely good enough to hold down regular spots in their own sides, let alone an international team with World cup ambitions. With this in mind, I think we've performed perhaps even more admirably than in recent World Cups, certainly when you factor in the ability of the players.

Basically my opinion of it.

It's like Hodgson has got us pointing in the right direction but hasn't got the power to get us there.

I don't necessarily think a new manager would be a bad thing, but it would be very very easy, at this stage, to appoint the wrong person who'd turn the ship back round.

Indeed, there aren't many managers who'd have done a better job with that squad of players. Perhaps one of the world's most elite managers could have dragged them through the group kicking and screaming, but I suspect even Mourinho would have hit a brick wall as soon as we came up against a side with real ambitions to win the trophy.

Thing is one of the same old managers probably could have taken a squad of players that would have beaten Uruguay. Maybe a team of Ashley Young's and Stewart Downing's (not ACTUALLY them but you take my point) could have gotten through.

But then when we went out at the quarter finals or whatever everyone would be saying "why don't we just use the youth and try and change where England are going"

That's what Roy did.

Yeah it's a good point; changing the manager now would render this world cup completely pointless. Let the man continue with what he's started and give him a chance to see the project through, after all, it's barely just begun.

Exactly. And if you do sack him it's crucial that a manager with a similar philosophy is employed, otherwise we're back to square one.

I think most people would agree with the direction Roy is taking the team in terms of squad and teams. Just maybe his tactics and motivational skills let him down.

Exactly. And if you do sack him it's crucial that a manager with a similar philosophy is employed, otherwise we're back to square one.

I think most people would agree with the direction Roy is taking the team in terms of squad and teams. Just maybe his tactics and motivational skills let him down.

I'm not for sacking him particularly, however that squad picked itself. I can't imagine any fans squad would be vastly different, or the players that started the games (some may have started Lallana, Barkley or Ox instead of the shocking Welbeck). Is there any players sat at home that we could have brought in that would have made the difference?

The part an international manager should be getting right is the tactics and motivation as you're stuck with the players you have, as we've seen with Chile, Costa Rica, USA,  Ghana vs Germany, Mexico v Brazil, even Iran almost nicking a point against Argentina you don't have to have the best squad man to man to get results.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, a manager that actually picks the squad that "picks itself" is a rarity  for England.

Plenty of other managers would have filled the team with Cleverleys, Youngs, Carrols etc for this world cup

I'm not for sacking him particularly, however that squad picked itself. I can't imagine any fans squad would be vastly different, or the players that started the games (some may have started Lallana, Barkley or Ox instead of the shocking Welbeck). Is there any players sat at home that we could have brought in that would have made the difference?

The part an international manager should be getting right is the tactics and motivation as you're stuck with the players you have, as we've seen with Chile, Costa Rica, USA,  Ghana vs Germany, Mexico v Brazil, even Iran almost nicking a point against Argentina you don't have to have the best squad man to man to get results.

What you're talking about is a manager being able to upset the odds. Now i'm not disputing that that is what we needed, and i do agree with much of what you're saying, but you can't expect a manager to perform miracles. You can hope... but you shouldn't expect your team to perform better than they normally would do. Sure, in every competition there will be teams that perform above and beyond their ability, and England weren't one of them this time. But the performances were atleast satisfactory for a team of reasonably average players.

A little bit like with Villa, you're asking too much of any manager if you're expecting any significant success.

It is quite difficult to get the head around, Gerrard, Henderson, Johnson, Sturridge and Sterling all played regularly in the side that finished second in "the best league in the world" TM, Hart and Milner won the league, Cahill played a huge part in Chelsea's challenge, and Baines, Barkley, Lallana and Shaw have been lauded all season. They should be better than average players. Maybe the Premier League isn't as strong as it's made out to be.

Actually, should milner have been given more of a role?

It is quite difficult to get the head around, Gerrard, Henderson, Johnson, Sturridge and Sterling all played regularly in the side that finished second in "the best league in the world" TM, Hart and Milner won the league, Cahill played a huge part in Chelsea's challenge, and Baines, Barkley, Lallana and Shaw have been lauded all season. They should be better than average players. Maybe the Premier League isn't as strong as it's made out to be.

Don't know, van Persie seems to be enjoying himself this WC.

Not to mention a certain buck-toothed Uruguayan.

Edited by legov
  • Like 3

You could say the same about La Liga

Edited by Xela

These players are all good player for their respective teams but they are complimented by better players e.g. Suarez, Coutiniho.

We are always lacking that bit of a extra quality needed.

am i the only one who thinks that squad selection is a bit of a safety net for roy? isnt confident we will get a result so names a much changed squad, if we lose the "experimental squad" excuses will be out rather than facing the embarrassment that it is