Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

Personally I'd love to see Lallana, Sterling and the Ox behind Sturridge. It won't happen, but we'd two natural wide players (not wingers) and our biggest threat gets his best position through the middle. 

I honestly think Hodgson hasn't got the power to drop Rooney, hence why he played out wide. For a long time I've believed the FA are in complete control, either that or some other higher power is above the manager.

• Like 3

I thought England were fairly decent and slightly better than expected.

Someone failed to do their job when Italy scored their opener but there was no denying the exhilarating quality of England's equaliser.

Rooney made a decent contribution but all too often the sort of balls he was getting, asked rather too much of him, and as usual his mistakes tended to obscure the things he did well. 

Italy were better and mostly in the brains department; summed up by the differing way Pirlo and Gerrard used the ball.

Pirlo played neat percentage balls, which were easy for his colleagues to control, while Gerrard, played too many over-ambitious fifty-yard balls, and hit too many passes which were hard to control.

Gerrard was gurning with distress after thirty minutes; Pirlo looked in control to the very end.

England should have had a penalty when Gerrard was barged over.

In the end England enjoyed a lot more possession than I expected but Italy produced a few more moments of quality, and were brutal when they needed to be.

Sterling was great.

The team performance was better than expected, which made the result disappointing.

• Like 3

Roy's interview: Wayne isn't being dropped anytime soon.

Is that really what he said? I honestly don't think it is up to him as to whether or not he gets dropped.

As our Manager, I hope the decision is only up to him! 

Cant argue with much being said here, Drat, NV and Stevo in particular.

Maybe we should do a Google hangouts for games, just have time even? Would be some good debate.

Cheers mate.  I don't really know what a Google hangout is, or how to tee one up, but I'd join in!

Is that really what he said? I honestly don't think it is up to him as to whether or not he gets dropped.

With huge sponsors like Nike for example, I really wouldn't be surprised if there were certain things put to him by the FA that he cannot do or change. 

Although we lost, i think there cause for optimism. We looked good on the break for once and actually looked threatening.

We could have done with a bit more experience in the back line (Cole and Terry) but nothing can be done about that now!

Rooney if he plays, should play at number 10. Sterling can play wide as he has the pace to beat the full backs. Barkley looked assured when he came and Welbeck played well. Against Uruguay i'd play Gerrard, Henderson and Wilshere in midfield, Sterling with a free role and Rooney off Strurridge.

• Like 1

With huge sponsors like Nike for example, I really wouldn't be surprised if there were certain things put to him by the FA that he cannot do or change. 

I hope not! The day football teams are picked by sponsors is the day i'm out! 

baines was so frigging awful, but i thought there was a real energy to the side that we ahve not seen in a while. sterling was best player by a mile.

in my view i agree with drat gerrards past it and should do the right thing and step aside afterwards. rooney was pants as well in my view, guy doesnt do it for england like he does for united

France '98 says hi
  • Like 1

I'm sure similar things happen all over the world, Neymar joining Barcelona for example is widely speculated as a move made not just for Barca but also for Nike. I really wouldn't put it past the FA, corrupt buggers.

Not a massive fan of Milner like some on here but I think he should of played down the left last night. it would have given cover for Baines and I don't think the 2nd goal would have happened...

• Like 1

France '98 says hi

Yep, many rumours surround Ronaldo and that final, in fact even around that time Nike apparently had a deal where Brazil had to field their 'best team' in every friendly game.

Rooney won't be getting dropped any time soon IMO.

The part that is frustrating is whenever Gerrard has come up against Pirlo at any level he has been shown to not be in the same league (Benitez moved Gerrard to RB in Istanbul as he realised that he was easily being outperformed!). Good old Woy blindly said you do your best Stevie and lo an behold Pirlo runs the game.

FWIW I think Woy can and probably will name the same XI v Uruguay particularly given his comments last night. If Suarez doesn't play they are shit, if he does then we should get at least a draw with a win against Costa Rica most likely sending us through on 4 points. I just hope last night made even the most optimistic person realise that England will not be winning this tournament

Talk about revisionism.

baines was so frigging awful, but i thought there was a real energy to the side that we ahve not seen in a while. sterling was best player by a mile.

in my view i agree with drat gerrards past it and should do the right thing and step aside afterwards. rooney was pants as well in my view, guy doesnt do it for england like he does for united

Baines is not a good defender though and neither is Johnson. I actually think Hodgson was a little bit too attacking.... Joe Hart had very little to do in the whole apart from pick the ball out of his net twice... We had by far the better chances so i feel really dissapointed we lost this game... 

We could go through with a draw and a win but I think we really do need to win against Uruguay. So its up to Roy to pick a balanced team that wins the match, with or without Rooney...Tough call for him. A bit like 66 and Sir Alf with Greaves except Greaves was most definately not past his best in 66 and I think Scholes is right about Rooney...

England's defence is poor, Baines and Johnson can't defend, with Johnson in particular being a pretty poor player. Jagielka has no pace, and Cahill a bit overrated. On top of that Joe Hart always has a clanger in his locker.

Woy needs to balance things out properly, Rooney on the left leaves the defensively weak Baines more exposed, Rooney really needs to play through the middle if you want to get both the 'best' out of him and not weaken the rest of the team. 

Personally, Gerrard is a liability that needs to be dropped, Rooney should be dropped as well, push Sterling into a wider position and play Ross Barkley off Sturridge. Barkley is a prodigy that really needs to be played from the start and given the freedom to do what he wants. 

It's a shame Roy didnt pick Cole, could of done switching him with Baines last night.

I thought they played well, Rooney had an average game and was over shadowed by Sterling and the other attackers. 

Next game I would start Barkley for Henderson, drop Rooney and play Lallana or the OX on the left.