Roy Keane

TrentVilla

Do not know how this will go, obviously hoping for the best, but I am assuming that he will be coach - is that correct?

Does anyone know, if so, if he has coached before, as opposed to managing, and, as such, what he was like?

I say this, because, although he has managed before, we know that some managers do very little coaching.

Roy Keane favourite for Aston Villa job after coming in as Paul Lambert's assistant

Roy Keane has been named assistant to Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert

Keane is 13/5 favourite to be the next permanent boss

David Moyes and Jurgen Klinsmann also near the head of the betting

Villa finished 15th in the Premier League last season

Bookies reckon Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert should be looking over his shoulder after his new No 2, Roy Keane, was installed as favourite to be the club's next permanent boss.

Keane will join forces with Lambert while continuing to work as assistant to Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill.

Former Sunderland and Ipswich manager Keane linked up with O'Neill in November and is now returning to club football at Villa Park.

Villa players return for pre-season on Monday and will be expected to achieve a higher finish than the 15th place they managed last year.

article-2677696-1E6DB29B00000578-502_634

+4

Club man: Roy Keane returns to the Premier League as No 2 to Paul Lambert at Aston Villa

article-2677696-1D612F4D00000578-863_634

+4

Hot seat: Lambert has been Aston Villa manager since June 2012 but had a disappointing last season

Next permanent Aston Villa manager

13/5 Roy Keane,  4/1 David Moyes, Jurgen Klinsmann, 6/1 Roberto Di Matteo, 10/1 Malky Mackay, 12/1 Tim Sherwood, 14/1 Neil Lennon, 20/1 Michael Laudrup

Lambert's future was in doubt as they flirted with the relegation places for much of the campaign and David Moyes, sacked by Manchester United with four games left, was favourite to replace his fellow Scot.

But Paddy Power now have Keane at 13/5 with Moyes and USA boss Jurgen Klinsmann next in the market at 4/1.

Lambert, who had his coaching staff significantly depleted last season when assistant Ian Culverhouse and football operations manager Gary Karsa were suspended and then sacked for unspecified disciplinary reasons, has welcomed Keane to the Midlands.

He said: ''Roy has a great knowledge of football, on the coaching side as well, and he'll be a great asset and a big help to everybody here at Aston Villa Football Club. 

'I'm really looking forward to working with him and I'm delighted that he's here.

article-2677696-1E54764000000578-557_634

+4

Two jobs: Keane will continue to work with Martin O'Neill in the Republic of Ireland set-up

'As a player, he was one of the most accomplished in the history of the Barclays Premier League and he's brought that experience gained over many years into his career in coaching and management. The players will love working with him.

'Although we never played together, we competed against one another and he's someone for whom I have a lot of time and respect. He has worked under some great managers, some of the most successful in the game, and he'll be a great help to myself as well.

'Roy brought Sunderland up out of the Championship and into the Premier League, he gained further experience at Ipswich - where we were close rivals while I was manager at Norwich - and he's now working at international level as assistant manager with the Republic of Ireland.

'All of that experience and knowledge along with the qualities he has as a longstanding, leading professional in the game means he will bring a lot to the table. We're delighted to have him here.'

article-2677696-1F51369000000578-285_634
  • SHARE PICTURE
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

+4

Man of the moment: Jurgen Klinsmann, 4/1 for the Villa job, impressed with the USA at the World Cup

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2677696/Roy-Keane-favourite-Aston-Villa-job-coming-Paul-Lamberts-assistant.html#ixzz36IwDBxZQ 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

I'd read somewhere that the whole idea of Keane and Lambert being big buddies has been overplayed and that the decision to bring Keane to the club was made by somebody above Lambert.

I'd read somewhere that the whole idea of Keane and Lambert being big buddies has been overplayed and that the decision to bring Keane to the club was made by somebody above Lambert.

Wherever you read it, trust me it's wrong.

• Like 1

Wherever you read it, trust me it's wrong.

Alright, thanks. I think I remember who said it but I'm not completely sure so don't really want to put words into their mouth.

I'm sure they'll make a good team, as tough as it's going to be.

Edited by useless

The whole "Keane becoming next Villa manager" thing is such a lazy link. All it's based on is the perception that Lambert is close to losing his job and the fact that there have been a few assistant managers taking charge of clubs recently.

• Like 3

As an assistant, I really have no idea what to make of it. I just can't see our "young" team liking having someone shout and rip into their every mistake. I want our players to be encouraged to play football, not scared too. 

Edited by PieFacE

I can't see Keane ever being manager on a long term basis. Maybe caretaker manager for a few games if Lambert is ever sacked or walks.

The 4-1 for Klinsmann is a joke. Should be 4000-1

As an assistant, I really have no idea what to make of it. I just can't see our "young" team liking having someone shout and rip into their every mistake. I want our players to be encouraged to play football, not scared too. 

Gardner seems to be excited about it.

Gary Gardner hopes he can flourish as a top-flight midfielder with the help of new assistant manager Roy Keane.

The appointment of Keane as Paul Lambert's new No.2 was confirmed yesterday.

And news of the Man Utd legend's arrival was greeted positively by Gardner.

The 22-year-old believes he can learn plenty from Keane, who is considered one of the greatest players of the Premier League era.

"Roy is someone who really doesn't need an introduction because he has proved what he is all about," said Gardner.

"He was a hard tackling midfielder, a very vocal player and a great person to have on your side.

"As a central midfielder myself, it is amazing to have someone like him here and hopefully he can help as much as possible.

"To have someone like that to listen to and to take on board their advice is a dream.

"In that famous Man Utd team he was a key player and a skipper. All of his games against Patrick Vieira were fun to watch.

"That's what football is all about. As a kid that's what made me love football."

Gardner is confident Keane will have the desired impact at Villa, having heard team-mate Ciaran Clark speak glowingly about him.

"Ciaran has worked with Roy with the Republic of Ireland and he said he is brilliant," added Gardner.

"I couldn't pick anyone better to learn from - he is simply a midfield legend with such great passion for the game."

Edited by packoman

Â