our soul

Mic09

A new stadium and a team called Red Bull Aston Villa is literally the last thing I would want. It's not the same club, it's a re-branding exercise of a footballing institution. You're taking away the essence of the club and turning it into a subsidiary of Red Bull.

**** that. I'm always staggered by how many people want it/would be happy with it if it happened.

It always staggers me that there are people who make a big deal over what the official stadium name is.

But hey-ho...

I'd say paying like 40m the first year, then an average of 45m every summer won't be changing the identity of the club, If we could pay the wages too, We won't be a new Man City or Chelsea. And we would have a good chance of pushing on.

Ofcourse without changing the name or the stadium.

I don't see how we'd be the same club. Are the Indianapolis Colts really the Baltimore Colts? Once you change the name, the colours and potentially where the stadium is located, you become a new team.

I would feel free not to support this new team - indeed, I would passionately despise it, as the team that ended the existence of Aston Villa.

I know nothing of NFL but looking it up, that is hardly a relevent example. Someone like Red Bull taking over doesn't involve relocation and the creation of a new franchise. All it involves is a charge of shirt colour and renaming of the stadium.

Well, to be fair, the post I was replying to talked about changing the name of the team as well. If Aston Villa were bought, and the team that started next season in place of Aston Villa were called Birmingham R** B**** and they played at R** B*** Park, B6, in their particular corporate colours, then no, I wouldn't regard that as the same team at all, and I wouldn't support them.

I'm not sure where people get this idea that it would change to 'Red Bull Birmingham' to be honest. With every other team they have taken over, they keep the general name but add 'Red Bull' before it. So if they had their way it would be 'Red Bull Aston Villa' here which isn't really a change of name but just the insertion of a sponsors' name before it. Obviously though, league rules here would never allow that here so at most it would be 'RB Aston Villa' just as they've done with Leipzig.

Now I don't know about you but having two new letters preceding our pre-existing name wouldn't be anywhere near enough for me to relinquish my support of the club. In fact, I doubt I'd barely notice.

A new stadium and a team called Red Bull Aston Villa is literally the last thing I would want.  It's not the same club, it's a re-branding exercise of a footballing institution.  You're taking away the essence of the club and turning it into a subsidiary of Red Bull.

**** that.  I'm always staggered by how many people want it/would be happy with it if it happened.

Brand sponsorship is just part of the modern world. Don't see why it shouldn't apply to football clubs although isn't it unlikely that the FA would allow such a name change?

im sure Wimbledon fans would agree with you on the FA stance on this

I think if the Premier League were going to accept branding of club names then Mr Ashley would own SportsDirect.NewcastleUnited???

With regards to being an Sheiks plaything Mansour said something interesting with regard to FFP. He basically how is him funding his club with his own money unfair when there are clubs paid for with borrowed money giving them huge debts and the turnover covers the payment of interest charges only? I can kind of understand what he means? 

Here's some great Birmingham Soul for ya!

It even got something we lack, a Plan B

Aren't they from Wolvo?

Well at least Rowland is, but i still think you can call them a Birmingham band?

Aren't they from Wolvo?

Well at least Rowland is, but i still think you can call them a Birmingham band?

Yow cor say it's Brummagem!

• Like 2

im sure Wimbledon fans would agree with you on the FA stance on this

As has already been said, the MK Dons just took Wimbledon's place in the league but are a completely new francise. Wimbledon themselves were liquidated.

If the FA rejected the 'Hull Tigers' proposal, then they will certainly reject something like 'Red Bull Aston Villa'.

Everyone follows the club for a different reason. And by the same token everyone supports the club in different ways and has different expectations. For me I do feel something would be lost if we were just some Sheiks plaything. I like our history, our ground, the fact we have won stuff (albeit a long time ago, mostly) the fact the people see us as one of the big football institutions. The fact we are seen to do things "the right way" I am not really fussed about "success" as I haven't really seen much of it in the 45 years or so I have been a supporter. What is "success" anyway. It's all relative. There is a lot to be proud of at our club. And I for one don't really feel the need to feel I am supporting a team that is constantly winning stuff. Maybe I am in a minority of one in that regard.

So for me while I understand the need for a financial behemoth to own our club if we want to be challenging for the big prize I am not too bothered if that doesn't happen. As long as  every now and then we have a few years of relative good fortune I am happy. Must be easily pleased I guess!

I really do not understand this post at all !

You haven't seen much success in 45 years ?

You have seen us win every trophy going (except the holy grail)

If you weren't that fussed about the success of winning the League, the European Cup, the Super Cup, the League Cup at least 4 times, and if you don't long and ache for those moments again, if the memories and the glory of those days and nights aren't like vivid memories that feel like the happened only yesterday, so much so that you can still taste them, then maybe you should take up following another sport.  

• Like 2

in a perfect world it would be great to win with a team of kids from the academy and a few players brought in but lets be honest if we were brought out and ended up like chelsea or man city. we wouldnt complain

Our history in the game is fantastic and something to be proud of, but that is what it is now... History. We have quickly been forgotten about by everyone else in the game and have become insignificant. We need to move forward and create a future now with new chapters to add to our history. It is fine to celebrate the past success, as lots of teams have had none, but what would be better if current and future success.

Everyone follows the club for a different reason. And by the same token everyone supports the club in different ways and has different expectations. For me I do feel something would be lost if we were just some Sheiks plaything. I like our history, our ground, the fact we have won stuff (albeit a long time ago, mostly) the fact the people see us as one of the big football institutions. The fact we are seen to do things "the right way" I am not really fussed about "success" as I haven't really seen much of it in the 45 years or so I have been a supporter. What is "success" anyway. It's all relative. There is a lot to be proud of at our club. And I for one don't really feel the need to feel I am supporting a team that is constantly winning stuff. Maybe I am in a minority of one in that regard.

So for me while I understand the need for a financial behemoth to own our club if we want to be challenging for the big prize I am not too bothered if that doesn't happen. As long as  every now and then we have a few years of relative good fortune I am happy. Must be easily pleased I guess!

I really do not understand this post at all !

You haven't seen much success in 45 years ?

You have seen us win every trophy going (except the holy grail)

If you weren't that fussed about the success of winning the League, the European Cup, the Super Cup, the League Cup at least 4 times, and if you don't long and ache for those moments again, if the memories and the glory of those days and nights aren't like vivid memories that feel like the happened only yesterday, so much so that you can still taste them, then maybe you should take up following another sport.  

Yes I have seen us win stuff. But if you actually look at it thats only really 6 seasons out of 45. Not exactly a lot in terms of continued success. Just the odd blip in a sea of mediocrity really. 

And yes the memories are fantastic but they are just that. Memories. I was very much fussed at the time and it was great to see but right now I don't feel the urge that some seem to to have to follow a "successful" club.

Maybe it's because I have seen us win most things I don't have the same outlook as a younger fan who hasn't. If we get taken over then great. But like I have said in another thread. If it happens it won't make me love the club any more. If it doesn't I won't stop supporting them. I am proud to be a Villa fan and always will be whatever division we are in. Bearing in mind we was in the 3rd when I started supporting them (Thats league 1 for our younger viewers  ;) ) And one of the best seasons I had following the Villa was the second division season with GT. 

Couldn't agree more with TrinitySteps.

Have you seen how they celebrated goals at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, and The Emirates ?

With as much enthusiasm as I celebrate my morning cup of tea.

I was chatting to a Liverpool fan the other day about the night we destroyed them at Villa Park with the best first half of football you will see.  He remembered it, but had no such feelings about any of their million 5-1 wins.and struggled to talk with anywhere near the enthusiasm I had for that long ago noght about even their recent CL victory.............who was the richer fan ?

• Like 2

Aren't they from Wolvo?

Rowley Regis, I thought

Couldn't agree more with TrinitySteps.

Have you seen how they celebrated goals at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, and The Emirates ?

With as much enthusiasm as I celebrate my morning cup of tea.

I was chatting to a Liverpool fan the other day about the night we destroyed them at Villa Park with the best first half of football you will see.  He remembered it, but had no such feelings about any of their million 5-1 wins.and struggled to talk with anywhere near the enthusiasm I had for that long ago noght about even their recent CL victory.............who was the richer fan ?

I was there that night and the wife won a portable tv on the raffle at the aston social club.....some night that.

Owners learned very quickly that whatever you do, the fans will keep coming. Even if you change the colour of the team and badge, it doesnt matter. The only "protest" owners care about would be fans not turning up which never happens. What did we get last season from the Toon? A walkout on 69 minutes. Yet those same idiots paid for tickets so why would the owner give a toss? He probably laughed at them. Ironically, the "hardcore" fans who turn up every week allow the owners to do what they like despite being the fans most affected by the crazy, disrespectful decisions they make.

As for souls? Done make me laugh.

I don't see how we'd be the same club. Are the Indianapolis Colts really the Baltimore Colts? Once you change the name, the colours and potentially where the stadium is located, you become a new team.

I would feel free not to support this new team - indeed, I would passionately despise it, as the team that ended the existence of Aston Villa.

I know nothing of NFL but looking it up, that is hardly a relevent example. Someone like Red Bull taking over doesn't involve relocation and the creation of a new franchise. All it involves is a charge of shirt colour and renaming of the stadium.

Well, to be fair, the post I was replying to talked about changing the name of the team as well. If Aston Villa were bought, and the team that started next season in place of Aston Villa were called Birmingham R** B**** and they played at R** B*** Park, B6, in their particular corporate colours, then no, I wouldn't regard that as the same team at all, and I wouldn't support them.

I'm not sure where people get this idea that it would change to 'Red Bull Birmingham' to be honest. With every other team they have taken over, they keep the general name but add 'Red Bull' before it. So if they had their way it would be 'Red Bull Aston Villa' which isn't really a change of name but just the insertion of a sponsors' name before it. Obviously though, league rules would never allow that here so at most it would be 'RB Aston Villa' just as they've done with Leipzig.

Now I don't know about you but having two new letters preceding our pre-existing name wouldn't be anywhere near enough for me to relinquish my support of the club. In fact, I doubt I'd barely notice.

Tom Hanks might withdraw his support

Â