our soul

Mic09

Would people be ok if we changed the identity of the club? hypothetically, say Red Bull bought us and were allowed to change the name, stadium and kit colours. Or would this be a step too far?

I'd rather not but it wouldn't greatly bother me if it came with success. We'd still be the same club and with the same history but just with a new image.

I don't see how we'd be the same club. Are the Indianapolis Colts really the Baltimore Colts? Once you change the name, the colours and potentially where the stadium is located, you become a new team. 

I would feel free not to support this new team - indeed, I would passionately despise it, as the team that ended the existence of Aston Villa. 

• Like 1

I don't see how we'd be the same club. Are the Indianapolis Colts really the Baltimore Colts? Once you change the name, the colours and potentially where the stadium is located, you become a new team. 

I would feel free not to support this new team - indeed, I would passionately despise it, as the team that ended the existence of Aston Villa.

I know nothing of NFL but looking it up, that is hardly a relevent example. Someone like Red Bull taking over doesn't involve relocation and the creation of a new franchise. All it involves is a charge of shirt colour and renaming of the stadium.

Would people be ok if we changed the identity of the club? hypothetically, say Red Bull bought us and were allowed to change the name, stadium and kit colours. Or would this be a step too far?

I'd rather not but it wouldn't greatly bother me if it came with success. We'd still be the same club and with the same history but just with a new image.

There's a huge difference between changing your name and what the Colts did. The Colts moved from Baltimore to Indianapolis, a city that is 600 miles away and in an entirely different state.

This would be like Villa moving to Carlisle or Bournemouth.

Edited by VillaHatesMe

Reading the takeover thread, every now and then somebody says something along the lines of 'i dont want a rich sheik, I want Villa to keep its soul'.

Does Ason Villa have 'a soul' for us to lose in case we spend more money then now? Did we lose our soul when Lerner first came in and started spending big? If we spend 30 million do we still remain with our soul, but is 35 just too much?

We have our souls ripped out of us most weekend.

I'm firmly in show me the big bucks camp

Everyone follows the club for a different reason. And by the same token everyone supports the club in different ways and has different expectations. For me I do feel something would be lost if we were just some Sheiks plaything. I like our history, our ground, the fact we have won stuff (albeit a long time ago, mostly) the fact the people see us as one of the big football institutions. The fact we are seen to do things "the right way" I am not really fussed about "success" as I haven't really seen much of it in the 45 years or so I have been a supporter. What is "success" anyway. It's all relative. There is a lot to be proud of at our club. And I for one don't really feel the need to feel I am supporting a team that is constantly winning stuff. Maybe I am in a minority of one in that regard.

So for me while I understand the need for a financial behemoth to own our club if we want to be challenging for the big prize I am not too bothered if that doesn't happen. As long as  every now and then we have a few years of relative good fortune I am happy. Must be easily pleased I guess!

I agree with a lot of what you say. Lots to be proud of and admire about AVFC. I'm so happy that we have won the league, won the European Cup in my life time (the proper one, for actual champions) and that I have actually seen my team win trophies in the flesh. There's a whole generation though who have never seen this - close, but no cigar.

Having tasted success, I am apathetic to contstant success, like you offer as a view as well. In essence, the pressure is off me to see Villa do really, really again. That said, I do expect us to still have a chance to compete. At the moment, it feels like we are a million miles away from being able to compete - even for a top ten finish. Will FFP allow us to compete - that I am not sure about.

I'm desperate to see Villa win the FA Cup in my life time. No excuse for 'a club of our size.' I'm also desperate for us not to slide down to League 1 etc. I think I would probably do a Ritchie Edwards.

Sadly, it takes almost unbelievable talent spotting genius, or moneybags owners with nothing else to do in their life but shower a club with their spends. I don't think we would lose our soul. I'd rather be where City are now (UEFA/FIFA troubles or not) than where we are right now. Yeah, colour me jealous.

Edited by Raver50032

I know nothing of NFL but looking it up, that is hardly a relevent example. Someone like Red Bull taking over doesn't involve relocation and the creation of a new franchise. All it involves is a charge of shirt colour and renaming of the stadium.

Well, to be fair, the post I was replying to talked about changing the name of the team as well. If Aston Villa were bought, and the team that started next season in place of Aston Villa were called Birmingham R** B**** and they played at R** B*** Park, B6, in their particular corporate colours, then no, I wouldn't regard that as the same team at all, and I wouldn't support them. 

Well, to be fair, the post I was replying to talked about changing the name of the team as well. If Aston Villa were bought, and the team that started next season in place of Aston Villa were called Birmingham R** B**** and they played at R** B*** Park, B6, in their particular corporate colours, then no, I wouldn't regard that as the same team at all, and I wouldn't support them.

I'm not sure where people get this idea that it would change to 'Red Bull Birmingham' to be honest. With every other team they have taken over, they keep the general name but add 'Red Bull' before it. So if they had their way it would be 'Red Bull Aston Villa' which isn't really a change of name but just the insertion of a sponsors' name before it. Obviously though, league rules would never allow that here so at most it would be 'RB Aston Villa' just as they've done with Leipzig.

Now I don't know about you but having two new letters preceding our pre-existing name wouldn't be anywhere near enough for me to relinquish my support of the club. In fact, I doubt I'd barely notice.

Edited by Isa

I'm not sure where people get this idea that it would change to 'Red Bull Birmingham' to be honest. With every other team they have taken over, they keep the general name but add 'Red Bull' before it. So if they had their way it would be 'Red Bull Aston Villa' here which isn't really a change of name but just the insertion of a sponsors' name before it. Obviously though, league rules here would never allow that here so at most it would be 'RB Aston Villa' just as they've done with Leipzig.

Now I don't know about you but having two new letters preceding our pre-existing name wouldn't be anywhere near enough for me to relinquish my support of the club. In fact, I doubt I'd barely notice.

A new stadium and a team called Red Bull Aston Villa is literally the last thing I would want.  It's not the same club, it's a re-branding exercise of a footballing institution.  You're taking away the essence of the club and turning it into a subsidiary of Red Bull.

**** that.  I'm always staggered by how many people want it/would be happy with it if it happened.

• Like 1

I'm not sure where people get this idea that it would change to 'Red Bull Birmingham' to be honest. With every other team they have taken over, they keep the general name but add 'Red Bull' before it. So if they had their way it would be 'Red Bull Aston Villa' here which isn't really a change of name but just the insertion of a sponsors' name before it. Obviously though, league rules here would never allow that here so at most it would be 'RB Aston Villa' just as they've done with Leipzig.

A new stadium and a team called Red Bull Aston Villa is literally the last thing I would want.  It's not the same club, it's a re-branding exercise of a footballing institution.  You're taking away the essence of the club and turning it into a subsidiary of Red Bull.

**** that.  I'm always staggered by how many people want it/would be happy with it if it happened.

Brand sponsorship is just part of the modern world. Don't see why it shouldn't apply to football clubs although isn't it unlikely that the FA would allow such a name change?

Brand sponsorship is just part of the modern world. Don't see why it shouldn't apply to football clubs although isn't it unlikely that the FA would allow such a name change?

Who knows; I think it will be allowed in years to come, yes.

To far far to far

I've mentioned this in threads before, and I'm pretty sure NurembergVillan has said something similar in that th Premier League is a completely different proposition to any other league that Red Bull are involved in.

Firstly, I don't think Red Bull are intrested in the club, so the point is moot anyway but, in the supposition that they were, they would not need to do the whole rebranding exercise akin to their other clubs, simply because of the exposure that the Premier League offers.

The other leagues have nowhere need the reach, thus requiring a pretty unsubtle rebranding to get noticed. Everyone know the owners and title sponsors of the top clubs in our league, so a full rebrand is not necessary to get the marketing message across.

Man City - Abu Dhabi and Etihad is a prime example, yet they are still called Man City and still play in their colours.

Like I said, this is all moot as Red Bull most probably aren't interested and the Premier League probably wouldn't allow such a rebrand so it's a bit of a pointless conversation. 

...Everyone know the owners and title sponsors of the top clubs in our league, so a full rebrand is not necessary to get the marketing message across...

Man City - Abu Dhabi and Etihad is a prime example, yet they are still called Man City and still play in their colours.

I doubt people worldwide know this.  I agree r.e: moot point, but assuming a Red Bull consortium did takeover Aston Villa, we'd certainly be re-branded.  It's the easy identification that companies are after, not a thought process of "wait, Aston Villa? Are they owned by Red Bull or something?".

Â