our soul

Mic09

Reading the takeover thread, every now and then somebody says something along the lines of 'i dont want a rich sheik, I want Villa to keep its soul'.

Does Ason Villa have 'a soul' for us to lose in case we spend more money then now? Did we lose our soul when Lerner first came in and started spending big? If we spend 30 million do we still remain with our soul, but is 35 just too much?

The fans are the life and soul. Keep the fans happy and keep the soul. I would argue that the last few seasons have sucked the soul from the club, a big fat injection of cash, players and belief will soon change this.

Our soul is our history, it is the reason you started supporting the club, it is personal to you. It won't change if someone comes in and spends the GDP of a small country on the team

• Like 4

Everyone follows the club for a different reason. And by the same token everyone supports the club in different ways and has different expectations. For me I do feel something would be lost if we were just some Sheiks plaything. I like our history, our ground, the fact we have won stuff (albeit a long time ago, mostly) the fact the people see us as one of the big football institutions. The fact we are seen to do things "the right way" I am not really fussed about "success" as I haven't really seen much of it in the 45 years or so I have been a supporter. What is "success" anyway. It's all relative. There is a lot to be proud of at our club. And I for one don't really feel the need to feel I am supporting a team that is constantly winning stuff. Maybe I am in a minority of one in that regard.

So for me while I understand the need for a financial behemoth to own our club if we want to be challenging for the big prize I am not too bothered if that doesn't happen. As long as  every now and then we have a few years of relative good fortune I am happy. Must be easily pleased I guess!

Edited by TrinityRoadSteps
  • Like 3

I often hear the term 'soul' used when football clubs are being sold (or under new ownership) but it just comes across as a reluctance to, or fear of, change.

AKA reactionism.

I often hear the term 'soul' used when football clubs are being sold (or under new ownership) but it just comes across as a reluctance to, or fear of, change.

I would imagine that is because for every great owner prepared to throw millions at a club there are an awful lot of bad ones.

Change isn't always for the best. 

Would people be ok if we changed the identity of the club? hypothetically, say Red Bull bought us and were allowed to change the name, stadium and kit colours. Or would this be a step too far?

It would be way to far for me. It would be MK Dons Mk2 

Would people be ok if we changed the identity of the club? hypothetically, say Red Bull bought us and were allowed to change the name, stadium and kit colours. Or would this be a step too far?

I'd rather not but it wouldn't greatly bother me if it came with success. We'd still be the same club and with the same history but just with a new image.

It would be nothing like MK Dons. They just took Wimbledon's place in the Football League but openly declare themselves as a new francise and not a continuation of Wimbledon.

I'd rather not but it wouldn't greatly bother me if it came with success. We'd still be the same club and with the same history but just with a new image.

It would be nothing like MK Dons. They just took Wimbledon's place in the Football League but openly declare themselves as a new francise and not a continuation of Wimbledon.

I know it wouldn't be exactly like the situation. But for me it would be just as contrived and plastic 

Everyone follows the club for a different reason. And by the same token everyone supports the club in different ways and has different expectations. For me I do feel something would be lost if we were just some Sheiks plaything. I like our history, our ground, the fact we have won stuff (albeit a long time ago, mostly) the fact the people see us as one of the big football institutions. The fact we are seen to do things "the right way" I am not really fussed about "success" as I haven't really seen much of it in the 45 years or so I have been a supporter. What is "success" anyway. It's all relative. There is a lot to be proud of at our club. And I for one don't really feel the need to feel I am supporting a team that is constantly winning stuff. Maybe I am in a minority of one in that regard.

So for me while I understand the need for a financial behemoth to own our club if we want to be challenging for the big prize I am not too bothered if that doesn't happen. As long as  every now and then we have a few years of relative good fortune I am happy. Must be easily pleased I guess!

At the moment we are the (no longer wanted) plaything of an american dollar billionaire. Are you OK with that? What is is it about a "sheikh" that would make him buying us unacceptable?

• Like 1

At the moment we are the (no longer wanted) plaything of an american dollar billionaire. Are you OK with that? What is is it about a "sheikh" that would make him buying us unacceptable?

I mentioned a sheik as they are generally considered to have a bob or two. So it was more a generalisation to mean a very rich persons plaything. It wasn't meant as a slight on sheiks in general.

At the moment I am OK with the situation as the person who no longer wants us is actively trying to find someone who does. 

I'm on to you, smart guy, I know what you are...straight as a corkscrew, a real Mr. Inside-Outsky like some goddamn Bolshevik picking up his orders from Yegg Central.

Â